1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BETA Sign-Up] Movie Pass Service

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, Jan 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Nice.

fwiw, I did check in for a 9:50 showing of Silver Lining Playbook (watched it already) and was able to buy a ticket for The Last Stand at 10:20pm. Depending if I'm in a good mood after the Rockets game tonight if I'll watch the movie or not

Also, just for the hell of it, I tried to purchase 2 tickets instead of 1, and the kiosk gave me an error that it didn't accept, so I went to previous screen and changed it to 1, no issues.

btw, Movie 43 was HORRIBLE, pretty disappointed about it

Its billed monthly. It only good for 1 ticket per day.

It only works for 2D movies so far. I hear they are going to have an option in the future for 3D/Imax. I'm going to try to get a 3D showing next time to see if it'll work. Then again, nobody is going to stop you if you go to the other theater that's showing the 3D/Imax version, if they are not checking tickets. Did that when I watched Skyfall to see the Imax version, the fake one AMC uses that is....

2. VanityHalfBlack

Tried the card today and went and saw Silver Lining Playbook/ like what you guys said, it told me 30 mins on the kiosk screen to purchase tickets, very convenient and I can get used to this... As for the movie, it was pretty damn good and I mean it's a game changer for Rom-Com... This is also the 2nd David O Russell movie I liked since The Fighter, good job sir.. The movie going experience was ****, the place was dead like a shady motel in the middle of nowhere... Didn't feel like going to the movies like it used to be the place was just freaking dead...
    What happen to the movie culture in Houston??? Did it just get murdered like the AFC at the Pro-Bowl yesterday?

3. Dave2000

Which theater did u go to?

I was 1 of 3 people watching The Last Stand at 10:30pm on a Monday evening lol

Good movie by the way :)

Agree with Silver Lining Playbook, came out of nowhere for me. I didn't think the mom deserved a Academy Award nom tho..... Definitely agree with the other 3. I am so in love with Jennifer Lawrence

4. VanityHalfBlack

It was at the West Oak/Westheimer Regal Cinemas.. Brand new theater actually and also where dreams come to die!!! The auditoriums are very small for small movies and even the big blockbuster movies, not that many seating... I guess it's meant to be an intimate setting..

5. Dave2000

Got u, yea, it's a nice theater, I went when they had their "test" run the week before it opened, watched "21 Jump Street" for the 100th time. The theater I watched it at, the entrance was in the middle of the theater, which was kinda of weird. Wonder how long it's going to last, kinda of sucked that Alamo Drafthouse closed that location even though they have the Mason location. Can't wait when they open the one in midtown, I can catch a movie now right after a Rockets game.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Thanks for the info, guys.

7. Nero

Nero Member

I just wanted to *EMPHASIZE* that, contrary to the OP's post stating that this service is good for TWO tickets per movie, this is in fact only good for ONE ticket.

This is a HUGE difference.

$30 per month for a pair of tickets is a good deal.

$30 per month for a single ticket? Meh, when you can get a matinee or some theaters evening showings (such as Studio Movie Grill) for $5, $30 per month is not a particularly good deal. You would have to watch 6 movies per month, every month, just to break even, much less make it a better value than just going to the theater and buying a ticket.

If you are single, and you see a LOT of movies, then yeah, this is a pretty decent deal. But if you have an SO, or God forbid a family, this is basically worthless.

Just wanted to make sure that everyone understands this, as I was about 2 seconds away from making a year-long commitment to the service, based on the OP's claim that this is good for a pair of tickets.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

LOL so I guess you only read the original post in here? We CLEARLY STATED SEVERAL TIMES afterwards that the service is for one ticket only. When I posted this originally, my friend told me it was for 2. When I actually got the invitiation, I later found out it was for 1 ticket. If i could edit my original post, I would. I cannot, but if you can, please do. Thanks for trying to put me on blast though.

9. VanityHalfBlack

The whole point of having a movie pass is for people who watches a **** ton of movies in the first place.. It's your own fault that this card is worthless to you...

10. Nero

Nero Member

Not blasting you dude. But having read the thread, and yes I saw that a few times people did mention that it was for a single ticket, it still was not clear enough, imho. None of the replies actually specifically addressed/clarified/corrected the original post. If someone was single, and only wanted to buy one ticket, then they would say that they got one ticket. So it was still vague enough that it needed some specific clarification, that's all.

Just trying to help people avoid making a mistake. I appreciate your sharing it with everyone here, and I was ready to jump all over it.. :)

And yes VHB, I know it's my own fault that this doesn't represent a particularly good value for my situation. I take the blame, it's all on me.. ;) If I was in a situation where I would be going to see more than 6 movies per month, alone, then that would definitely put me over the hump.. ;)

11. Dave2000

That was pretty clear enough to me.......

Don't see any confusion there.....

Guess we have to put it in CAPS and BOLD for Nero to notice

12. Nero

Nero Member

..and make it sing and dance too please ;)

Also, Manbearpig is going to kill us all!

13. Dave2000

so I kinda figured out a work around if you want 2 tickets for 1 showing

Let say I wanted to watch a movie on Sunday with someone. On Saturday, check in to any movie, then buy your ticket for a Sunday showing either at the kiosk or box office. Then on Sunday, do your usual ticket for that day.

Of course this means you can't watch a movie on Saturday.

2 people like this.
  14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Wise, this man is.

15. VanityHalfBlack

16. Nero

Nero Member

Hm now that could be a solution.. and when I was chatting with the online support girl (Jenn) for this service, she stated that the service is good for only one ticket to the same movie, period. Ok I get that, but it looks to me like, from what y'all are saying, is that they don't actually have any way to check or verify that you are actually BUYING the movie's ticket that you are checking in for? Is that right?

So how exactly does the 'check-in' process work? I understand it uses the GPS on the phone to verify your location, but do you also have to specify which movie you are wanting to watch when you check in? But then once you choose a movie on the phone, it simply deposits the funds on the card, and you can buy whatever actual ticket you want? Even buying a future-dated showing?

If that is so, then that could work well after all.

Makes me wonder if they won't be trying to update their system in order to restrict that sort of thing, but how could they really?

Hmmm..

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

LOL! :grin:

Well... now to experiment...

If I want to take the SwoLy family (+3), this means I have to purchase tickets on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and watch no movies until Sat. or Sunday? :confused:

18. Dave2000

Check in process is basically a generic looking site Moviepass runs to view theaters, movie, show times. Once you pick the movie you want, you click on the movie/time. At the time of check in, it "supposedly" checks your GPS to verify that your within 100 yards of the movie theater. Personally, I can check in at the Cinemark that is 3.3 miles away from my house, while I've seen on other boards complained they were at the theater and couldn't check in, which is probably because their GPS on their phone sucks. Once you check in, the appropriate funds is loaded to your debit card they assigned you and you have 30 mins to purchase your ticket. The debit card they give you, is technically a Discover card. I can't see how they can verify what movie you watched. But I did find this through their FAQ

I don't know they can figure out which movie you actually bought a ticket for, since it'll just be the usual credit card transaction.

Spot on, of course, it depends how far in advance the theater sell tickets. If I remember correctly, the kiosk at AMC's you can purchase up to 5 days, not sure about the other theater chains.

19. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Got my card today. The promo code that i posted earlier was for $10 off. My credit card was only charged $19.99. I'm not sure if that's going to be my monthly rate or just a one time deal.

20. Dave2000

yea, the promo codes is just for the first month

saw an advance screening of "21 and Over", through gofobo, not Moviepass, decent movie. It's no Project X, but I enjoyed it. Probably going to be over hyped when it comes out in March.

After that, watched a 10pm showing of Warm Bodies. I liked it for its originality, I'd recommend it.