1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[#beMoreLikeEurope] Austria bans full facial veils in public

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, May 18, 2017.

1. jcf

jcf Member

I have no idea but do you think all of the women wearing face veils do so of their own volition or are they forced to by their families and /or community.

I really don't know but can't tell if this law is really misogynistic or whether the women are already being denied their choice of dress.

2. malakas

malakas Member

It is very wrong to apply our own cultural and religious standards upon others. Why is it so strange to think that a woman chooses to have a face veil on, by her own free will? It is her culture and religion and her personal choice.
    Are ALL women willingly wearing burgas? Surely not because there is no 100% in anything. But the vast majority is.

Let me ask you another thing..if Austria is so concerned about religious rights then where is the law banning circumcision? (In Europe only Jew and Muslims have circumcision ). The vast majority of Austrians are christians therefore circumcision is against their culture and it is CERTAINLY performed against the choice of the victims (aka infants).

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Should ban all religious clothing in public places. Practice your fairy tales at home.

Cohete Rojo likes this.
  4. jcf

jcf Member

If you take your first sentence and critically apply it to a lot of your posts, you will see a contradiction. People apply their own cultural (and religious or lack thereof) ideas upon others all the time -- conservatives and liberals.

You expect others to act, behave and believe in a certain way or they are sexist, racist, (deplorable?) etc.

(I don't mean to be directing this at you. I could also say "one expects" and it would be true.)

Let me ask you something: if immigrants come to this country with different cultural and religious beliefs that sincerely include the idea that women are "less," are you ok with that? Or that fathers or brothers have the right to punish their female relatives for "shaming" the family? That fine?

Or that women should not have control over their bodies, is that ok with you based upon your logic?

And as for your statement that one's own cultural and religious ideas shouldn't be imposed upon others, how did you feel about the bakery refusing to do a wedding cake for a gay couple's marriage?

The number of examples that can be pointed to where our society does see value in imposing our view of morality on others is overwhelming.

I'm not sure why all of that changes when we are dealing with immigrants or visitors from predominantly Muslim countries.

(I don't know how I feel about the Burka ban to be candid.) But, I strongly disagree that people don't impose their views of right and wrong (whether cultural or religious) upon others. Some of our most divisive issues in this country -- abortion, gun rights, etc.-- come down to different beliefs where each side is certain that they are correct.

5. jcf

jcf Member

I have zero idea (as I expect is true for you as well) regarding how many of these women actually want to wear them. It does seem that in countries where the standards seem more lax, a lot of women choose not to wear them.

I'm just guessing and we may both be, but I could easily see it as more of a male dominated decision that the men do not want "their" women showing themselves in public. I find it odd that you are ok with that.

6. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Laicite FTW.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Austria was the seat of the Emprror of the Holy Roman Empire for like 500 years.

It is a very conservatively Catholic country. I would no more demand that Austria allow veils that I would demand Saudi Arabia not allow them.

And most especially, neither is the special case that is the USA which is set up to be a land of immigrants. I think sometimes Americans view American rules and norm as "Western" norms. Austria is not the USA, it is a state built around South German Catholics. It doesn't have to be "the great melting pot" that the USA is.

8. Buck Turgidson

Hmmm...what racial-clothing based laws have ever come from Austrians?

Great idea.

All crosses and such on jewelry worn in public?