1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beltran

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Jun 5, 2004.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Ok...so I'm on a bit of an Astros tangent this morning...

Hidalgo and Buckholz for Beltran?

Hidalgo, Ensberg and a lesser prospect for Beltran?

What would it take to land this guy?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I was thinking of Hidalgo plus extras for Beltran. I think it would be a good idea. Then we put Beltran at the # 1 hole and Biggio at the # 2.

It probably would take Buckholz at least.

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Why the hell would the Royals do it? Hidalgo is a free agent after the season so they lose him, and Buchholz looks terrible at New Orleans. He's 3-6 with a 7.14 era in 10 starts. I'm pretty sure that the Royals will be able to do better than that. Not to mention he'd probably only be a rent since the Yankees and Red Sox will throw a ton of money at him in the offseason.

4. Mr. Clutch

The fact that Hidalgo is a free agent is a plus. That means the Royals won't have a huge long term contract to deal with. Obviously it would take more than just Buckholz, but throw in another good prospect and they would probably be insterested.

5. Major

Major Member

The fact that Hidalgo is a free agent is a plus. That means the Royals won't have a huge long term contract to deal with.

Why would they want him at all then? They aren't competing this year, so why take him for half a season and pay him $5 million or whatever to be on a sucky team?

6. Mr. Clutch

What I am thinking is the Astros would pay a portion of that contract. And what the Royals pay is the price for getting a couple of good young prospects.

7. kevwun

kevwun Member

Correction, Buccholz started off terribly at New Orleans. He's pitched much better in his last several starts. He's young and took a little while to adjust to AAA.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... he's been great his last two starts.

Since its only his 1st year at AAA, there's always an adjustment. Also, his K/9 innings (a good minor league stat gague), has been pretty good all year.

He probably won't get a september callup (unless either we're really suffering, or he really starts to dominate), but he'll contend for a starting spot next year.

If Wade doesn't start throwing like he did in 2001, and late 2002, his days are numbered.... might he be part of the puzzle to get Beltran? (doubtful, since that would leave us in a bind for this year... but Wade is his own worst enemy right now).

9. drapg

drapg Member

Last week SI reported that the Red Sox were contemplating shipping Nomar off to the Dodgers for Edwin Jackson, solely to use him as trade bait for Beltran.

I don't know if that can be topped. Jackson is one of the most (if not THE most) prized pitching prospect of the past few years.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i have read that the padres are in pretty serious talks. it would be beltran and randa for burroughs and xavier nady.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Honestly, with the way that Taveras is playing, there may be no reason to go after Beltran. I say keep the prospects and see how he's doing in a couple of years.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Tavares is dominating the Texas league like no other. I'm kinda hoping (although I doubt they'll do this) that he'll get to see some AAA before the end of this year, dominate there, and then he'll be in the mix for a job here next year (and Biggio might finally accept a reduced role, or be a great #2 hitter playing RF for the departured Doggy).

But, there's no way the Stros are getting Beltran... too many teams have much more to offer. We're forgetting that we can't be giving up great pitching or hitting prospects when within 2-3 years: Clemens, Pettite, Dotel (probably), Bagwell, Biggio, Kent, Viz, and Ausmus will no longer be playing for us.

13. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

No chance. Your right fielder must have the best arm of all your outfielders, and Biggio's arm is the worst.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... probably should have put LF if anything. Chances are, he'd be an off-the-bench guy (like Mark Grace was later on), especially if his production tails off in the second half, as its done the last 3 years.

But, if he continues to rake it all year, he'd be an everyday player for his final 2005 season.

Tavares currently has 29 steals in 44 games, with an OPS around .850 leading-off... imagine the speedy lineup we can have with him and Everett batting #1 and 2. It would be a lot like Florida had in the playoffs last year.

Now all we need is some position players to drive them in... currently, it'll be Burke, Berkman, and Buck (the killer B's of the future.)

15. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Just for fun, I made a blockbuster trade on MVP Baseball 2004 for PS2.

Redding, Everett, and Berkman for Beltran and Berroa. KC actually agreed to the deal.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No kidding... that's actually a pretty even trade #'s wise, as long as Beltran stays healthy.

Of course, it would never happen...

17. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

ok since Beltran is officially on the block..what can the 'stros give up to get this guy. We could use him...

I'd give up Hidalgo, Ensberg, and Redding for him..

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1820350

Associated Press
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Let the bidding begin for Carlos Beltran.

Kansas City Royals general manager Allard Baird, on the heels of a demoralizing doubleheader loss to the Montreal Expos, said Friday that he is ready to begin dismantling his team and build for 2005.

"This is a change," Baird told reporters.

Specifically, this means he is ready to take offers for Beltran, his switch-hitting center fielder who is one of just six players with at least three seasons of 100 runs, 100 RBIs and 30 stolen bases.

Beltran, 26, will be eligible for free agency after this year and the Royals are determined to get as much for him as they can.

Baird said he has heard from clubs "on the East Coast and the West Coast" who might be interested in the 26-year-old Beltran, but refused to be specific.

"I think it's very unfair to the ballclubs I'm talking to on any player," he said. "If they want to share it, that's fine."

Teams known to have expressed interest include Anaheim, Boston and the New York Yankees.

There are certain to be others. Beltran last year become the first switch-hitter to bat over .300 while hitting more than 25 home runs and stealing more than 40 bases.

The AL player of the month in April, he went into Friday night's game hitting .270 with 12 home runs and 43 RBIs.

Two weeks ago, Baird told clubs he would not consider dealing any of his players without giving the Royals a chance to get back in the AL Central race. They responded by winning six of 10. But the doubleheader loss to Montreal made them to a league-worst 21-36.

"I will listen at this point," he said.

"Am I disappointed? No question I'm disappointed. I still believe that this ballclub intact at the end of the season would be better than it is right now. But time is not on our side and we are behind the 8-ball, as we've talked about numerous times. And you can't be completely off the pool table, so to speak."

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i dont care what club it is, but it must be an NL club. i am in a 13 team national league only fantasy league. i bid $1 on beltran hoping he would get traded to a NL team and it just may happen!

btw astros aren't gonna get him...if anything we are just gonna wait on taveras.

19. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Not gonna happen.

Unless you guys don't wanna resign Roy, Wade, ot Dotel. Plus Berkman will need a contract extension in the near future as well. Don't forget all the backloaded contracts we have already.

Beltran goes to NY, the Whitesox, or the Padres. I'd be shocked if he landed anywhere else.:eek:

Besides, Tavaras will give us the CF we've all wanted within the next 3 years and will be playing for peanuts. He's as fast as Beltran, hits for high avg., and steals more bases than our team combined.

20. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

yes i totally left tavares out of the equation... can't wait to see this guy in the bigs..