1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[B/R] Meet the Other Guy Responsible for the Houston Rockets' Dramatic Turnaround

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YOLO, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

That quote stuck out to me too. As fans, we probably see more and in more depth of Harden than a NBA fan will but even at that...this is an interesting quote. James has always been kind of, aloof? Sort of, acknowledged media but not really played to it. Even with the heat turning up, the only real "response" I ever saw was that commercial where he said, "me? defensive? nah" or whatever. Tongue firmly in cheek. So, I can kind of see how he might rub media the wrong way, even with him seeming to be more open and responsive to post-game interviews (now that he's MVP) I feel like he's very guarded about his responses and they're so matter-of-fact that only a truly antagonistic person would delve into it looking to pull out MORE criticisms.

Like this quote. He's almost saying, "yeah i own a tv" like well they are using my name and image every single day. But? He doesn't care, like, at all. And hasn't. And isn't going to. And really, after a half decade of being dogged for minute indiscretions, why should he? Now or later? Or in the past?

Just another great thing about the man. There might be, MIGHT BE 2 players in the world better than him and his ego is firmly in check. He lets noise be noise. That's maturity and self-awareness you can't teach.

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i expected an article on PJ Tucker...

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I don't understand half the lingo Bzdelik spouts in the B/R story. I love that. It makes me think he sees levels of defense that are entirely beyond my comprehension.

And now you know how consultants get paid.

Deuce and Deckard like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The Madden NFL game has done wonders to teach fans the language of plays, packages, coverage, etc. Makes football fans feel smarter when they can talk-the-talk while spitting fire around the watercooler on Mondays.

NBA and FIFA fans need better video games.

5. foggy94

foggy94 Member

This is a weird article. Here are our defensive stats before and after Bzdelik came back

Def Efficiency:
    Before - 108.8 (18th)
    After - 113.3 (28th)

Defensive Rebounding
    Before - 70.0% (26th)
    After - 69.5% (28th)

Our defense is still abjectly terrible, unless we can turn it on in a 7 game series in the playoffs we're gonna get blasted out by GSW.

6. MystikArkitect

So is there a reason Bzdelik only coaches in the second half and also isn’t allowed to coach in the last 1:30?

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

interesting...i think players start taking things for granted after playing well for a stretch, then when they put the guard down giving a life to the opposing team they struggle to find rhythm again and mess up everything...

this team lacks a killer instinct of the last years team and i think harden is to blame because he is the first one that relaxes as soon as we get 5/ 10 pts lead

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this article is cringeworthy
    looks a like a misguided piece written in advance that does not match the reality
    i never seen a defense so bad in my life and its not like we dont have defensive minded players

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

most likely weird to you, in which case you may not have ready and understood the article in its entirety

10. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I read it. It's weird for the reason I said above. Calm down big guy it ain't that deep

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

then you would of noticed how the numbers were aimed at the December month stretch, compared to nightmare of the beginning of the season

12. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Cool. It's January 24th.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's great. and capela has a injured finger

14. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Did you like write this article or something?

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

are you bothered that you didn't really understand it? sounds like it

16. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Lol.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I enjoyed the read. Sure, it's not fresh off the presses, but it points out a couple of things Coach B is clearly responsible for that have made a difference in improving our defense, in my opinion. Capela not switching as much on the perimeter and spending more time hanging back in the paint, protecting the basket, and James playing more defense in the post, where he's clearly been effective (which is nothing new, but he's doing more of it), somewhat to the surprise of our opponents.

I think those two adjustments not only made our D more effective, but also reduced, at least a bit, the energy both guys have to put into defense. Less running out to the perimeter on switches for both of them. At least that's what I'm seeing. I'm just glad Coach Bdzelik decided to return, whatever the reasons were.

YOLO likes this.
  18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I love this quote. Thanks YOLO.

YOLO likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Bob Barker 007

We need Adam Silver as Pontius Pilate and Steve Kerr and the Warriors as the Sadducees.