1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better Call Saul Season 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 13, 2017.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Great slow-burn episode. You know it'll get faster-paced, so I like that they have the balls to include scenes like Mike taking apart the car. Terrific acting, beautifully shot, and very foreboding. But it's not like Breaking Bad. Very few people get killed. It's a different kind of tension.

More than anything, I appreciate that they respect their audience's intelligence enough to not explain verbally what Mike and Chuck are doing- but rather allow the audience to figure it out.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Seeing this episode reminded me of all the things I hate about this show.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  3. dandorotik

That's actually a good thing- better for that to happen in the first episode so that you save time not having to watch the other 9. That was my reaction the first time I watched "Mad Men." Appreciated the artistry, but it just rubbed me the wrong way from EP 1 and I didn't have to watch the rest. Eventually, I watched some episodes- I can see why people liked it. It just never stuck with me.

4. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I don't know why people complain so much about the show. It's like all they want is fast-paced and breaking bad and NCIS and 24 type action

too bad the season is not 12 episodes instead of 10 which would be perfect

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think most people are okay with slow-paced episodes, but at this point we are three seasons in and it still feels like a slow-paced introduction/set-up for the future, which other shows wrap up in the first half of season 1.

With Mike, Tuco, Gus etc being in the picture, you'd expect some action at least.

6. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

my guess is we will get gus' backstory this season which has long been questioneed since bb. I am guessing this season is the one where Saul get stabbed in the back and can never forgive chuck so he breaks bad and leaves.

we got mikes backstory in season 1, and learned some things about tuco and crazy 8...saul is already starting to break bad and we are seeing it more and more.

The thing is its still a prequel and none of the main characters can get killed off.

7. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

The writers admitted they wanted to make this show a comedy and you can tell they had no idea where they were going with this sometimes. sometimes it seems like they cannot fill out 10 episodes and it becomes slow burning, but I don't mind

also it sounds like they don't want to get to that saul from breaking bad yet because to be honest the fans want drama and action with some comedy sprinkled in over just a comedy. bb saul was more about kicks and giggles.

Yung-T likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think it will ever get to the fast pace of BB honestly speaking.

Walter and Pinkman were really cruising with that Ferrari in terms of pace.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is sadly not for everyone. If you do not like the small characters around Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks this would not be recommended to the average banana.

It will pick up with all the Gustavo, Salamanca Cartel thing but you know Jimmy will try to stay out of trouble for most of the episodes for Kim's sake.

Couple fights and very platonic romance between boring lawyers is all we could get for couple of episodes.

They have to get Walter and Pinkman back on this with cameos.

I am more interested in the Eugene character at this point.

#29 daywalker02, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol if Saul is breaking bad, then Walter White was the ultimate drug kingpin.

Oh wait..... that he was.

Saul just turned a small time crook in place of a small time lawyer. Nothing major.

11. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

"Come ooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, let's GO!!! More killing, more zombies, give us the DROP!!!!"

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i missed what was on the cassette tape when ernesto turned it on? was it jimmy confessing or chucks voice? i couldnt tell. did chuck want ernesto to hear it?

14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Interesting start to the season. Loved taking apart the car to find the tracking device. Good stuff.

I had forgotten a bit of the back story and wished I had rewatched the last season before last night.

15. SuraGotMadHops

Yeah I'm trying to figure that out too, it sounded like Chuck's voice. It also seems like Chuck wanted Ernie to hear it. Anybody know?

16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I actually had the exact same reaction to Mad Men.

I can acknowledge it seems like a decent enough show, but I watched like the first 8 episodes and it just never grabbed me. I think if they focused a bit more on the actual advertising business boardroom stuff, like where they're coming up with the pitch for cigarettes, then it would interest me a bit more.

This is pretty much my feeling. I still enjoy this show for what it is, definitely... if it continued to be this slow I'd still watch it and enjoy it. But it also feels like it's been teasing to pick up for like two seasons now. I want to see Jimmy make the transition to being Saul, and see him actually operating like that day-to-day for awhile. Of course once you make that transition, you can't go back. Still, once you're there, you could stay there for a pretty long time, since I don't believe Breaking Bad ever called out how long Saul had been in business exactly, before he met Walter & Jesse (though maybe my obscure Breaking Bad knowledge is lacking).

And heck, you could even overlap into the Breaking Bad timeline. There's plenty that Jimmy was doing on his own while Breaking Bad was focused on other characters, surely.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

well, i started watching it somewhat late... but still feel asleep 20 minutes in... so, yeah...
    As others have said, I don't mind and actually can appreciate their pace somewhat.
    But there's great, slow paces storytelling, and there's glacial speed story telling and this is getting close to the later.
    I'd also add, from pretty much the beginning, I've been confused and disappointed by the Chuck storyline.
    Not confused as I can't follow-it, confused as to what they were thinking going this direction. I mean it's just weird, and just frankly not that interesting with this weird mental illness thing. And to the extent it was interesting, it has also dragged on WAY too long. Enough scenes with tin foil, and cell phones in mailboxes.

Sounds like I'd definitely be out on this show.. but I'm going to stick with it. I love the Odenkirk character and the Banks character, and look forward to familiar BB faces being introduced. And am certainly interested to see how the Cinnabon storyline unfolds.

But this isn't close to the level of show/story-telling that BB is, and in 2017, with so so many more viewing options, isn't a top show on at the moment, imo.

As an aside, a great example of "slow" story-telling that still moves the story along would be The Expanse.

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

It was Saul mid-confession. I don't think Ernesto was suppose to hear it as he accidentally hit play. Maybe Chuck is worried he'll to go to Saul and tell him about it.

jo mama likes this.
  19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Just watched talking Saul. Vince said he was watching one of the mixes of an episode from later this season and it felt like he was watching the 63rd episode of breaking bad. they went on to talk about how the intersecting part of a venn diagram of BB and BCS grows larger this season.

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. dandorotik

Personal taste. Some of my favorite films are more character-driven than action-focused. Taxi Driver, 2001, Midnight Cowboy, even The French Connection. I didn't understand at first why they spent so much screentime on the surveillance - thought it made the movie drag. Then I got it.

CCity Zero likes this.