1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best football article I've ever read

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by xcrunner51, Jul 10, 2012.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Linked on the Battle Red blog. Nothing I've ever read explained football better than this.

My reaction at the end was like James Carville in Old School
    (do you have a response Mr. Carville?)
    -Oh... It... We... have no response. That was perfect.

1 person likes this.
  2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

great read!

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It's probably because I'm more attached to the current roster, but give me a stonewall defense and Arian Foster over the next Air Coryell. Isn't ZBS also an evolution of the running game? If Kubiak can utilize Brooks then we'll be looking at a run game that can make gaps even against behemoth DLines like the Giants.

Clock control and field position will always be huge factors, but I guess what Cosell is saying is that it's awesome that new dimensions can change the game while the old ones still hold their weight also.

4. Relentless

Relentless Member

There will not be a place for them against offenses that feature five receivers with multi-dimensional abilities to attack all areas of the field. We will likely see more teams employ the Houston Texans’ model. They played dime (six defensive backs), not nickel. That allowed them to field better athletes with more scheme versatility and greater body flexibility and agility to play in space, i.e., coverage. It was not an accident Houston had one of the best defenses in the NFL last season.

Should this really be in the Texans forum?

5. conquistador#11

how do you stop the new wave ' tightreceiver'? Wade's beautiful mind that's how and having two safeties that could be Cornerbacks if they wanted to also helps.

6. xcrunner51

ZBS is an evolution of the running game with spiritual roots in Sid Gillman's principles. The concept is the same, put a player in space with the opportunity to make a move against a lesser defender. In the Texan's case, it's putting the running back in space with ZBS or split wide. If everything is done right and the linemen are pushed wide, then it's the RB on an island vs. a linebacker/dback in the second level.

It's the RB version of a spread offense.

#6 xcrunner51, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cover safeties is definitely your best bet, however, DEs and OLBs still have to get chips on those guys at the line of scrimmage when possible. No matter what though, a 6'6 big athletic TE like Gronk will kill your secondary. Unless we start seeing 6'5 safeties.

8. xcrunner51

I've often wondered why the crazy physical evolution of WR/TE's hasn't been mirrored on the defensive side. You never see a DB version of Megatron or AJ80.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

^ i'm surprised you don't see it more as well. I wondered how Robert Sands (6'4) would do but he's been pretty much a nothing in the NFL.

10. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Shore up on pass rushers, and safeties and linebackers who are good in space.

You look at all the elite defenses in the league... They all have really good pass rushers and pass covering safeties: Ravens - Reed; Steelers - Polamalu; heck, even the Giants acquired and converted Antrelle Rolle, a corner back, to play safety.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Because those guys become WR's. They were likely both in youth football and through high school and made to go full time WR once they got to college. Almost no one starts off playing football that wants to be on defense. They want td's and notoriety. At some point, you get the talk..."Son, you're only 5'8", 165. Let's try you at corner."

12. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

More teams covet safeties who can cover.
    And all the athletic freaks on defense are pass rushers.

Corner backs have to be able to cover the big receivers and the small, quick slot guys (Wes Welkers). Bigger cornerbacks just aren't capable of doing both.

13. xcrunner51

There's got to be one or two big receivers that could play legitimate cover on the other side of the ball. I just get the feeling its never been tried.

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

The theory was that bigger DBs would have a harder time maneuvering in space, rotating hips, and controlling their much larger bodies, all while reacting at top speed to a more physically dominant WR.

But I've also wondered why can't the defense grow taller, but it's slowly getting there. Seattle lost their starters and plugged in 3 rookies/sophs who are all 6'3" or taller. And 2 of them (kam and browner) made pro bowl, with Sherman having some votes too I bet.

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It's been jokingly suggested here to try subbing in WRs in goal line situations, since 5'10" DBs have no chance at snagging jump balls from guys 5-6 inches taller than them. It was probably suggested after that Jets game where our D, especially at goal line was embarassing.