1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biden v Sanders debate thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tmoney1101, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't give me that, "perhaps you're okay with cuts to SS and Medicaid as a political bargaining tool against an opposition party" nonsense. I was a Democrat then and a voter who followed politics. I knew what was going on, and I sure as hell was against cutting either one. So was Biden. He did what he had to do to get amendments added to the bill that lessened the damage.

Like I said, you simply don't understand how government works. Again, Bernie was an independent who could vote any way he wished. That includes Bernie voting against the Brady Bill. Do you know what the Brady Bill is? If not, look it up. The NRA hated it.

Politics is simplistic to you, Nick, and politics, in reality, is anything but simplistic. Both Biden and Sanders know this. Bernie decided to pretend that he doesn't.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The effort by his supporters is convincing others online that he's going to get out the vote, not actually getting out to vote.

Influencer status is how you make a real difference, not that sucker feet-on-the-ground bullshit.

When people agree with you online, you are heard!

When you're going door to door to tell people of Bernie, and they slam the door on your face, that's just rude people who don't get it. Whatever!!

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's exactly what I'm going to give you Deck because it's what you are defending. Tell me, were there Dems at the same time who disagreed with Biden's vocal support for freezes? You're pretending as if Biden's position was the Dem position, we both know it wasn't. The dem position is that those programs are not on the table in negotiations, thank god.

I know what the Brady bill is, I disagree with Bernie on his votes against it. Amazing right? How could it be?

Politics are not simple Deck, you're just trying to paint me as simple, which is why these posts are sad coming from you.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It was a very substantive debate without an audience. Not having an audience present was such a breath a fresh air. I’m not sure why it took the damn Coronavirus to make people realize having an audience was a detriment.

That said, it was a repetitive exercise in debating votes/stances taken 20+ years ago, and Bernie attempting to point out how he was always to the left of whatever the particular issue was.

Tonight absolutely will not change the trajectory of this very much decided Democratic primary. Bernie didn’t go down without a fight, however this was very much what the critics said: Bernie posturing and attempting to push Biden as far to the left as possible.

Now the ball is in Bernie’s court. I’ve been saying for weeks he drops out tomorrow (Monday) to avoid a massacre on Tuesday. Perhaps his people are selling him on the idea of the virus suppressing turnout and skewing the results. Either way, the next couple of weeks will be telling. Bernie either learned a major lesson in 2016...or this really is about vanity.

RayRay10, joshuaao and ryan_98 like this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I agree @baller4life315 I think all future debates should be done without a paid audience in this format. If they want an audience it should be the townhall formats that CNN has done throughout this season.

RayRay10, ElPigto, ryan_98 and 2 others like this.
  6. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Why does it matter what he said 20 years ago if he has never actually voted to cut SS and isn't advocating for it?

jcf and Nook like this.
  7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Also, Biden was very wise to use any oxygen not already consumed by the Coronavirus discussion to announce his intention to nominate a female VP.

That will be the dominating headline from this debate. Any punches he might have taken, in a debate not many will pay attention to, will be overlooked because of that major announcement.

Optics 101

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's just not something the left puts on the table, so it brings concerns over his values personally. As you said, it was 20 years ago, he isn't advocating for it now, so it means something but not everything.

His lying about it today though is a whole different topic, I've had enough lies from the current president, it's disappointing to see from Joe.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was put on the table as a tactic to call Republicans bluff. It was successful at doing that. To try and make that an issue now, isn't really helpful, honest, or worthwhile.

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has been one of my chief reasons for not supporting him. He can’t build a coalition that actually votes. His two campaigns have promised massive youth turnout to counter weaknesses among almost all other demographics, but they are not showing up and, in turn, he blames “the establishment.” Well, the “establishment” looks an awful lot like African Americans and more moderate suburban voters who flipped the House in 2018.

Bernie is an insurgent and the Democrats, to borrow from LBJ, thought they could keep him pissing inside the tent. But that doesn’t mean he won’t step outside and piss all over the tent when it’s clear that being aligned with them no longer suits him.

RayRay10, joshuaao and Nook like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Or Joe was willing to put it on the table.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Why ? For saying most of them aren't paying attention ? You really think they are watching the Dem debate ?

Or for saying Bernie Bro's are saying Biden's cognitive ability is poor / questionable ? .... which is an absolute fact as they have done it here on countless occasions.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sure , but not in any great number when it comes to the Trump voters , I just don't think they care much at all right now or really who he faces in the GE.

The Bernie crowd on the other hand .... this is game 7 for them & they already feel cheated with the rest of the field having moved out of Biden's way.

Just my opinion which could be wrong ..... or not.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

And that's part of why I don't think the Trump supporters care if Biden is the nom or that they want to question his cognitive ability "Right Now" at all .... They want that ammunition for the GE.

Those two issues (Ukraine / Hunter) and his "dementia" will be the two of the main things Trump hammers him on .... I'd bet they have multiple investigations going on right now into Hunter and his dealings.

I feel like Trump supporters prefer Biden as the candidate to Bernie .... There's more dirt on him while Bernie's just crazy economically.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Just now watching the taped debate. First thought is that Bernie was so obvious with his overpreparred attack on social security that it comes off as silly. It’s just insane to think that any Democrat is going to cut social security. It’s like when Tulsi Gabbard tried to insinuate that Mayor Pete was proposing invading Mexico with our troops. It’s a disingenuous gotcha attack.

Bernie is staying in obviously because he has a platform and doesn’t want to give that up. He probably also knows this is the last time he’ll really be taken seriously and wants to leave his mark. I can respect that but I just wish he wasn’t spending that last breath going negative and using Trump like tactics instead of just using his platform to bring in more unlikely voters to vote Democratic in November regardless of who the candidate is.

18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I'll be shocked if Trump does one debate?

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure that was part of calling the bluff. Sanders understood that. I can respect Sanders if he said, I'm not going to put things on the table to call out the opposition. I want politics to move away from those games, so I won't do that.

But it just isn't genuine to claim Biden really wanted or was willing to do that.