1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Berets to Become Standard Issue

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by mrpaige, Oct 17, 2000.

1. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Black beret to be standard issue for all soldiers, Army says

Associated Press
    Oct. 17, 2000 16:08

WASHINGTON - In a symbolic fashion statement, the chief of the Army said today that the beret - for decades the distinctive headgear of elite Army units - will become standard issue for all soldiers.

Soldiers who now wear the fold-up "overseas" cap, the saucer-like "service" cap, or the baseball-style "battle dress uniform" cap will instead wear a black beret. Helmets, of course, will still be worn in combat.

Army chief of staff Gen. Eric Shinseki said in a surprise announcement that the change will take effect next June 14, the Army's birthday.

"When we wear the black beret it will say that we, the soldiers of the world's best army, are committed to making ourselves even better," Shinseki said in a speech to the annual convention of the Association of the United States Army, a booster organization. He said the beret would be a "symbol of unity."

Aides to Shinseki said they expected some grumbling, particularly among Army Rangers who already wear black berets.

Emmett Hiltibrand, a retired Ranger and Vietnam veteran who is president of the 75th Ranger Regiment Association, said in a telephone interview from Columbus, Ga., that he was appalled by Shinseki's decision.

"It's going to look silly," Hiltibrand said, and will erode some of the distinction of being a Ranger.

"The beret is a symbol of excellence," he said. "It is not to be worn by everybody, every Tom, Dick and Harry."

On the other hand, Col. Vince Ogilvie, a Pentagon public affairs officer who previously served as a member of the 82nd Airborne, the paratroops who wear maroon berets, cheered the move.

"I personally like the beret," he said. "From my point of view, it's a great idea. It really looks great with the uniform." He added that he understood that Rangers would take a different point of view.

Shinseki said introducing the black beret as standard headgear for soldiers will symbolize the new-look Army. He said he got the idea last week when he officiated at a change-of-command ceremony for the U.S. Army Special Operations Command, whose soldiers include the so-called Green Berets who specialize in guerrilla warfare, cover action, infiltration behind enemy lines and sometimes training foreign forces.

"As I stood looking at those (soldiers), I was reminded of the special significance that the beret has come to symbolize for the United States Army," Shinseki said. "It is time for the entire Army to accept the challenge of excellence that has so long been a hallmark of our special operations and airborne units."

Army paratroops will continue to wear their maroon berets and Army rangers already wear black berets.

Shinseki portrayed his announcement as fitting a broader plan for transforming the Army, still burdened by Cold War-era equipment, attitudes and practices, into a more high-tech, adaptable and unified organization ready to confront the diverse security challenges of the 21st century.

Shinseki, who took over the top Army post in July 1999, said he is preparing to "make our case" for an increase in the size of the Army, which is authorized to have 480,000 soldiers on active duty.

The Army chief did not say how big an increase he expected to push for, but 40,000 has been mentioned by some.

Shinseki said that in order to relieve stress on the force he was doing away with weekend work for soldiers and arranging for four-day weekends in connection with all federal holidays. He ordered strict limits on the number of cases in which units are asked to make short-notice deployments that take them away from home. He also is seeking ways to make school transfers easier for soldiers' children.

Just another example of how Clinton hates the military. Putting everybody in little French hats is a disgrace. (Before anyone jumps on me, I am kidding.)

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    DFW Sports Board

2. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Clinton's always had an affection for people in berets.

------------------

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

ROFLMAO!!!!

[​IMG]

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of lies:

lies, lies, and heypeeisms.

-DrofDunkingDonuts

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

LOL! The man with the lowest post-to-sarcasm ratio strikes again. LOL! I'm gonna die laughing. [​IMG]

------------------
    I got nothin'.

5. Ih8walton

Ih8walton Contributing Member

Give that man a cigar!!!

[​IMG]

6. dc sports

dc sports Member

Grumett -- Funny!

This is a good move though. When the army isn't wearing helmets, their official BDU headgear is a baseball cap or a "floppy" hat. As we start to do more joint military exercises and operations with armed forces, our military should look good.

Many of the other armies we work with wear berets and it looks sharp -- especially those known for taking pride in their appearance, like the British and Greeks. Even the UN wears berets -- though that "Luv ya" blue looks a little strange. Then we show up in our floppy hats -- practical, but not very stylish.

This is good. Our military should be able to look impressive even in fatigues, so they can take pride in their appearance and accomplishments.

I feel a little sorry for the rangers though -- this has been their traditonal headgear for a long time.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

7. The Voice of Reason

i deffinately applaude this move. the rangers have always looked sharp. I just hope they give the rangers a choice of a new color. or some other goodies to appease them.

on a simular note i have to say that uniforms change all the time. sometimes for the better, and sometimes for the worse. it is my humble poinion that the Nazis had the coolest looking uniform. many nations have nearly copied them, especially the russians. the shame of it all is the the style of the Nazis is tainted my the horrible acts commited in those uniforms. they did look bad ass while trying to conquer the world, so i think we should look bad ass while trying to police it..

*PEACE

------------------

8. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I would applaud this if the Rangers didn't already wear the berets.

I went to a military school that had a Ranger platoon. I loved the extra training that came with that but the primary reason I joined was because of the distinction that came with the beret.

Like someone said above, I applaud the move, but I feel sorry for the Rangers.

------------------
    Hey, I've got a new signature!