1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Be honest, do you miss Trevor Ariza & Luc Mbah a Moute?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 疯狂伊文戴德蒙, Nov 27, 2018.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This team's issues are much deeper than not having Ariza and Moute. First of all Moute barely plays for the Clippers due to injury and I suspect he'd be having the same issues if we retained him knowing our luck. Obviously you don't retain Ariza for 15 mil, although he'd be nice to have.

Everyone keeps forgetting that the last time we had a season like this, 15-16, Ariza was a member of that team and participated in that dumpster fire. That team also had a massive regression in defense and Ariza didn't do anything to stop it. So lets not act like he'd fix things on that end.

This team as-is has shown it's capable of playing good defense. If they were able to sustain that level of defense most of the season we'd be just fine. But for unknown reasons, just like in 15-16, the Rockets usually don't even show up on that end.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

To answer your question directly, no, not in the least bit. Not at all in fact.

What I miss is the rockets winning and the rockets defense. I think people are falsely attributing losses this season to the fact that Ariza and Luc are gone because well, the national media keeps parroting it like idiots. A lot changed this summer other than just those two leaving. The 14 second reset after an offensive rebound has caused scoring to increase. When you couple that with the fact that player movement fouls are eating defenders like Ennis alive the game has changed a little. The flux of Melo in and out of the roster has hurt too, heck all roster flux has hurt. We can't seem to get into a rhythm. Having Ariza and Luc doesn't necessarily fix that. What fixes that is coaching, players stepping up and into their roles, and our franchise players really locking down on effort every night on both ends. Again, as others have pointed out, Luc hasn't really been healthy this season either, and with Ariza's family issues I wouldn't be shocked if the rockets has the same flux issues as well.

Fyreball, topfive and mfastx like this.
  3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Ariza is not playing a lot? He missed 2 games but plays 34.4 mins a game. Thats not a lot?

4. jb86

jb86 Member

Of course I miss Ariza.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Trevor --- 15 Million
    9.8 PTs
    5.4 RBs
    3.3 Ast
    10 - PER
    .4 WS

James Ennis - (3.4 Million for 2 year)
    8.3 Pts
    2.4 RBs
    .7 Ast
    10.9 PER
    .7 WS

Rocket River

aroundtheblock2 likes this.
  6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

stop living in the past and move on.... why'd you miss any of these 2 role players?!??!

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

bc this team is in need of actual role players is a good start

8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

What does that have to do with how much he plays? There is a difference between playing a lot and playing good.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

And he's being lauded for his defense (which would apparently solve everything for us) when he used to get attacked viciously here for being old and slow.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

No, I don't miss those two specifically. I miss last year's overall tenaciousness and hunger. I miss the ferocity with which the team played. I miss the obvious joy and love the entire team played with. I miss the fact that Ariza was obviously a huge presence in the locker room, and players seemed to listen to him whenever he spoke. I miss seeing CP3 on the court. But specifically, no, I don't miss them.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I miss winning.

J Sizzle likes this.
  12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Honestly I don't miss them.

13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

yeah talking and missing these 2 guys will help right

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

as opposed to what. talking about non rotational guys right

15. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I miss this team winning and playing defense. We should be able to do both well enough, without both. Defense is primarily about effort, especially in basketball, ask PJ.

疯狂伊文戴德蒙 likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nicely said...

DD

17. BigBum

BigBum Member

Wrongful thought.

According to SAS, Ariza want $10 million salary only if he played for Rockets. Moute would not be injured if he were here.

You can deal Ariza/Gordon/2 picks for Butler/1 playable player.

You can deal Anderson for a rotation player because he was willing to take 6 million pay cut.

Now you've got 9-man rotations.

18. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

You know who I miss the most, Montrezl Harrell. That one stings the most.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

to answer OPs question:

yes, everyday. and coach B too.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting, assuming that's true (which who knows if it is) that'd still be pretty steep. Don't know enough about the discussions to comment.

But the bolded is pure baseless speculation unlike my comment, which is based in reality.