1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Axios] A manufacturing investment supercycle is starting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dmoneybangbang, Jun 19, 2023.

1. dmoneybangbang

[Axios] A manufacturing investment supercycle is starting

It's been awhile since the US has had a tangible industrial policy with the money to back it. Per the article spending and construction job growth is already rising, especially the former. Inevitably there will be some waste, graft, etc. with hundreds of billions at stake, but if the overall legislations (ARPA, Infrastructure Bill, Inflation Reduction Act, and CHIP) steers green technology/advanced manufacturing/new heavy industries and many of their supply chains towards America/North America then it is a success.

I think some of the roadblocks will be environmentalists (opposed to new mining or heavy industrial waste) and legislators like the Freedom Caucus. Environmentalists are a pretty broad group and I'm sure there's both stuff to like and dislike from their point of view. However, I am of the mind it's better the world or our allies buy more from us, even petro products. Feels like supply chains will become more regionalized and/or new trading alliances will emerge.

astros123 likes this.
  2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

So Trump was correct? We need to bring manufacturing back?

3. astros123

astros123 Member

Lolololol bless your heart my friend for being so naive

4. adoo

adoo Member

Trump was all hat, no cattle.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Thank you, Donald Trump, for delivering on all of your promises. “Only I can fix this”. No truer words have ever been spoken.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Not really a D&D topic imo.

7. astros123

astros123 Member

It only happened after legislation was passed ?

adoo likes this.
  8. Xerobull

Is that debatable?

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What politician ever said we don't need manufacturing?

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

But the debt ! The interest rate! There got to be at least one d&d poster who are against US manuf, infrastructure, and chip investment.

lol, this is one area that most agree with. Except Biden deliver and Trump was/is all bs.

11. dmoneybangbang

And Obama too, but neither were able to get any coherent legislation passed.

A president/candidate talking about manufacturing isn’t just a Trump thing, but actually putting it into action is rare.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yes/no?

Trumo created a pronounced shift in China relations. The writing was already on the wall with Xi's rise during Obama.

That plus supply chain fears from Covid (and China's involvement with it), made the manufacturing shift more noticeable. Direct reshoreing is kinda a crapshoot though. Foxconn in Wisconsin kinda deflated. Not sure how far TSMC will go without a big lift by Uncle Sam.

Despite all the talk against China, trade between the two nations has been growing every year though 2023 might see Mexico as our no.1 trade partner.

You can't decouple all of that without missing a body part or two.

Nook likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well Trump did have lot of infrastructure weeks..

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All Trump could manufacture was a Big Fabricated Lie and a border wall scam where donors' money fell into the pockets of his criminal friends.

15. Xerobull

Not true! His tariffs shut down Canadian lumber production which lead to a massive 4x cost increase in lumber which contributed greatly to housing costs becoming even more out of reach for the average American!

Nook likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

I have it on very good authority (the best authority, no one is more authoritative) that "trade wars are easy to win"

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't Trump just steal that from Bernie's book which is why he took home all the rust belt during the 2016 election? I remember Hillary's team being arrogant about that area and did not campaign enough.

18. dmoneybangbang

How Samsung became the world’s No. 2 advanced chipmaker and set the stage for a U.S. manufacturing boom

astros123 likes this.
  19. Xopher

Xopher Member

No Worries likes this.