1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Before You Praise/Kill the Rocks, You Had To See It Live

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Almu, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Damn, I missed you guys! Did you miss me, Freak?! [​IMG]

LHutz?

Anyways, its early. I am groggy still after coming home late last night from MSG. Knickfans get so grouchy over just one little game.

I thought I would talk about what I saw last night just 6 rows behind the Knicks bench.

1) Lord. Lord. LORD! Please send us some interior ANYTHING!

It was sad to see Larry Johnson do the same thing 3 times in a row and nobody could guard this sorry excuse for a low post player. Not only that, the guy is an animal against the Rocks soft interior and all he did was just barely touch a Rocket player and they went FLYING back. Hey, the guy is either Hercules or Matt Bullard needs to hit the weights more. And Marcus Camby? God, the Rockets made this guy look like Tim Duncan with all the offensive rebounds and tips he got.

2) Cuttino hit the shot. But I think you guys are a little too high on his play.

Basically, I am thinking he might be a little overrated. I am sorry to all the Cuttino lovers out there, but the guy has 2 things. He has a first step. And then he has no brains. Does anyone else think Mobley needs to buy some at the local 7-Eleven? Those shots he has taken all year just were magnified last night when all he does is dribble, dribble, dribble and either shoot a crooked, fadeaway jumper or jacks up a shot with 5 Knicks and half of MSG all over him. And the D? Quick hands but the man has to move his feet. No excuse for that. That is a sign of lazyness or lack of effort. But, most of the Rockets don't do that anyway so it might be unfair to just kill Mobley. Its just that the guy has all the physical abilities. I can't help but to think that Mobley might be the next coming of Vernon Maxwell for the Rocks. The lethal first step he has got him past the defender and he hit the shot. But Mobley also complains too damn much on nearly every call last night. And speaking of calls...

3) Nine Charging Fouls? I think the Rockets were guilty as charged on most.

I am sorry if I don't agree with you guys. But I can tell you without ANY reservations that the refs caught the Rockets cold on every play except maybe 2. Those charge calls were legit all the way. The Rocks didn't play good AT ALL and they were WAY to erratic and impatient 90 percent of the time. When they drove the ball and got a charge called on them, it was CLEAR that the defender was above the circle. I saw it and I couldn't believe it each and every time.

4) Why is Jason Collier on the team?

Insert your own explanation here.

5) God, Moochie is better LIVE than on TV.

And not just because of the hair. I counted at least 4 or 5 times Moochie crossed over and left Strickland's jock on the floor. But then, Moochie passed off to either Walt Williams or Mo Taylor who then would...well, you saw what happened. But, Moochie is so damn good at that crossover I wonder why he doesn't shoot a little more than he does now. He gets by the defender most times last night.

6) Francis? He is the king.

Though Ward was on his behind and played good D most of the night, the man has no idea how good he is, in my opinion. WHENEVER he wanted, he could get into the lane and either dish or take a shot. The he does have things he could work on like he does have a little Cuttino in him(erratic shooting) and some hotdog also. And could his teammates improve those those noodle picks they set for the guy? But Francis is DAMN good and I am not afraid to say that Francis will be the best PG in about 2 years. In all reality, Francis should play the 2 spot more when the Rockets need points and have the Rocks adjust to that on the defensive end. The guy, to me, is close to as unstoppable as you can wish for when he decides to take over.

7) Defense? Thats All the Knicks have.

The Knicks suck on offense. Lord, they have the talent. But somehow, it just doesn't work for them. No way should they be this pathetic when they have Allan Houston, Latrell Spreewell and although Glen Rice didn't play, trust me when I tell you that they look this bad on offense 95 percent of the time. They are basically the Miami Heat with a little less hair on the head coach.

8) Shandon Anderson maybe comfortable playing the 3?

Alot of us said last year that Shandon should be at the 3 with Cuttino at the 2. The 2 guard has to be a scorer, in my opinion, and despite the fact that Cuttino takes the worse shots this side of Shaquille O'Neal free-throws, he is streaky and can get hot enough to score 20-25 points. Shandon can't. He needs to play the 3. He has the height and strength to play with most guys at that spot. This is also why he is my favorite player on the Rockets because he does all the dirty work. He guards the other teams best guard each and every night and he did a great job on Houston all night using his strength to bump him out of the post and his quickness to harass him out on the perimeter. He even scored which is a big bonus because without that, we would of lost by 10. Gotta love the man.

Finally, let me tell you why a win like this could push the Rocks to a higher level if they use it properly. This was a bad game by both sides. The Rockets played just as bad as they played good against the Raptors. The Knick defense was good overall and it was a hostile crowd. But, they gutted out the win. A game like this can build alot of confidence in a team that sometimes looks like they are lost. A young, young team, who played horrible against a big time defensive team in a hostile environment. And got the W. Thats as good as it gets if you ask me. That shows team balls.

I went home happy. I now got the right to brag at work all day and into next year if I want. And my girl can put that Knick jersey away for the new baby before I burn that crap and set my house on fire!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited January 12, 2001).]

2. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Great post especially on your controversial review of the refs. I saw the game and felt the same way. In fact I was on the chat and kept calling the calls. The Rocks were slow and for the most part the call were right despite how one-sided it appeared.

I also agree with you on Collier. This was my first time seeing him and I hope I am wrong. He looked slow and lead-footed to me. He better have a good jump shot. Earlier I heard he runs the floor well. I hope so.

Mobley is better than you described. Many times last night I called him a punk. They are still young and I just wish some of Anderson attitiude would rub off on him. He would then be absolutely lethal. The whole league however has taken notice of our backcourt and correctly so.

No Cato again especially when Taylor and Thomas were in foul trouble. What's up with that?

Great win which should propel us to more. Tighten up that race.

------------------

3. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

One thing I forgot to say up top.

I went to the game with my dad and my girlfriend and my boss(all three are Knick fans which just added to the fun) and I told them all the same thing when we were on our way out.

This team is young, young, YOUNG and can only get better. And although I believe we need to develop some more continuity on offense (especially those puke provoking iso plays that we run to no end) and on defense, I think we are 25 points, 10 rebounds and some smart play from 50 wins and contention. If we get that COMBINED from the 4 and 5 spots, we can create some serious noise within two years.

I think we are on the same track as the 76ers were when they first got Iverson.

------------------

4. Live

Live Member

Absolutely agree with you my friend. The Rockets have better chemistry than those early Ivy-lead Philly teams, but the similarities are uncanny.

------------------
    "ON-BEE-TAH-BULL!!", Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon, alumnus, University of Houston

5. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

I just got up myself from a long night after the game at MSG. I have to agree with ALMU about the game as for his observations. I didn't have bad seats nor did I have the greatest seats. My hookup placed us behind the basket about 30 rows. Section 234 Row C. Evidently, that's where they place all visitor team's guests. We were next to Kenny Thomas' friend-girl. I say friend because I don't want to spread any rumors that Kenny has a serious girl. For anyone that knows Pop Dance music, her name is Gillette that had a song a couple of years ago "Short Dick Man" and "Mr. Personality". She's really nice and has a new single out now "Sex tonight"(shameless plug). It was cool to be in a row full of Rockets supporters.

The Garden - I thought last night was a pretty pathetic and ugly game for MSG standards. The crowd was not really into the game until the final minutes. Prior to the 4th quarter,the only excitement that got the crowd cheering was at halftime when these elementary school kids were playing basketball. It was a pretty lame crowd for MSG standards. I was surrounded by Rocket Fans so it made the night go by fast.

Honestly, I really thought they were gonna lose because of them staying out late the night before. I even heard that a couple of Rockets were spotted at a Karoke bar of all places singing till closing time. I can't say who for fear that it may shock you who has a good/bad voice. They looked a little tired to me in the first half i.e. nice AIRBALL Kenny!

I agree with Almu about the MOOCH! This guy next to me was a Moochie Norris fan. He is more exciting to watch in person.

During one of the breaks I saw Spike Lee talking smack to Cuttino Mobley but couldn't quite understand what they were saying. Maybe Almu could help on that since he was behind the Knick bench. All I know Spike was up yelling something to Cuttino.

Celebs in the house - Samuel Jackson, Star Jones, of course Spike.

After the game, we waited for the players in Sections 81 & 82- the designated area for the guests of the team. There were prolly about 75 people waiting. 20 minutes after the game, the players came out. Steve, Cuttino, Shandon, Moochie, Walt, Kenny Thomas came out to meet with some people. Mooch had a big posse of people waiting for him. Steve had a smoothed out mocha suit while Cuttino came out in a darker brown suit. I was lucky enough to take a picture of my girlfriend with the 2 of them. They were very classy and gentlmen like. I don't like getting into pics so I just took them. They were all very cool. Got to talk to Kenny after the game and I asked him how he felt. He responded "My team did well, did you like my airball?" He's not at all that quiet like some people say. He has a good sense of humor. We asked him where Dan and Matt were but they already went to the bus. Afterwards, I thanked my hookup for the tix and they were off. They only gave them 15 minutes to hang out in the stands before they had to get on the bus and leave for Houston that night. I'll see them again in New Jersey when they come back.

I'm just happy they beat the KNICKS. It was very satisfying to see the Knick crowd stunned. All I kept hearing is what the hell was LJ doing with the ball. Man, you think we are bad for criticizing our team, you should hear NY fans after a game.

------------------

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

MSG is definitely the Mecca of Hoops.As far as being there or catching a game on the tube,I love watching games there,and it was great the Rockets pulled it out.Good job guys!For this quote "historic"game though,I was shocked at the appalling historically bad officiating this crew brought to the table...man
    Yeah,we were short handed inside,Mo was in foul trouble and therefore were helpless as we watched L.J.pretend he was still at UNLV.Before his back injury he could work like that inside,but it's been a loooong time since I've seen that.I always felt for him after that,but not during this game.
    Stevie just keeps on progressing as his overall grasp for the game continues...sky is the limit.....literally
    That first half was an absolute disgrace,but,give our guys their due(and Rudy).Yes,Cat was there when we needed him and SA is always ther in some way,shape ,or form.The East is so pathetic these days that I honestly believe there are only a couple of teams that would make the playoffs in the West...........Almu,put that Knicks Jersey in a safety deposit box or something,we don't want you burning down your house!!!!!

------------------
    "me and four guys from St.Pete...Fo..Fo..Fo"-
    Moses in the 80-81 finals

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Hey Almu, nice to have you back. You made some good oberservations even though I don't agree with all of them.

Right on about the interior defense...it was pretty much non existent, but what could we expect when Mo' got into early fould trouble and we had to rely on The Wiz, Bull(defense...HA!) and KT to hold down the fort in the paint? The refs never allowed the Rockets to play the same type of game the Knicks were playing until the final 4 minutes of the game.

Walt was called for some horrible calls on the defensive end and then there were those 9 offesive foul calls. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but most of those callswere not legit. The refs called a horrible game despite the Rockets erratic play.

One call that was questionable on the right side of the paint. Childs went flying on a Francis drive and was called for a charge. There was another offensive call where Cuttino(I believe) was being guarded by Childs who was not anywhere close to being set(outside the circle). Then the kicker, Mobley was called for a tech for cursing at himself for missing a shot. Everyone within earshot heard Mobes cursing himself, everyone except the ref.

We definitely agree about Moochie. I love the way he plays!! He is a ball of energy and his crossover is plain wicked! One thing I'd like to see more is him going to the basket because he is great at drawing the foul.

Anyway, it was a good win that the team could really build upon.

------------------
    Go vote for Steve Francis for the All-Star game!! You only have until Sunday!!

Vote for Francis!

8. OT

OT Member

Almu
    Great post. I agree with most all of your observations except for the officating. I watched the game on TV and the replays showed a lot of those calls were BS. That was the worst officated game I have seen in a long time. I am really surprised that Rudy was still around at the end.

------------------

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Almu,

Cuttino shot 48% and 39% 3s over the last 46 games last year. Start couting after his worst game when Rudy had a talk with him-- the Chicago game.

When the rest of the team gels, pressure comes off Mobley, and his stats make him a star. When our team does better in motion and doesn't have to do the ISOs, Mobley's stats go up. It's a chicken and egg argument of mine, though: Does Mobley do better by involving people when runnning ISOs and pnr's, or does Mobley do better when we run less ISOs by learning to run motion plays; the latter is more comlicated, and we haven't got consistent with it, yet. Hence all the Mobes ISOs and high PNRs clocking 60% success rate.

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I don't think fans in Houston here realize what they have here in Mobley. How many teams have an explosive scorer you can bring off the bench and carry the team offensively when your main guy is struggling? People call Cat overrated, I guarantee teams like the Lakers and Suns and Kings would KILL to have him in the same role we have him in! He has more then a first step, because if that is all he had he wouldn't be scoring like he does. In fact Francis defense is just as bad as Mobley's. Mobley is our Vinnie Johnson with more consistency. I'll take that.

------------------
    "I have a scale at home and it only goes up so far, I love that scale!"
    - Charles Barkley
    TNT Studios

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

First off, welcome back Almu.

Secondly, I enjoyed your post -- thanks.

Third, this quoted section of it was crap.

It was never a matter of the Knicks being above or below the circle for it to be a bogus call. I can remember right off the top of my head Francis being nailed twice when going around a player and the player ran with him and just flopped on his ass. Offensive foul.

Happened to Walt the same. And what the hell was with that Shandon baseline offensive foul? I was about to explode.

One of the worst officiated games I remember watching... a close second to every single Rockets-Jazz loss since 1997.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Almu, great to see ya back. I missed last night's game, and the different recaps I've heard/read confuse me. Your version is much closer to what I read on the newswire than what I've seen here at this board (complaints about officiating). I wouldn't doubt that the Rox could have drawn legitimate charges last night though - they have the tendency to get drawn out of their rhythm easily by good defenses. They're young and will improve on that area, eventually.

I have a hard time understanding why the Knicks are so bad offensively. Between Spree, Houston, and Rice they should have an outstanding shooting/scoring tandem from the perimeter. Maybe Van Gundy isn't the right man for that team, anymore.

So are you going to bring back your alter-ego/nemesis, LHutz? This board hasn't been the same without the two of you.

------------------
    "Thirty-seven?" -Randall, Clerks
    www.clutchtown.com

13. heypartner

btw Almu, what would happen if I used your thread title in every debate; ie, the I have season tickets trump card. People would jump down my throat, calling me a know-it-all snob,... [​IMG] ! Your assessment of Mobley on one live game is just that, one game. jab!

I agree with the title though. You have to see it live!

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 12, 2001).]

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I just finished watching the game on video and I hate to say it but most of the offensive foul calls were legit.

To Steve, you can't lower your shoulder and drive through people.

To Cat you can't slap the hands of the people guarding you while driving around them.

To Walt, you can't run over people on the way to the rim when they are squared up and have established position outside the arc.

Having said that there were still a number of horrible calls. The worst of all came in the 4th when Walt fouled out. The player guarding him fell down trying to get in front of Walt. No position was established and Walt did not make any contact.

KT was picked on by the refs bad. At one point in the 2nd he got called for consecutive fouls against LJ. The first was questionable. However, on the secound foul all he did was run by LJ. Neither player had the ball no contact was made. What in the hell did the refs see on that one?

My biggest beef with the refs on this game was they did not call it the same way on both ends. It was almost as if they were told to make sure NY got the record for consecutive games holding a team under a hundered. They did a better job in the 4th than in the 3 previous quarters.

And on the last shot. Mo did leave his feet but did not make contact with LJ. Mo was back on the ground with both feet and the shot was off when LJ intentionally fell into Mo trying to get a call. Good non call.

------------------

[This message has been edited by crash5179 (edited January 12, 2001).]

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I guess it is easy to see how watching the game live and on tv can lead to different beliefs about officiating. Watching on TV, with instant replay mind you, made it plainly obvious that at least half of those offensive foul calls were bogus, but we won this one so i wont complain too much.

What i havent seen mentioned about last nights game yet is the success of the rockets offense when they do run set plays. The Shanon pick to Walt to pick Francis to go down the middle play in particular worked fabulously. There are also other set plays that are being used more and more and more effectively. One that i really like that works occasionally is the one involving the backpick for steve, usually by bullard for the alley-oop dunk. Worked against toronto the other night.

------------------
    "There are some frauds so well conducted that it would be stupidity not to be deceived by them."
    Charles Caleb Colton (1780-1832)

16. heypartner

Yep Jay, that is a variation of Clutchplays #2.

<FONT SIZE="2" FACE="Verdana, Arial"><A HREF="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/009854.html">Clutchplay #2: 34 Elbow Flex or Wave Off the Low Post</A>
    </FONT>

They run that at least once a game, and use it as a decoy, too. The way the play develops is Francis and Kenny are out high, Bullard in the low post. Bullard picks for Kenny so Kenny can take the low post position on the opposite block of where Francis will be slamming it. Francis gives it up to Walt or Mo, and then receives the back pick from Bullard above the ft line. They do this with Collier, too. Kenny going to the low post is open if his man attempts to give help on the back pick. And Bullard becomes open if his man helps on the back pick.

The reason I say this is run at least once a game, is because when the help stops Francis coming around Bullard, then either Kenny or Bullard get the ball, so we don't see the Alley oop.

It is very effective.

There is another play with Mobley that is becoming popular. It is the 24 High pnr play with a Walt double pick on the weakside developing at the same time. We seem to need more work on the timing of it, though. This is Mobley without 4 around the arc watching. This is a big development in my eyes, because it means we've probably been practicing for months some weakside options for Mobley to use other than spot up jumpers. It takes time to roll them out, but I do see signs that Rudy is trying. Look for improved weakside options for Mobley plays to be sweet in the future.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 12, 2001).]

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

There we go!!! I knew you couldn't hold back forever. Completely ignore all the good games, and the positives about him that can be seen from games earlier this season, and wait for ONE bad game when he isn't even close to 100% and then go off. How typical. I'll say this about Collier- I sure wouldn't trade him for Hughes or Crawford. (if I'm the Rockets of course) [​IMG]

To Almu,

Collier had a string of EXCELLENT games earlier this year, where he displayed the kind of skills he has. He can run the floor well for a big guy, can hit the outside J out to 20 ft, and sets picks like a brick wall. A guy that does a lot of the little things and fundamentals. Watch some other games before you jump all over him- you have to remember this is a guy who has been out for 6 WEEKS with torn knee ligaments, which probably aren't 100% yet. So combining that and a lack of conditioning because of being gone that long, what did you expect? 40 pts? Be realistic. I'll guarantee you this though- he's at least giving 100% and making an effort to recover from his injury and get back in the rotation, unlike another Rocket center named Kelvin Cato. If you want to criticize somebody, criticize Cato, not Collier.

------------------
    President of the Jason Collier and Mo Taylor fan club!

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

18. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Cat, I saw EVERY game this year from the Rocks. I know what Collier has done.

But, you know who else had a string of good games also? Derrick Chevious. Remember him? Talk of Rookie of the Year once. Where is he?

You can tell who has skills and who doesn't. You actually think this guy is good? Or near it? Good enough for what?

You might be right about giving him a chance. But, I didn't like the pick in the first place so I might be raggin on him too hard. But, from what I saw yesterday?

I don't know about this guy.

------------------

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think he is capable of being one of the best backup centers in the league and possibly a good starting center- I honestly believe that. I've watched him for 3-4 years now, and I really like his game. He showed some of his potential earlier this season, and when he is fully healthy, I think he'll go back to that form. You can apply Chevious to anyone, so I don't see the relevance of bringing him up here. I'm not saying he'll DEFINITELY be what I think he will be. But I think there's a good chance. I think this guy has legit skills, and when he is fully healthy again I think he'll have another chance to prove the doubters wrong. What you saw yesterday was a guy who hasn't played basketball in 6 weeks with a bad knee trying to work his way back into the rotation. You cannot expect too much in that scenario. And for the record, exactly what rookie picked after Collier that was a legit consideration for us has outplayed Collier? Sure hasn't been Pryzbilla. Not Moiso. Not Etan Thomas. Not only have we gotten the better player so far, we get a 1st rounder next year too. That move looks ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT right now.

------------------
    President of the Jason Collier and Mo Taylor fan club!

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited January 12, 2001).]

20. heypartner

alright Almu, I love you, man. But coming out of lurk mode to get The Cat scratching posts again after we stroked him into bliss is ... ugh!

Please don't say Mo' Sucks...hehe