1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best way/locations to look for buying a townhouse?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Hey guys,

I'm a single guy that might be in the market for a townhouse. Not looking for anything expensive, probably the 100k range and below is my budget. Preferably close to my work near jersey village. How would you guys go about looking for a townhouse in a safe, affordable area? Might also try to rent a room out. Is this advisable? I'm just a bachelor trying to make my future brighter...

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

start on har.com

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

HAR.com for Houston area real estate. Filter on townhouse.

And Trulia.com has a "crime map" overview that shows which areas are safer with specific crimes marked.

Me personally, I'd rent before buying a townhouse in the burbs. The whole point of a townhouse is to be in town, where land is more scarce and therefore homes need a smaller footprint. Townhouses in the burbs tend to just be small houses where people with (relatively) low income live; that or they are hardly cheaper than nearby single family homes - especially once you consider the monthly maintenance fee - that cater to people who don't want yards and/or want a gated community, but that doesn't sound like you. But that's me and not you, and I haven't specifically looked at townhouses in JV so I am not as informed as you likely are.

Also make sure you're not in an area that gets flooded often. My aunt who lives in Jersey Village has had her house flooded 4-5 times and it's always a terrible thing to go through.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

I was actually thinking of someplace in the Energy Corridor area. The reason I need a not so great home is because it won't be a permanent one + I want to gain some profit from it or at least rent it out so I'm not paying any living expenses. The plan is to save for the future.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

I really like that website guys. The way you can draw a map is cool

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Ok. Well couple things:

Property values aren't guaranteed to go up; in fact, property values in the Energy Corridor have been going down (slightly) and I would expect the downfall to continue until O&G rebounds.

Finding a sub-$100K townhouse in the Energy Corridor (with a reasonable monthly maintenance fee) might be tough. I'd suggest looking on Kirkwood, between Memorial and Briar Forest. There is a townhouse complex right on the east side of Kirkwood. Wood exterior, blueish IIRC. I lived there for a bit. The complex is ok, but you're given a ****ty company you have to use for TV/Internet. You can pay for ATT instead but you'll still have to pay for the other too. No Rockets games and internet is worthless. You might could find one under $100k but it will need a good bit of TLC.

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

Thanks dude.

Can you or someone guide me through what else is important before purchasing a home? Like I'm looking at the har.com website, and some results show: Cost/sqft based on Tax Value, 3 years of appraised value chart, maintenance fees, and things like homeowner's insurance, property tax... sorry, i have so many questions. its my first home. I don't want to be caught by surprise by something. Looking for low cost possible, but best value.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Also details like should I be worried about what kind of exterior it has been built on? Or how old should the home be? Slab foundation?

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Don't forget to factor in HOA dues and property taxes into your mortgage payment.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you don't want to be controlled by an HOA, don't buy into an HOA.