1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

basketball leagues

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac640, May 12, 2005.

1. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

was looking to join a summer basketball league?

a stupid question I guess, but since the ymca's around the houston area are closed as of 8:10 thurs night, I'll ask it.

do all ymca's have basketball leagues during the summer? or is it just selects? and are some basketball leagues better than others at ymca's?

was looking for something relatively relaxed, but still competitive to join for the summer time, have some fun and throw in some exercise as well.

I was thinking about joining up at the northwest ymca (bout 8 mins away), but ruling out ymca's downtown due to traffic.

if not the ymca though, any other recommendations as to where to join a league at?

thanks for any help

-tmac

2. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I would like to know of some places as well. Benn REAL interested in joining one. I live in Sugar Land though and haven't had good luck at the local YMCA.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You guys should check out Club Monkey. I believe it's Club Monkey dot com. It's basically like a college intramural league for Houston. I played in a basketball league with them a year ago and had fun. There are all different talent divisions. Our league's game were at Lee High School on Hillcroft(?) or somewhere over there just west of the Richmond strip.

I played in one of the more competitive leagues.

4. TMac640

thanks texxx, club monkey looks pretty cool

will definitely keep that one in mind, although if northwest ymca should have some kinda league going, might join that.

post oak's a bit too far to make that commute daily.

5. mogrod

That Club Monkey does look pretty good. Maybe, if enough people are interested here, we can put together a Clutch BBS team or something. I have myself and my brother.

Hey texxx, do you have to get your uniforms yourself or does the league provide them for you?

6. TMac640

yeah depends for me

was actually looking at post oak ymca, that too far from ya mogrod?

depending on a few factors though there

might
    a ) join the "free agency" pool (for $40 a person or like $500 + for a team) getting picked up by a random team

and

B) would like to see how easy it is to get on the same team or not, although I guess if there's nothing they can do then I'll join up regardless

bigtexxx when you played for club monkey, could you like have a friend or something on the same team?

1) not really looking to start a team or pay the startup fee for it

2) looking to go in with like me and a friend and just pay some ball, if possible, on the same team.

7. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

That does sound like fun. I'd be down for that. Price is fine by me to. About 60 a person? Team of 8?

Who is in?

I'd probably play G depending on the make-up of the roster. I have a post-up game but can also face-up. 3pt range is streaky. Mid-range is average. I'm 5'10 185lbs and I can run full w/o endurance problems.

Who is in??

8. BiGGieStuFF

Where is that post oak YMCA located at? Is it closer to galleria or like meyerland area. I might be interested. I already play like once a week with friends and like twice more at 24 hour fitness.

9. TMac640

1331 Augusta
    Houston , TX 77057

10. TMac640

alright.... unless anyone else knows a ymca with a summer league still open for 18 and up, then perhaps club monkey it is

because I just got off the phone with post oak, and aside from pickup games, their "free agency" pool isn't working out too well for them in terms of assembling teams.

northwest ymca's too small and doesn't have one

downtown's ymca league has already started

you'd think there would be more than just one place to play in a city the size of houston though...

#10 TMac640, May 13, 2005
    Last edited: May 13, 2005
  11. BiGGieStuFF

Probably best bet is to put together your own team. I have friends who are interested but one thing we lack I'm afraid is size. Always gotta have at least one 6foot plus guy right?

12. mogrod

Yea, I don't understand either. My broher and I have been trying to find a place for the last couple of years and have had no luck. I'm surprised I never came across Club Monkey before.

Biggie, sounds good. I'm only 6'0, but I play anywhere from two-guard to PF. I like being more of a role player doing all the dirty work (ie: rebounding, defense, etc.). My brother is a guard too and he plays either the point or SG, but he likes being a passer.

Anyone else interested?

We could get some cheap jerseys printed up for the Clutch BBS team and wipe up the competition.

13. BiGGieStuFF

So 3 down, 5 more to go :). We could have less on the roster but that means more money per person, but more playing time but hey, I'm guessing all of us aren't spring chickens possibly so it's important to have rotations to keep everyone fresh right? This should be interesting :)

14. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

was actually thinking about posting something about this. i haven't hooped in a few weeks and was looking for some folks to get a once a week thing down.

ymca downtown pickup games during the evening grow tiresome with all the arguments and shat. don't know what ever happened to respecting someone's call. wasn't too suprised to be involved in a game where a fist fight erupted. sad. an older guy ended up getting knocked to the floor with his face cut after trying to break up the fight.

anyway, whoever is checking on all of this stuff could you email a bruh at tigercranestyle@gmail.com ? DEPENDING on the day of the week and time i may be able.

15. BiGGieStuFF

Well if we go through the clubmonkey website it indicates there will be paid referees there so that should help reduce the arguments. Price is 56.25 per person for a 8 player team for 450 bucks. Looks like it starts July 18th so we still got a bit of time to put together a team. Play appears to be on Monday and Tuesday for intermediate and thursdays for competitive levels. Times are from 6:30 - 10:30 pm.

16. TMac640

mmm yeah if we're talking $56.25 a person and have an actual team together, sounds pretty kickass then.

I'm definitely in as one of the 8.

17. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I would probabally be down. I am 6'1" & 190. I play in a league in the Woodlands on Sundays, but would like to play during the week also. I live on the West side fo town, but driving anywhere is fine by me.

18. TMac640

cool man

so that's: (bold = more than likely , not bold = questionable)

me (and possibly a friend)
    biggie
    rocketsredglare
    mogrod
    omega

so with 4 more than likely, and 2 possible's, we've got 6

19. BiGGieStuFF

So okay...we got

Mograd +1
    Me
    Tmac640+1
    RocketsRedGlare
    OmegaSupreme - tentative on his schedule.

Anyone else?

20. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I would try to stay with no more then 8. Anymore and everybody is sitting out to much.