1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bagwell not the Only One to Blame: Chron.com

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by pgabriel, Jun 15, 2004.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

June 15, 2004, 1:30AM

Bagwell isn't the only one to blame
    By RICHARD JUSTICE
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle
    RICHARD JUSTICE
    Q&A: Got sports questions? Send them to Chronicle columnist Richard Justice here
    • The Q&A so far.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Interactive:
    • Richard Justice on Clemens' 1st loss
    Requires the free RealPlayer
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Latest Richard Justice columns:
    • Justice: Bagwell isn't the only one to blame
    • Justice: Capt. Hook's impatience damaging
    • Justice: Williams can't hide Astros' flaws
    • Justice: Bagwell still battles pain

I'm all for holding people accountable. So, sure, go ahead and drop Jeff Bagwell in the batting order.

Just don't stop there.

If accountability is the new policy, let's remember all the others who've contributed to building this sleepy fourth-place team.

Like the guy who signed Richard Hidalgo to that $32 million contract. Can we have his name by the close of business?

Who gave Jeff Kent the no-trade clause that's now blocking Chris Burke's path to the big leagues? Come on, fess up.

And don't forget the genius who ordered the trade of Billy Wagner. That deal helped the franchise, didn't it?

Please don't repeat the silly company line about the Wagner trade freeing up money to sign Andy Pettitte.

That dog won't hunt. Wagner was traded after owner Drayton McLane ordered an across-the-board reduction in salaries. He agreed to a payroll increase only after Pettitte gave him a huge hometown discount and lured Roger Clemens out of retirement.

The Astros would have jumped on the Pettitte deal whether Wagner had been traded or not.

Time for accountability
    Back to naming names.

Who constructed a bullpen without quality middle relief? Post that name, too.

Wait, there's more.

Has the manager done a good job handling the pitching staff? Has he made a mistake in not playing Jason Lane earlier or not giving more at-bats to Mike Lamb? Let's have some explanations.

What about the coaching staff? Shouldn't those guys have done a better job with Morgan Ensberg, Tim Redding and Wade Miller? When will those names be announced?

Once all those names are out and all the blame is assigned, let's hope those people act half as decently as Bagwell did Monday upon learning manager Jimy Williams had dropped him from third to fifth in the batting order.

I'm guessing he was angry, hurt and defiant. I'm guessing he would like to point out that a couple of other people have not played well and that moving one guy shines a spotlight unfairly on that one guy.

Except he didn't say any of that.

Follow his example
    On this humiliating day, on the day the Astros essentially made the inevitable decision that they will now build their lineup around Lance Berkman, Bagwell did what he has almost always done.

He pointed a finger at himself. He said he would not argue with the decision. He said he hoped it would make the team better.

Let's hope McLane and general manager Gerry Hunsicker and all the others responsible for this season were paying attention.

Their time is coming.

Bagwell showed again why he's the kind of guy who'll be virtually impossible to replace and why the Astros may never again have one so good in almost every area.

For 14 seasons, he has been the first to accept blame and the last to want credit. In ways large and small, he's the prototype of what every big-league player should be.

I'm guessing that in his heart of hearts Bagwell might agree with the move, because he's harder on himself than any columnist or talk-show host ever could be.

He's hitting .180 this month, and with the Astros last in the National League in runs in June, Williams had to try something new.

We may never know how tough this day really was because he simply does not reveal much of himself.

Know this, though. As his aching shoulder has gotten worse and worse the last two years, he has thought seriously about the end of his career for the first time.

Playing through pain
    Given the damage, arthritis and bone spurs, it's amazing he has continued to play at all.

He has kept going out there because he believes it's his responsibility, because it's all he has ever done and because he thinks he can still be productive. He could have gone home and collected his millions.

This might be the beginning of the end of his greatness, or it just might be a slump. His shoulder injury may be getting worse, but it's not new.

In the two full seasons of playing despite the problem, he had 70 home runs and 198 RBIs. Despite a terrible June, he's still on a pace for 24 home runs and 91 RBIs.

He knows that's not good enough. He knows you won't accept that. He knows that because he has been here for so long and because he's making so much money and because his greatness has gotten blurred by his familiarity, you expect more.

That's OK, because he expects more, too.

He accepted being shifted to the cleanup spot two years ago and never uttered a complaint even though the switch essentially did nothing. In the end, it was a shuffling of the deck that amounted to nothing substantive. This move may play out the same way.

With Berkman hitting third and Bagwell fifth Monday night, the Astros lost a lifeless 7-2 game to the Chicago Cubs.

Bagwell was hitless, and Berkman had a double in four at-bats. As a team, the Astros were 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position and left nine runners on base.

They were 0-for-13 with runners on base until the ninth inning. They didn't so much as advance a runner until Berkman went from second to third on a wild pitch in the sixth.

Monday's loss was the Astros' 18th in 30 games. In this stretch, they've scored three runs or less 16 times.

Bagwell has been a big part of that slump. But he's had some company, too.

Link

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Although I dont always agree with him, Justice's writing style and thoughts are refreshing. He seems more likely to call out players in his columns that other Chron writers are.

3. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Despite a terrible June, he's still on a pace for 24 home runs and 91 RBIs.

Not to discredit Bagwell, he's obviously playing through pain, but come on Justice, don't try and pull the wool over the average readers eyes and make it sound like 24 and 91 are solid numbers.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

they're not for a #3 hitter....but i would be content with a #5 hitter having those numbers.

5. drapg

drapg Member

On 610 this morning, John and Lance said they talked to Richie last night while he was penning this column. Apparently, he has wanted to write this scathing type of commentary for a few weeks, but the higher-ups at the Chronicle refused to allow it. After last night's game, they let loose the reigns and told him to go forward.

6. codell

Last year, only 40 players (out of approx 500-600 players) had more than 24 HRS and 91 RBIs.

If 24 HRs and 91 RBIs is not a solid in comparison, I don't know what is. :confused:

7. MadMax

they're just not "legendary!!" :D

sorry, gunn...i couldn't resist!!!

8. codell

Id agree that they aren't solid for Bags, nor solid for a #3 hitter. But besides Berky and Kent, there isn't anyone else on our team who can produce 24 HRs and 91 RBIs.

9. MadMax

i'm not disagreeing with you.

10. codell

Oh I know you weren't.

Just trying to show Gunn that less than 10% of MLB players had those #s last year, so they can't be considered less than solid, unless you compare then to Bags previous years, or to other #3 hitters.

11. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

That's my point.

...and no Max, far from legendary. ;)

12. codell

I think Justice though, was implying that they were solid #s, while not basing that on Bagwell's history or his spot in the order.

So what makes you think hes pulling the wool over our eyes??

13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

If you can, list the players please. I want to see who they are. And it can be considered less than solid considering who you are and what you mean to the team.

14. MadMax

Ok...re-reading this article. I don't agree with much of it.

1. It seems to be nothing more than a "Bagwell isn't doing well...but neither are the rest of you...nanny nanny boo boo" piece. Seriously....it's like they're best friends, or something. Are they dating?

2. Jeff Kent is holding back Chris Burke??? Come on!! Jeff Kent is the best 2B in the NL. Chris Burke will have his time, but he wasn't ready for the bigs this year, anyway. If there were no Jeff Kent, someone else would be playing 2B for the Astros, and it wouldn't be Chris Burke.

3. Suffice it to say I disagree with the notion that McLane would have signed Pettitte after KEEPING Wagner's salary. You can't in one sentence lament McLane's budget-cutting moves and in the next tell us how he would have signed on Andy freaking Pettitte without some relief elsewhere for payroll.

I freaking love Jeff Bagwell...but let's not get carried away. Berkman is a better hitter than he is at this point of his career. I don't believe that Berkman at his best will ever touch what Bagwell was at his best...but that's not the point. Right now, Lance Berkman SHOULD be in the 3 hole.

Bagwell isn't on the bench...he's just down a couple of spots in the lineup card. It's as if Justice, who I've really liked reading before, thinks Bagwell was just shipped to Round Rock. He's still expected to be a HUGE part of this team's race for another division crown. And nobody is questioning what he's meant to this franchise by simply asking him to bat in the 5 hole.

15. codell

Im not going to sit here and type the names of all 40 players, but here is where I obtained my info from:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/alltime/leaders?sort=8&breakdown=0&year=2003

There were 57 players that hit more than 24 HRS, but only 40 of them also had more than 91 RBIs.

16. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Not necessarily over "our" eyes. I was refering to the some that may not be able to make that distinction.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

John and Lance were saying that once Justice told them that Bagwell was the most professional, professional athlete he's ever covered in any sport. When you take into account all factors, ability, community service, access to the media, etc., he considers Bagwell the best.

18. codell

The best hes ever covered??? or the best "ever"???

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he's ever covered.

20. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I laughed when I read this excerpt from Justice's article. The guy is batting .305 and just came off of an Astros record 25-game hit streak. Calm down Richard, take a deep breath, lets not get carried away here.