1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better Call Saul Season 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 13, 2017.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Her full name on the show is Lydia Rodarte-Quayle. I've always thought that maybe, with her maiden name being of Spanish / Latin decent, that she's some how connected through a Chilean associate. Like Gus's former partner that was killed by the cartel in Breaking Bad.

Just me speculating

2. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I thought in BB it was presented that Madrigal was a long time business partner with Los Pollos..

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I got the impression from this past episode that it was already the case. Gus seems to have working with Lydia for a decent amount of time in BBC.....Mike's money laundering was new....

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Los Pollos is one of Madrigal's franchises... and it seems to be a mega-company that has investments in all sorts of different ventures (automotive, chemical, restaurant, factory) that it sets up as the perfect cover/guise for both money laundering and shielding a drug-making/importing enterprise.

Its also clear that the heads of Madigral are well aware of Fring's (and Lydia's) exploits, hence why the president of the company commits suicide in the BB episode called "Madrigal".

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Feel like I need to rewatch BB... I'm missing a lot of these references.

Plus I haven't been completely focused on the past few episodes of BCS, so I need to rewatch those too.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, pretty obvious they've been working together a lot. My question is in this pre-manufacturing of meth days, what does she do?

She's reselling meth from Mexico to her German clients, already? Is Gus moving that much. Maybe since he's significantly outselling Hector

He doesn't need money laundering more than the restaurant business provides, right?; he doesn't need chemicals in his resell/pre-manufacturing era; and they just now found the dry cleaner, but she's apparently been working for awhile with him

#386 heypartner, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  7. Roscoe Arbuckle

Far too much blood on the face after the accident. Air bags can bruise and even break bones, but they don't cut up a face like that.

8. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

When the actors like your tweets (yes, I'm a pathetically dedicated fan- plus, I'm the moderator on a Better Call Saul fan page, so I try to supply content when I can):

@MandoMichael "Sons have always a rebellious wish to be disillusioned by that which charmed their fathers." - A Huxley. TY, M. Mando.

Michael Mando
    11:38 PM - 12 Jun 2017

@rheaseehorn Night of the Hunter clip in EP9. Famous line: "Don't he ever sleep?" Apropos to Ms. Wexler. GetWellSoon, KWexBestEvaLwyer (!)

Rhea Seehorn
    10:54 PM - 12 Jun 2017

@PatrickFabian "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a FALL." Also, scary good acting, PF. Every coyote=ugly in S3 EP9.

Patrick Fabian
    10:25 PM - 12 Jun 2017

GRENDEL likes this.
  9. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

You can definitely get cut - just not sure to that degree. Friend had 2 cuts on his face from it- again, not like that depiction, though.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I assume that his business has begun to "boom" so to speak, hence the need for a larger manufacturing plan (the dry cleaning location).

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Also, aren't these late 90's/early 2000's era air-bags?

kaleidosky likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep... and keep in mind, he already had the lab constructed/built and had hired/trained Gail Bedeker well before he entrusted Walt with the mass production task.

His original plan has always been to manufacture the supply himself and control all lines of supply for sale.

It was only when Walt's product started getting popular, and by chance they were arranged to meet (by Saul), that Gus decided to change the plan to include Walt in his future enterprise (when secretly, he was just going to have Walt train Gail and then eventually be able to get rid of Walt).

GRENDEL likes this.
  13. heypartner

Wait!? Are you guys fast-forwarding too much. Do you think he's making meth right now, out of a trailer some where, or crack house. Seems risky to me, not only to hide from police, but to hide from the "Pool Man" in Mexico.

Wouldn't that actually be considered going against his boss. Seems to me he is still just planning a break from being only the distributor, but hasn't done it, yet. That's what I think is going on.

I don't think he needs money laundering at all from Madrigal. Walt and Skyler only need one car wash to wash their money. I think maybe he views Lydia and Madrigal as ways to help him expand the # of restaurants faster with capital, and make a break from the Cartel to make and sell his own....and no longer be just the middle-man....with Madrigal access to chemicals and distribution, and legitimizing the rapid expansion of his restaurants.

14. heypartner

awesome. Those are hard to read and figure out who liked what. Do you know how to embed a tweet here? Just copy the link, don't use the "Embed Tweet" option at twitter.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Logistics Consultant. LOL.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

By this point, Madrigal technically is the parent company of Los Pollos Hermanos.

They're also likely funding the franchise with full knowledge that its a front for drug importing, and Lydia is merely their appointed representative to handle Fring's enterprise personally.

Why they became connected in the drug game to begin with is unknown... but Gus partnering with a huge multi-national conglomerate to help cover his tracks is a pretty smart way to stay under the radar.

Also, he's still relying heavily on trucks to transport the product... its probably still being made across the border.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm like a parrot with my complaints about the show.
    I appreciate great acting. I appreciate a natural flow and timeline to storytelling.
    But outside of the inherent fact that we know Jimmy is on a progression to Saul, which we know because of BB, this show isn't telling much of a story, imo.
    I keep waiting for "something" to happen. Even the final scene... could have been more impactful.

I'll keep watching, because it is still so well done despite the glacial pace...

18. heypartner

We actually don't even know if they are connected in the drug game at all. Fring is only a middle man, with no money-laundering needs that his original Los Polos stores can't absorb itself, like Walt's the car wash.. I'm not really seeing a need for Fring to trust and partner very much, until maybe when he starts manufacturing.. Lydia actually could be the only one that knows anything, and maybe very little.

We still could have some Chilean-based connection between Lydia and Fring, or if not, Fring could have approached her and Madrigal legitimately, with Lydia only later catching onto the full opportunities and nervously seeking them out.

Do we know Madrigal execs are running the show or something high level? Lydia always seems to be very nervous like only she is doing something, and she is just hiding in plan sight within a massive global holding company..At this point, Fring might only have connected with them/her for legitimate capital to expand the number of stores more quickly without drawing attention, based upon a valid business plan of franchising his restaurants....and execute the next plan of the dry cleaner.

Anyhoot, I think we find Madrigal has no idea what is going on except Lydia, and maybe she doesn't know much now, or she has a Chilean connectio with him

#398 heypartner, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But when the head of Madrigal eventually commits suicide with an impending DEA raid of his company.... you are able to connect the dots that "somebody" up high knows what Los Pollos Hermanos really is.

Lydia is the middle-man... or moreso simply the liason that is able to hide the dealings of Madrigal funds as it relates to the drug enterprise. I doubt she's legitimately helping him look at laundromat factories nor is she legitimately helping him help Mike launder his money.

I dunno... again, with the head of the company commiting suicide eventually... that certainly is quite the reaction for somebody who wasn't going to be implicated.

We already know that isn't the case.... certain members of Madrigal are very much involved in Fring's enterprise in just a few short years from now.

20. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

That wasn't the head of Madrigal. He was a director of one of Madrigal's divisions. The head was the dude in the black turtleneck @ the meeting with the DEA.