1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best place to sell engagement ring?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by London'sBurning, Mar 18, 2012.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

To cut it short, I'm getting divorced tomorrow. I get to keep the ring and am looking for the best place to sell it. eBay? Craigslist? I'm not hard up for cash so if it takes some time to sell it that's fine with me. I'm assuming I won't get full value on what I paid for it. What sort of mark off on the original price should I expect to sell it for? Advice?

2. Nook

Nook Member

Do some research, but you will probably get 20% of what you paid for it unless is from Tiffany's or a high end single stone setting. Engagement rings and the industry are a terrible rip off.

3. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Sorry about what you are going through. I would go through ebay. Definitely avoid pawn shops and such because you will get lowballed (like morey). First, definitely do some research and see how much that ring is worth original priced.

Good luck with everything

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Well I contacted the place I bought it from. They appraised it for $2,000 flat. I paid half that because as cliche as it sounds, I know a guy. I have the original documentation and the appraiser's signature.

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about that London'sBurning....been down this road.

There's a place in the middle of the Village ...The numismatic place ...They also deal in stones/rings. I got a pretty good price there about 6 or 7 years back.

7. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

So does that place do returns :grin: if they will give you double for it, why don't you sell it there?

Otherwise, since you know the appraisal value and have the original docs etc., sell it on ebay. I'm not extremely familiar with ebay but can't you decide not to sell it if you don't get the price you want? You can try craigslist but id go ebay first...

8. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

I am proposing soon. Give it to me ;)

Moe

9. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

My Fiancee is leaving me after forcing me to propose. At least she is nice enough to give the ring back. I don't know if I should sell it or keep it for the next one?

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

What a c*nt!!!!

11. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

boys don't need it. ;)

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If you keep it for the next one, I'd use it as a trade-in instead of using the same exact ring. If you do use the same exact ring, I'd refrain from sharing that information with the future new woman.

13. SacTown

SacTown Member

You should expect to get about 25% of whatever you paid for it, so if you paid $1000 like you said, then you should get about $250.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

b****es man...and glad you got the ring back, usually they keep it...I have my old band that I need to melt and make into something else...

15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Not to derail the thread, but did y'all adhere to the 3 month salary rule? That seems a bit ridiculous to me.

16. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

Show us a picture of yourself and we'll let you know how much you can sell the ring for.. I mean show us the picture of the ring..

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Like someone mentioned, it depends on the type of diamond. I bought my wide a 1.1 carot ideal cut (hearts & arrows). I'd be damned if I only got 25 % back. I would insure it (need to do that still) and just claim that it was stolen if that really is the case.

18. SacTown

SacTown Member

You really think you made an investment with the purchase of jewelry? You'd be lucky to get 25% back if it ever comes to it. My mom had one of the most unique, custom, flawless diamonds you can get. My step father paid 25k for it and they divorced about 5 years later. I tried to help her sell it. I had it appraised and it appraised for 32k - I had the documents, offical apprasial form and everything and after months of trying to sell it all over including craigslist, ebay, and other auctions - the hightest offer we ever got was $4500. That's the way the jewelry industry works bro.

19. SPF35

SPF35 Member

clutchfans buy and sell section, can't go wrong

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Not many people have 25k to pay for a ring. I think your situation was unique.

I think it's reasonable to expect much more than 25% on a 3-5k ring.