1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest NFL draft busts?!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ESource, Jul 26, 2002.

1. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Curtis Enis.

Edit: add Tom Carter, CB to this list

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

maybe i'm just going with the flava of the month
    but NO ONE can beat Ryan Leaf

Rocket river

3. drapg

drapg Member

mandarich, klingler, ware, mirer, all good picks...

but i gotta go with leaf, only b/c he GAVE UP! he retired at age 27! he collected his millions than just up and left! and once upon a time there was a huge decision looming over the Colts franchise about whether to select Manning or Leaf. Imagine if they had chosen the latter, that franchise would be in shambles!

i don't think you can count guys that were chronically hurt, i.e. kj carter, steve emtman, etc. its not their fault. :(

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Has everyone forgot about Andre Ware?? He was awesome at UH, but damn did he suck in the NFL....

5. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

At least Mandrich eventually had a few productive seasons. Biatbakatuba had injury problems. (Gotta stick up for the Canadians ;) ).

Tom Cousineau had a nice career in the CFL. He chose the CFL over the NFL and did very well here. I don’t really call that a bust.

Andre Ware, OTOH, blew hard up here too.

Todd Mariniovich spent a year up here as a backup. He was gone the next year and there were rumours that he had been addicted to heroin while he was here. How on earth to you do heroin and play football?!

Laurence Phillips? Don’t hold your breath, but he’s having a very nice season for the Montreal Alouettes. He’s a bit nicked now, but he had a few strong games at the beginning of the season, and apart from one fairly significant training camp incident, has been a very good citizen. I predict you’ll see him in the NFL next year.

6. JamesC

JamesC Member

I saw Kwame Cavil in the NFL Europe Superbowl.

7. ESource

ESource Member

Yeah, Kwame sucked big time in the NFL but at least he was not a 1st rounder. In fact, I don't think he was even drafted but rather a free-agent.

8. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Damn how many Bears can you guys list??? :)

Cade McNown - Huge Bust! He was Ryan Leaf pt 2. Threw too many pics, couldn't stay in the pocket and scarmbled at the wrong times. The #12 pick in 1999, a HUGE bust.

Curtis Enis - #5 in the 1998 draft. Had a degenerative condition that forced him to retire in 2001. He decided to return this season with the Browns. I actually liked him more than any of the other bust listed on this page, he was a very big back and powerful. Hope he makes a good comeback with the Browns.

Rashaan Salaam (not Rasheed) - this dude had a major ankle injury. He actually put up 1,000yds his rookie season after winning the Heisman out of Colorado. Had some potential before the injury. He was the 21st pick of the first round in 1995. He fumbled too much and smoked weed while playing for the Bears.
    :eek:

Non Bears Bust:

Ryan Leaf - #1 bust

Andre Ware - Heisman Trophy QB from UH

Dan McGwire - QB Seattle #16 in 1991

David Klingler - #6 in 1992 QB for Cincinnati out of UH

Heath Shuler - QB #3 pick by Washington in the 1994 draft

KiJana Carter

I could also argue Joey Galloway and Terry Glenn, but they still have a chance to recover. Where has Chad Pennington been also? Buried on the Jets bench I guess...

9. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

What about Brian Bozworth? other than him I would go with Leaf/.
    That mention of Todd Marinovich also brings back some bad memories.

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I remember watching an Oilers preseason game vs. the Redskins in Knoxville. Shuler was a rookie or in his first year, but anyways he lit up the Oilers that night. Just thought I'd mention that.

11. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

What about Gino Toretta? Former Heisman winner, right? He sucked, I think...

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Add Jim Druckenmiller to the list.

Ki-Jana Carter and Tommy Maddox are mounting a comeback (ok, as 2nd stringers), so I'll leave 'em alone... for now.

13. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

DESMOND HOWARD.

14. Buck Turgidson

Here's my All-Bust Team ('82-'01):

QB - Ryan Leaf (2. SD '98)
    RB - Ki-jana Carter (1. CIN '95), Blair Thomas (2. NYJ '90)
    WR - Desmond Howard (4. WAS '92), J.J. Stokes (10. SF '95), Hart Lee Dykes (16. NE '89)
    OL - Tony Mandarich (2. GB '89), Antone Davis (8. PHI '91), Dave Cadigan (8. NYG '88), Brian Jozwiak (7. KC '86), Willie Anderson (10. CIN '96)

DL - Steve Emtman (1. IND '92), Aundray Bruce (1. ATL '88), Mike Mamula (7. PHI '95), Tony Casillas (2. ATL '86)
    LB - Quentin Coryatt (2. IND '92), Trev Alberts (5. IND '94), Mike Croel (4. DEN '91)
    DB - Bruce Pickens (3. ATL '91), Mossy Cade (6. SD '84), Patrick Bates (12. OAK '93), Bryant Westbrook (5. DET '97)

15. drapg

drapg Member

no all bust team is complete w/o brian bosworth!

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Kind of hard to label a Super Bowl MVP the biggest bust.

17. ESource

ESource Member

I agree! He's one I forgot on my original list........:eek:

18. ESource

ESource Member

What ever happened to him? Wasn't he injured or something? He(Alberts) and Trent Dilfer were the ones that Mel Kiper, Jr. and the Colts GM at the time(?) got into it on draft day, weren't they? That was one of the funniest thing I'd ever witnessed on live t.v.!:D

19. Buck Turgidson

When that Super Bowl MVP was drafted 4th to play WR for one team, and after showing no ability whatsoever to play WR in the NFL & getting cut, wins the MVP returning kicks for another team, yeah, I'll call him a bust.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You can call him a bust, just not the biggest bust.