1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baseball Predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by MadMax, Mar 8, 2004.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

dotel is better than borowski but thats the only advantage we have. lidge can be dominant but you can't mention lidge's name without mentioning injuries. the guy would have been one of the dominant closers in the league if he could have stayed healthy....but he can't. after those 2 who do we have?

i'll take latroy, remlinger, and farnsworth over lidge, stone, and gallo or whoever you want to throw in there

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Miceli

3. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

Santana is a good pitcher, formerly a member of the Astros farm system before being stolen by way of the Rule 5 draft, but 30 games? I see 17-20 a lot more likely.

Mauer hasn't proven anything at the major league level, so I don't know how he is automatically the Batting Champ.

4. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

The Cubs improved in every category, but I can't see them having the edge over the Astros. Roy Oswalt and Carlos Hernandez missed a combined 45 starts last season. Those starts were replaced by Jeriome Robertson, Jared Fernandez, and Ron Villone. Despite the injuries last season the Cubs still only won the division by a mere game.

Now we have Andy Pettitte, Roger Clemens, and Roy Oswalt (Back from injury) to take the starts of Ron Villone, Jared Fernandez, and Jeriome Robertson.

The addition of Lee, Hawkins, and Mercker will help. However, I am sick of this Corey Patterson and Aramis Ramirez for the entire season will help. Corey Patterson's OBP last season was an awful .329 and basically had one good month and Erroramis Ramirez just might be the worst defensive 3B ever.

The one thing people overlook with the Cubs is their defense. It is atrocious. Ramirez is terrible, Grudz/Walker have little range, Sosa has no arm, and Alou just can't do anything defensively.

5. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

Miceli, Gallo, Duckworth, and Veres *should* all be solid. Miceli and Gallo both had very respectable ERAs with us last season. Duckworth has excellent stuff and needed to get away from Bowa. Veres didn't have a good year last season, but should return to form after shoulder surgery.

6. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yeah I hope so because that would pretty much mean our weaknesses are only stealing (which I don't really care about with our power), defense, and that hole in center field.

Erroramis Ramirez haha, good one. :D

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I wish I could shake your hand too because that would be the easiest bet I ever won. It seems the Braves lose a key player each year but someway or another they keep winning. People said they were finished when they lost Gant, and Justice but they kept on rolling after that. This team is the real deal and will win more games than the Astros. Thats another bet you can take if you want it.

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I see a lot of people picking the Red Sox to go to the WS. I will bet my sig against anyone for a year that the Sawx do NOT go to the Series.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. in the past, when they've lost a player they've also replaced him...they haven't done that this year.

2. they didn't lose ONE player this offseason. they lost a key pitcher, and arguably their two biggest offensive threats from last season.

by the way...no one said they were finished when the lost Gant and Justice. no one at all. there were zero teams in the NL East even putting pressure on the Braves back then...and they still had easily the best rotation in baseball...they don't have anything even close to that, anymore.

i'll take that astros bet, too.

like candy from a baby! :D

10. MadMax

what he said....

and I'd like to add that saying, "well, sure we have dotel, but what about the rest?" is like saying, "sure you have nuclear weapons, but we have some great tanks." having a distinct, strong closer is something good teams salivate over. Dotel has been the best relief pitcher in baseball over the past 2 seasons, statistically. i also think you're drastically underestimating brad lidge.

i feel much more comfortable being an astros fan late in close games than i would as a cubs fan.

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

Max,

I'd take that bet too, but I think Atlanta will be pretty competitive as always.

They have a nice outfield of C. Jones, A. Jones and Drew. The front 3 in their rotation is solid (Hampton/Ortiz/Ramirez).

Their problem will be offense from the infield.

Regardless, like the Utah Jazz, I just feel Atlanta will find a way to fight for a playoff spot, even if its just a wild card.

12. MadMax

in years past i might agree...but i don't think they're going to beat out Philly for the NL East...and I don't think they'll end up with a better record than either the Cubs or the Astros...and that leaves them home in October.

13. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I agree that Atlanta is screwed. They lost way too much and Philly loaded up. Florida is still a good team and New York isnt a slouch. I think Atlanta will end up behind Philly and Florida this year.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Also at 2B. As I said before, Todd Walker is a walking error. I also don't think his .270/25/85 comes close to comparing to Kent.

15. Buck Turgidson

I think he'll have a year just like the rest of his career.

He'll hit .285, with 23 complaints about his knees and 95 days spent on the DL.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Considering he hit .323 with 27 HRs and 73 RBI in only 109 games in 2001, those stats you cite wouldn't qualify as a career year.

A career year for Drew will be being healthy enough to play in 150+ games.

17. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

2 words for MadMax and Lil Francis:

sig. bet.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Lil Francis must be the President of the J.D. Drew Fan Club.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

JD Drew does have the sweetest swing in the game... after living in St. Louis for four years, I'll be the first to admit that.

But, also after living there, you'll notice that he has the propensity to get injured just by sitting in the dugout.

Its damn frustrating watch a guy of his talent be reduced by constant injury problems.

If he's healthy (or relatively so), there really isn't any reason why he can't have a great year... of course, him having good health is even less likely than him having an MVP year.

That's how frail he is.

20. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

I was answering the question who should be good besides Dotel and Lidge. Dotel was the best setup man in baseball the past 2 seasons and he should have no problem as a closer.

Lidge, in my opinion, will be the most improved Astro this season. He tailed off at the end of last season, but he should be better conditioned this time. He has also been working on a change that should give him more options on lefties.

Dotel, Lidge, Miceli, Gallo, Veres, and Duckworth is a pretty good bullpen.