1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggio to first?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Another Brother, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

BIGGIO: Has cost us 2 games in the outfield but is our most consistant hitter.

BAGWELL: Isn't giving us anything right now off. or def. and may need some time to "heal" properly.

LAMB: Has played OF with the Rangers, is 9 years younger than Biggs and is batting over 300 (limited AB's)

GARNER: If he's going to stay loyal to losing combinations then why fire Jimy?

I know I'm reaching and this suggestion is a little absurd, but given a little thought it might make sense for a game or two.

Let the flaming begin!

2. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Hell, why not. I'd throw the bat boy/girls out there for a game if I thought it would help.

#2 Bogey, Jul 20, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A great idea.

Biggio is a better IF and at first he has better than average range.

AB, good idea !

DD

4. Another Brother

Thanks Man, I thought it was at least thoughtworthy but my Homies think I'm on crack.

5. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

I'm willing to try about anything, but this would break the clubhouse. Baseball wise it's not a bad idea, but it's so far out of the status quo that the Astros love to live in, it'll never happen. Bags taking a seat so Biggio can play 1st? No way...

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You're homies are clowns.

;)

DD

7. mishii

mishii Contributing Member

I also actually like this idea a lot. I was at the game Saturday when Biggio's fielding costed us that game. It was downright painful to see him out there. He is swinging the bat pretty well, and Bagwell is seriously hurt or something there. We need to start winning and radical thinking is probably all that is left right now. Not sure if Garner and the rest of the Astros would do it though...

8. Another Brother

True, but in the framework of a Bagwell "injury" it may not be a bad option.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Biggio is NOT a first baseman. He has never played the position and it is more difficult to play than left field due to the number of plays he is involved in during a typical game. While a left fielder may have one "difficult" ball to get to per game, he will generally only get 2-3 fly balls per game and a few hits to field. A first baseman is involved in numerous plays from holding runners on to receiving balls in the dirt to receiving pickoff throws from the catcher and pitcher. He is generally involved in many more plays than an outfielder.

Biggio has sacrificed for this team. It is unfortunate he has had to learn an entirely new position during the season. At least when he was in CF, he fielded the balls cleanly as long as he got to them. It has been a different story in left. Granted he let a fly ball get away from him Saturday that extended the inning, but there was still two outs and 0 runs in after his misplay. At some point, the pitcher has to be responsible for picking up his fielders.

10. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

What?

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

corner spots are completely different angles. i remember the difference even in shagging balls during bp in high school. the ball jumps differently...different angles. and biggio has played up the middle his entire career before halfway through this season.

but if you have concerns about a guy's defense, you don't necessarily move him to 1B to alleviate those concerns.

i agree about saturday, though i think some runs did come in on his misplay, actually. but the next batter parked the ball in the crawford boxes...that's not biggio's fault. oswalt got hit hard.

12. bobrek

Whoops, actually there were 2 outs and one runner on base when Biggio misplayed Burroughs fly ball into a double. Even though Oswalt should have been out of the inning had Biggio played it properly, at that point, there was still 2 outs and only 1 run had scored. Baseball is a team sport and teammates have to pick each other up. Oswalt did not do that in this case. He has to accept some of the responsibility for the disaster that followed.

13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

So let me get this straight; Oswalt induces, by all accounts, a routine fly ball that would end the inning and prevent the run from scoring; but instead Biggio misplays the ball which in turn leads to a run scoring double and insuing events. I don't know what else you expect of our pitchers, but it doesn't get much easier than setting your teamates up for routine plays. It seems to me as if your priorities are a tad out of wack.

14. Another Brother

He wasn't a second baseman, center or left fielder either but in order to make the team better he learned the positions and is performing to the best of his ablility. Jeff Bagwell is hurting us on both sides of the ball, his shoulder won't even allow him to make an accurate throw to home plate, I get your logic and understand that such a move is unconventional but I don't think that we are not maximizing on the talent we have available. Biggio's biggest asset right now is his bat, but given his defensive performance that asset is a wash.

15. bobrek

Baseball is a team sport. For every error a player makes to get a pitcher into trouble, another player makes a good play to get a pitcher out of trouble. Players are going to make errors. Pitchers can't use that as an excuse for further failures in an inning.

I expect the Astros' pitchers (or any teams' pitchers) to pick their teammates up and minimize the damage done. Oswalt will be the first to tell you that he (Oswalt) didn't do his job that inning.

Sports wouldn't be as exciting if every player made every makeable play. It's how you react to adversity that defines your greatness. Biggio apparently made a bad play. Oswalt followed that up with bad pitches.

So once the third out of an inning should have been made, you don't hold the pitcher accountable if he proceeds to give up 4 straight hits? How about 8 straight? How about 12 straight? At what point do you fault the pitcher?

16. bobrek

Biggio had entire offseasons to learn and practice the intricacies of playing 2nd and CF. You can see his deficiencies with trying to make a "seemingly simple" move from CF to LF without the same preparation. Imagine the problems he would have at first base. The unconventional switch that would seemingly work would be to move Biggio back to 2nd and move Kent to first (at least he has experience there).

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Young has made the move, Womack has made the move, Catalanatto has made the move.... Enough excuses. Biggio was terrible in CF and he is terrible in LF now. NO MORE EXCUSES. THIS TEAM ALWAYS HAS EXCUSES. JUST WIN BABY!

18. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Learn a new freaking position? Are you kidding me? Moving from CF to LF is not rocket science. The Astros moved him because he was terrible out there. You guys act like Biggio is doing the Astros a favor. Lance Berkman played first base all throughout college. He has played every outfield position this year. Should we put him on a pedestal for doing that?

19. Another Brother

True, a point I didn't consider. With the way Baggy is playing tonight I may scrap this entire conversation, let's hope so.

20. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

You heard Billy D. Washington offer the same exact idea on the Mark Vandermeer show this morning.

Word for word. OR are you Billy D?

#20 moligity, Jul 20, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2004