1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BBALLBREAKDOWN] Meet the ONLY team that can beat the Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DreamShook, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Coach Nick always give good unbiased analysis!

2. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

People who don't follow CP3 closely have some weird preconceptions about him, just like Harden.

If not for the injuries, CP3 was still a beast last year, shown no signs of slowing down with age, and probably had one of the best playoffs performances of his career against Utah. To me, this guy looked like he's still well in his prime.

In my opinion, the reason why some people reacted negatively to this trade is because they thought too highly of Harden as the primary playmaker and Beverley as some kind of a legitimate offensive threat and defensive juggernaut. I had a somewhat different view on this, which made me very happy about the trade.

CP3 fills all of the holes that I always felt held the Rockets back, and now Harden can focus on scoring while playing a part-time PG (which is what I think is ideal for him), and let CP3 be the primary floor general, and pick up his scoring if Harden is having an off night. Also, CP3 is a much better team defender than Bev.

#22 brewer's goat, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  3. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

So is Curry, but he's also not as limited in terms of when he can get his shot off. It'll be interesting to see Klay be the main guy on his team and how that affects his shooting %, because Klay generally has been pretty bad in the playoffs and I don't think he would be that effective of a scorer as a 1st option without the ability to create his own shot, especially when the defensive pressure is high.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Ever watch Reggie Miller?

Thompson creates scoring plays for himself with great reads. He wouldn’t be as effective in Harden’s role, but in the right offense I think he could be a number 1 option. We’re talking about a guy who holds the record for most points scored in a quarter, and who scored 60 in 3 quarters.

5. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

While playing in a perfect system alongside Curry (and now Durant)? No chit.

Also, Reggie Miller was far from the center of the offense on his team. Take a look at his career FGA per game; it's pathetically low for a 1st option, and guys like Rik Smits and Chuck Person frequently took more shots than Reggie Miller in Indiana. He was just a cog in the wheel, albeit a big one.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

just curious right now which team/s has their best player as a spot up shooter/off-ball mover?

or which team/s best player can he replace to be the best player while making team better or as good?

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Or which team has a future Hall of Fame PG running the show every single minute that isn't garbage time.

D-rock likes this.
  8. durvasa

He was his team’s leading scorer for 10 consecutive years. Cog in a wheel, sure. I’m just saying he is more than a spot up shooter and he can create offense for himself through elite off ball action.

joshuaao likes this.
  9. vlaurelio

this. exactly my point.. in todays nba its difficult to find a team whose best player is NOT a playmaker or a lengthy mobile big can do everything (like AD or Giannis or KP).. if you can only do spot ups and off-ball movement then chances are you aren't the best player on your team..

Klay is simply a richman's Reddick or Ego

10. vlaurelio

is there any reggie miller types out there now? a spot up shooter and he can create offense for himself through elite off ball action who at the same time is the #1 option/best player of his team?

#30 vlaurelio, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  11. brewer's goat

brewer's goat Member

Those off ball actions don't work as well when you're the center of attention on defense, which is why Klay had PER of 12.0, 14.8, 19.5, and 9.3 in the last four playoffs series (his playoffs TS% is also pathetic). Except for that one year, he really struggled when the defense has dedicated more attention on his off the ball movement tendencies. This level of drop off is simply unheard of for a supposedly star level player.

Curry doesn't depend on the off ball movements to be great, and that's what separates him from the likes of Klay. Klay is just a glorified 3&D player, and it's comical that some people think this guy is a franchise star worthy player.

#31 brewer's goat, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    FANfrom86toNow and DonKnock like this.
  12. basketballholic

Rubio playing in this pick and roll system with three shooters would be great. No he can't stop and pop like Paul. Not his game. Yes, he would find guys in similar fashion to Paul and yes he would be an efficient scorer because he would draw a ton of fouls at the rim in pnr. Rubio is more efficient drawing fouls in pnr than Harden is. He'd average about 12 points, 14 assists, and over 2 steals a game here on very low turnovers.

Capela is overrated. Sorry. But he does have chemistry and the guys like him. I'm beginning to think they're gonna keep him at least until the end of the season. I just hope we acquire a quality backup that can defend the paint and possibly match up with bigger bigs if necessary. Don't want to have to depend on CC's defense. Tucker is great. But he can't guard some of the bigger guys and I'm not sure how well he can neutralize Draymond at this point, even though I believe Tucker is our best big man defender since Chuckwagon.

13. durvasa

No. Is that reason enough to assume that such a team couldn’t exist in today’s game and be successful?

14. vlaurelio

so which team do you think klay can replace the best player/#1 option and be better?

or which team who has enough cap space for a max player will be a good fit for klay?

15. durvasa

To be clear: you're asking me which team should give him a max contract, because I'm saying he's more than just a glorified Patrick Beverley type player.

I don't know that I'd give him a max contract, or that I'd want to build a team with him as my best player given league trends towards ball dominant guards. At the same time, I also don't assume he's incapable of being the best player on a good team. Those two sentences are not mutually exclusive.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's nice we're getting a lot of praise these days, but if we take a step back we see that the NBA could get pretty boring so the media has to manufacture a challenge to them and maybe that challenge is us. What I'm saying is, we can't really trust all the hype, we have to see for ourselves whether this team is ready for the Warriors or not. I think at the moment we are NOT ready, but that could change with chemistry, small acquisition or a big leap from an existing player. I'm fairly confident we'll be ready for them by the time the playoffs roll around.

Also, I sometimes wish we had Bev rather than Gordon off the bench. I wonder if that is a better trio for what we need. Not sure.

17. durvasa

Why would you assume that a player who's been so inefficient throughout his career at putting the ball in the basket would all of a sudden turn into an all-star caliber player 7 years into his NBA career (and many more if counting his full professional career)? Is there any sort of historical precedent you can point to for this?

Rubio is more efficient drawing fouls than Harden? What exactly do you mean by that, and what metric are you using?

Tucker is not a better big man defender than Dwight Howard or Omer Asik.

D-rock likes this.
  18. vlaurelio

no GM on a good team wanting or even giving him a chance to be their best player (you agree with this)

=

he's incapable of being the best player on a good team (but you don't agree with this)

19. durvasa

"no GM on a good team wanting or even giving him a chance to be their best player" implies "he's incapable of being the best player on a good team"?

Assuming the first sentence is true (which I don't know), that would still be a faulty inference.

20. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

It is not a fair comparison. CP3 is Jean Grey level offense. PatBev is Wolverine. It will be a success when the silverware cabinet gets new company.