1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It probably wouldn't fail in today's over-exposed college football world (where every game, no matter how obscure, gets picked up on the countless sports networks)... then again, most of the traditional conferences required radical changes to keep up with the times.

2. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

UT v OSU is not a rivalry! A couple great games a decade ago doesn't make you rivals!

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

What are you talking about? There is no rivalry between UT and Ohio St.

UT vs OU is rivalry. Ohio St. vs Michigan is a rivalry. UT vs Ohio St is not a rivalry.

4. newAge_Rockets

UH has a new football stadium, a newly renovated basketball arena coming within the year, a new basketball practice facility in progress, a previously elite basketball coach, a chance to make a big splash with a big time hire of a football coach, a tier 1 research status, a location in a big time market, and a history of athletic success. What's not to like?

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Jealous that Fort Worth gets big time college football games for the metro, while we are stuck with playing Temple here in Houston. Adding UH and Cincy doesn't seem like a bad idea imo. Maybe UCF and Colorado State as well.

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

My point is that history is what makes games interesting. That is what makes you form a rivalry. Geography does not make a rivalry in itself.

Texas fans would have picked Florida St over UH or any other texas team in a heartbeat if we could. THAT would have been a rivalry because both teams have a rich history and both have desires to be that national powerhouse. A rivalry at its core is a game that you want to play. No one at UT cares about playing any other Texas teams besides the ones in the big 12 and A&M.

I'm not just talking about Texas fans because they are the most important. It's just my context.

It's a middle ground for a coach on the way up. Brides and Sumlin both used it as a springboard. It's also an issue of wanting a school that so few people in the city it resides in cares about. UH is probably the 4th most popular team in the city. Big cities have harder times with their schools because there are so many professional teams that take priority. Miami is one of the very few exceptions. Also, the big 12 doesn't need more houses in Houston. They have a lot already. It would be good but it doesn't outweigh getting into whole new markets.

It maybe make sense to you but no school in the big 12 or administrators want it.

#26 Brando2101, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  7. Scarface281

^^Explain TCU then.

8. Brando2101

I don't understand? Why did TCU make it to the big 12? There were many factors. They are the only team in Ft. Worth and OU is big in that market. It made sense to keep 4 Texas schools and they were the best pickup from any Texas School available. In addition to the other factors, they were the only Texas team not from the big 12 that found themselves in a BCS bowl.

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I don't think Miami draws that great.

And on your rivalry take. I get it, but I don't.

THe Texas and the Florida State's of the world have history yes, but none of it involving each other. Texas has it's history with the Oklahomas and A&Ms.

Just because they enter a conference doesn't mean they're automatic rivals. The only thing they got going is names. They got to do it on the field.

What Houston needs to do to get in, which is probably too late, was win the conference year in and year out in CUSA, and now the AAC. Hope to get an undefeated year, and challenge a team in the BCS. That times over.

In closing, poach from the ACC, and get a combination of Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, and New Jersey IT who beat Michigan at basketball.

10. Major

Major Member

All the ACC schools signed one of those media rights agreements that makes it difficult, if not impossible, for any of them to leave. The Big12 missed its opportunity to really grab any of the bigger name schools - the big 5 conferences did a good job locking themselves up pretty well.

11. JamesC

JamesC Member

This...didnt they have a chance to add Louisville a couple years ago? I thought that would've been a no brainer.

12. Brando2101

They picked up West Virginia instead of Louisville. Rumor was that they could have picked up Florida St and Clemsen a year before. Those two schools voted against giving up their media money if they left the conference but were overruled and are now stuck in the ACC conference.

I think they got a good TV deal though, didn't they?

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.espn929.com/johnmartin/Nashville-radio-host-Memphis-to-the-Big-12/20457311

Nashville radio host: Memphis to the Big 12

And the realignment rumors keep spinning.

According to a radio host in Nashville on 102.5 the game, the Big 12 — which does not currently have a championship game — is going to add two more teams in the offseason and, according to his information, those two teams will be Cincinnati and Memphis.

This, of course, isn’t Pat Forde or Pete Thamel reporting here. But it’s certainly fun to think about, isn’t it?

The Tigers won the American Athletic Conference this season, their first conference championship in football since 1971. Coach Justin Fuente has led one of the more impressive turnarounds in the country, taking the Tigers from 3-9 in 2013 to 9-3 just a year later.

“I’m being told that (FedEx CEO) Fred Smith has obviously opened up the checkbook and is helping ease this process along,” Darren McFarland said today on Sports Night.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

You mean bigger names like Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and Texas A&M? I guess those bigger name schools didn't want to be a part of Conference Big 12 USA.

Conference Big 12 USA has become a second tier conference. Teams like Memphis, Cincinnati, and UCF aren't going to change that.

15. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I hope this is true. I really don't care who the teams are, I just want to get back to 12 schools. UC seems like the most obvious choice, Mem could be good too I guess. Especially for basketball.

16. Scarface281

In my time living in DFW, I met many OU fans. It was the number three school for people in my graduating class. Add Texas and now TCU, and you have a pretty crowded Big 12 market there. So, why couldn't Houston support a Big 12 school? The only reason TCU is in the Big 12 is because of the residual effects of their Rose Bowl run. If UH had not lost back in 2011 and made it to a BCS bowl and won, they may have been picked instead.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

TCU was picked because, at the time, the BCS ruled the landscape, and TCU was fresh off a Rose Bowl win. The Big 12 was in absolute panic mode and took the winningest program it could find to keep up with the Jones'. Not that TCU was a bad pickup, far from it, but the Big 12 overlap in the DFW market was considerable before TCU... now it's just silly.

UH was in the middle of its crazy 2011 season when TCU was invited, so, regardless of the outcome of the USM game, UH was a day late and a dollar short there. Bad timing can't be helped sometimes. If the realignment wheel had started spinning in 2012, things likely end up different.

Now here we sit with a great stadium and a crappy program, instead of vice versa. Le sigh. But at the end of the day, there's as much merit now for including UH as virtually any other G5 program, despite what naysayers may convince themselves of. UH's secret weapon this time around is friends in high places. Let's see how it goes.

1 person likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

No, I mean bigger names like FSU, Louisville, Clemson, GaTech and others that had indicated interest in moving to the Big12. People on FSU's board openly said they were interested. The opportunity existed when the ACC and BigEast were being poached and on the verge of collapse. Instead, the Big12 was arrogant and thought they were fine and didn't need to expand. The Big East did collapse while the ACC went out and poached others and then locked everyone into media rights agreements.

19. Major

Major Member

It wasn't a Rose Bowl run. It was a decade of college football relevance. And the Texas AD hated UH and had decided never to play them again.

20. Major

Major Member

For comparison, for the decade before joining the Big12, TCU had finished their season ranked 8 times, including 3 top 10 finishes in 2008, 2009, and 2010. They had coaching stability and had won 5 conference titles (1 CUSA, 4 MWC) over that period.

UH had finished ranked once, #18 in 2011. They had one CUSA Title in a season they went 10-4.