1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bible] Let's find something more boring than politics to discuss

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FranchiseBlade, Jan 15, 2020.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, I'm reading this book called "What is the Bible...?"

Basically, it talks about how just reading the bible literally means that you've done it wrong.

So one thing I've read that sums up his approach to biblical stories is this.

You see a woman in the baggage claim area at the airport. A man is waiting for her and they hug then head out the exit.

It isn't a big deal and it happens all of the time. You don't worry about who they are to each other or why they are hugging or what it means. It happens hundreds of times daily at airports all over the world.

But... if you knew that the man and women were brother and sister and the woman had been working in Malawi as a doctor and hadn't been home for three years, and their father had just been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, and the two of them were seeing each other for the first time in three years before going to the hospital to say goodbye to their dying father, the hug has much more and possibly different meaning that what you did when you looked at just the 'literal' hug and didn't know any of the context.

The story changes again if it is a husband of a woman who had given up her dreams of being a sculptor to be a mother and put food on the table, and at 40 felt like her dream was dead and got totally depressed. The husband then started working an extra job, cleared out space in the basement, and made it possible for the woman to make some sculptures and she's returning from NY after selling to pieces of her work and signing a contract for a show at a SoHo gallery. They worked hard together and it paid off for them.

So, the more context one can know the better the understanding there will be.

Feel free to discuss, disagree, and tell me I'm a heathen and the anti-Christ.

2. havoc1

havoc1 Member

I’ve read that book and I love it. I used to be pretty “fundamental” in my beliefs, especially about the Bible. Over the years as I’ve read more and learned more that has changed tremendously.

Books like Bell’s and Pete Enns’ resonate with me. I love the history around how the Bible came about, and I really love not having to tie my beliefs to a literal understanding of each story, especially when that is so obviously an anachronistic and incorrect way to read them.

Nook, MadMax, CometsWin and 2 others like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not exactly my area, but I do know that the attempt to "demythologize" biblical studies in the mid-twentieth century was influenced a great deal by Rudolph Bultmann, fwiw. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Bultmann

interesting topic

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Very cool. I will read about him today. I haven't had the chance, yet. Thanks for sharing the info.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I go to an evangelical church that believes in the inerrancy of the Word. And your example looks like a complete strawman to me. Sermons are always putting the words and stories of the Bible into a metaphysical context. Never have I heard it preached "yeah, one time Jesus went to a well and a woman gave him some water. The end." I haven't read the book. Maybe you didn't do it justice or maybe I'm not smart enough to get it. But, it feels like it's arguing against an approach that doesn't exist.

Oh and you're a heathen and the anti-Christ. :p

mikol13, mdrowe00 and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its important to keep in mind that the New Testament isn't one book. It is 4 independent synoptic stories of Jesus' life that conflict with each other at times, a bunch of personal letters written by church leaders well after the death of Jesus, and then the Revelation of John which has more issues that I care to detail now (Martin Luther advocated it be removed from the Bible). The lineup of books that were included (and which books were excluded) wasn't finalized until 500 years after Jesus died, and the lineup was chosen by committees.

It's not so much a unified book as a compilation of short stories and various writings.

#6 Ottomaton, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Nook, MadMax, BigDog63 and 4 others like this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Exactly. The book I mentioned discusses all of that and advocates that anyone whether they are a follower or not should read the bible with all of that in mind.

He calls it reading literately rather than literally.

MadMax likes this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'm certainly not doing it justice. The video does a better job explaining it than I did. As an example, he mentions the story of Jonah. He talks about people arguing about whether a big fish swallowed or didn't swallow Jonah. Each side has their reasons why they believe a big fish did swallow him or didn't. But he says that is missing the point.

Many folks feel like the point of the story is that Jonah disobeyed God was punished by being eaten by a fish, but after Jonah prayed he was spat out and then followed God's commands.

Bell points out that is only part of the story and probably not the most important part.

Israel had been oppressed and brutalized by their neighbors the Assyrians for generations. The Assyrians were definitely the long sworn enemy of the Israelites. But God asks Jonah to go and bless Ninevah which is a large Assyrian city. This is why Jonah runs the other way. He isn't ready to forgive and bless his enemy.

It turns out that when does go and bless the enemy they are receptive to God's message and are in fact blessed. At the end of the story, Jonah is so depressed he wants to end his life.

So there is more to the story than just obey God. It is about a god asking the followers to bless their enemy. It is about showing that people who you consider your enemy might be more open and receptive than you believe or even than you yourself are. And the very last line of the story is God asking Jonah, "Should I not have concern for the great city of Ninevah?" It is a story about forgiveness acceptance and not just simple obedience.

I'm probably still not doing it justice. But among the many ideas being discussed is that, like Shakespeare, the more you dig under the surface and learn about context and the way people at the time were thinking etc. there is a lot more to the stories than what is commonly discussed.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Man, I don't think I've ever had a woman come into baggage claim to meet me and hug me. Women suck. They make you stand outside on the curb, while they arrive late, then tell you to jump in amidst honking because they double park.

am I doing it right?

CometsWin, B@ffled, da_juice and 2 others like this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

To expand on your comment.

Bible means 'biblia', which is translated to Holy Books. In the standard protestant Bible, it consists of 66 books. The Roman Catholic has more.

I find the Bible very fascinating and one of most interesting books I've ever read. That said, I can't have a serious conversation with anyone who blindly calls the Bible full of hypocrisy and hate. Its extremely complex, covers thousands of years and a mixture of different cultures. But it is fun to use it against the hard line believers who blindly follow the pulpit.

ElPigto and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

So it's not His story but Allegory? Who'd 'a thunk it...

Nook, ElPigto, KingCheetah and 2 others like this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

btw: fwiw: One of the great things I learned at Rice wrt reading historical texts is we must always read them with time and place (context) in mind, before we can compare them to similar-topic texts of early and later times/contexts. Only then can we really understand their place in history, and learn the most from them.

I think it was a History of Science class where that light-bulb went off, when we were reading the works of paradigmatic shifts in math and science. ... and placing them in their time and place with works of Religion and Philosophy.

All Deconstruction Movements are fascinating in this regard, too.

#12 heypartner, Jan 15, 2020
    Nook, DFWRocket, malakas and 3 others like this.
  13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

@FranchiseBlade the fault may be mine. When I see criticisms of "literal interpretations" I understand it as a criticism of a fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible as literally the divine Word of God. What you describe though seems more like an argument against uneducated and unsophisticated understandings of the Bible. I go to a well-educated church so maybe I just haven't seen it. But, I guess I wouldn't be shocked to learn that there's some little independent churches out there preaching while they have hardly any understanding of the Bible themselves.

Maybe @Rox>Mavs can come for another Christianity thread?

Many years ago when I started dating and then married a Christian woman and went to church, I was endlessly fascinated with how complex and nuanced theology, biblical scholarship and interpretation could get. As I reasoned then, western civilization has devoted its best people to this study for over a millennium. They should have produced lots of good scholarship on it by now. So I think I might understand the appeal of the book. But now I'm tired. All those hours in church and I still go to hell in the end. :(:p

mdrowe00 likes this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yeah, I think both things can be true. There are definitely Christians that get angry when you try and bring context into a bible story and claim that it is trying to change the meaning or obscure the simple 'truth' of the words. There are also many who don't know the context.

I am not educated enough to understand all of the contexts behind the different stories. I don't have the history, knowledge of Hebrew or ancient Greek, and familiarity of rabbinical traditions to understand all of the layers involved to make the story-telling more interesting and the messages more clear. So I need things like this to help me. Of course, I presume that other folks might be as ignorant of these details as I am but they probably aren't at all.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think there are a lot of people who simply don't feel comfortable around ambiguity and uncertainty. Reading the Bible, placing it in historical context, and parsing clear meaning from vast amounts of information is simply too much for them to do. They need to be told exactly how to act to be right with God, and making judgements about unclear instructions (i.e. thinking) is too much to ask. If you can convince them God wants x, nothing makes them happier than following orders and following a clear set of rules.

Then there are other people who like to tell people exactly how to act so they can feel important, and saying God wants you to do what I say is the ultimate appeal to (the ultimate) authority and having people fall in line behind them makes them feel important and powerful. Not saying they are lying or manipulating people, but when they are ordering people how to get right with God, they feel awesome, and they interpret that as God's blessing or whatever.

In short, there are some people who feel most comfortable when they are being told what to do, and there are some other people who really only feel great when they are telling other people what to do. Not a religion-exclusive problem but it seems to find a fertile breeding ground in religion. Taken to its most extreme, you end up with Jim Jones and The People's Temple. But just as Ebola is a virus that infects it's hosts and kills them within three weeks, other viruses like herpes that are more of a slow burn that move in, rearrange the furniture, and never kills its host. Its kind of a religious co-dependent synergy and not terribly healthy for either party, but it seems to be human nature.

So in summation, I love the topic at hand, but I think human nature may prevent universal acceptance of the principals laid down.

#15 Ottomaton, Jan 15, 2020
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I thought the title said [Biden].

Ottomaton likes this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Good point. I was just wondering if maybe religion might be a strong enough motivator to help them if they wanted to get more out of it and do more thinking. But I'm probably dream casting.

18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

One of my favorite quotes is from a Nazi..."The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork."

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Good luck with that one...

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. Exiled

Exiled Member

Jesus spoke Aramic

Nook and Rashmon like this.