1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Auto Companies Hit Back At Romney Ads

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketMan Tex, Oct 31, 2012.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The Romney campaign reeks of desperation, and the writing is on the wall....

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...panies-hit-back-against-romney-ads/?hpt=hp_t2

Auto companies hit back against Romney ads

Posted by
    CNN's Ashley Killough

(CNN) – Democrats on Tuesday ramped up their pressure on the Romney campaign over two new ads on the auto bailout, as each side sought to sway voters in the crucial battleground state of Ohio.

Spokespeople for Obama's re-election effort pointed to quotes from General Motors and Chrysler executives blasting Mitt Romney over a new round of ads that accuse the auto giants of shifting jobs overseas.

"The ad is cynical campaign politics at its worst," General Motors spokesman Greg Martin told The New York Times. "We think creating jobs in the U.S. and repatriating profits back in this country should be a source of bipartisan pride."

The Romney radio ad, which aired in Ohio Tuesday, claims GM plans to double the number of cars built in China and that Chrysler plans to start making Jeeps in the same country.

"Mitt Romney: He'll stand up for the auto industry in Ohio, not China," the ad's narrator concludes.

The ad follows a television spot released over the weekend, which makes the same argument and faced wide criticism in recent days for its accuracy.

"Obama took GM and Chrysler into bankruptcy and sold Chrysler to Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China," the television spot's narrator says.

Romney originally floated that idea at a rally in Defiance, Ohio last week. He quoted a report about the majority owner of Chrysler, Fiat, saying it was considering producing its signature Jeep in China.

However, the Bloomberg report to which Romney was apparently referring said that the potential move would only affect cars produced for Chinese consumers.

Chrysler Senior Vice President of Corporate Communications Gualberto Ranieri emphatically denied the possibility U.S. production would be affected, writing in an online posting, "Let's set the record straight: Jeep has no intention of shifting production of its Jeep models out of North America to China."

The ad was rated "Pants on Fire" by the independent, fact-checking group PolitiFact.com. And former President Bill Clinton and Vice President Joe Biden on Monday tag teamed in their attacks against Romney over the ad.

The Romney campaign did not highlight their television ad–or Tuesday's radio ad–with a press release to reporters, as they have with nearly every other spot, but CNN's ad tracker Kantar Media CMAG, spotted the ad running on broadcast television stations in Toledo and Youngstown, Ohio – two Ohio manufacturing strongholds.

Martin, the GM representative, said Romney's ads show that the candidate is "bereft of any fundamental understanding of the global automotive industry.

"All global manufacturers, whether General Motors, Ford, Chrysler or VW, build historically in the markets in which we sell," he continued.

Romney's campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since the bail out Romney has really shown that he is no friend to the auto industry.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I am sick of liberal corporations showing their bias. Why are the media, pollsters, corporations, non partisan groups ALL so biased. I am sick of it... The American people and God support Romney over that Muslim.

And another thing, how dare that philanderer Slick Willie Clinton blame Sandy on global warming, it is God's call.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Wait for it....

Aura
    of
    Defeat

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Obama's lies and misrepresentations on Romney's stance on the auto bailout are the biggest deception of this campaign. Obama didn't save the auto industry -- he saved the union pensions, and prioritized them ahead of bondholders, breaking 100+ years of bankruptcy precedent, as a giveaway to his donors/supporters. That to me ought to be criminal. But then to say that Romney wanted the industry to die is just beyond the pale.

OBAMA put these companies through bankruptcy. Obama's policies have led to higher energy costs, which weaken manufacturing at home. Obama's policies of higher taxes will weaken the sector and the economy. Obama's insane regulations have forced these companies to make cars that no one wants (Volt). Exsqueeze me, but who is bad for Michigan? Um yeah, it's Obama. It's no wonder Obama's poll numbers are collapsing hard in the state...

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

fixed

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

bwahahahahaha

Thanks for that. Needed a good laugh.

One may or may not agree about the stances on this subject, but this is far from the biggest deception going on in this election. yeah, I see your "campaign" bait, but the humor is undeniable.

#8 CrazyDave, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fact checking and the auto companies themselves have shown who the real liar is. Your boy Romney has really taking a beating over this.

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Like Romney, TJ doesn't care. Tell any lie, distort any truth, so long as he wins votes.

[​IMG]

#10 mc mark, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Because Marco Polo always keeps his word.

12. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

So far, Romney's lies regarding the auto industry have been the biggest deceptions in a LONG list of deceptions put forth by the Romney camp over the last 7 years. His claims were so egregiously stupid that the entire American automobile industry put out press releases calling Romney out on the lies.

I think I have your schtick figured out. Just blame everything that your guys do on the Democrats, just do it louder and in a more obnoxious manner so that idiots actually believe there is substance to your claims.

The first part of your statement is just completely false. Save Obama's actions, it is highly likely that both GM and Chrysler would have ceased to exist. It seems pretty clear that Ford would still exist, but claiming that Obama didn't save 2/3 of the American automobile industry is just flat denying reality.

I get that you're upset that the union didn't take it up the a$$ like they have in nearly every other case over the last 30 years, but denying that Obama's actions did anything but save GM and Chrysler is your massive deception.

At least you can admit that what really pissed you off is that the union didn't take it up the a$$, I knew that already, but it is nice to get such clear confirmation of your partisan bias.

I haven't heard Obama or their proxies claiming that Romney wanted the industry to die, but the lack of action he claims he would have taken would have resulted in the death of both GM and Ford.

I'm pretty sure a bankruptcy court and the lawyers put the companies through bankruptcy. I do realize that the government was more involved in this case than in most bankruptcies (forcing the GM CEO out, forcing the Chrysler sale to Fiat, etc.), but at the time the government was a majority shareholder and it only seems right that such a huge influx of cash would have come with strings attached, as they should have with Wall Street.

Your partisan bias and willingness to lie are evident in this post. I know you won't substantiate the claim, so I will leave it at that.

Of course, Obama's ACTUAL policies (as opposed to the ones you appear to be making up in your head) have been to lower taxes on nearly everyone in the country, certainly all those who work for a living. That is, unless you happen to do a LOT of indoor tanning.

Forbes disagrees with your "analysis" regarding how many people want and have purchased a Volt.

Not according to the largest employers in that state. They have pretty forcefully rebuked Romney's claims regarding their industry.

Tipjar bet on who wins Michigan? Nah, you're a p***y, you wouldn't pay if you lost.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Is there anything that Romney hasn't been wrong on or flip flopped about?

Let Detroit Go Bankrupt
    By MITT ROMNEY
    Published: November 18, 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html?src=mv&_r=1&

IF General Motors, Ford and Chrysler get the bailout that their chief executives asked for yesterday, you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye. It won’t go overnight, but its demise will be virtually guaranteed.

Resurgent G.M. Posts 2010 Profit of $4.7 Billion
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/25/business/25auto.html

DETROIT — General Motors, which nearly collapsed from the weight of its debts two years ago before reorganizing in a government-sponsored bankruptcy, said on Thursday that it earned $4.7 billion in 2010, the most in more than a decade.

14. rtsy

rtsy Member

Auto corporations endorse people who give them stolen money? Who knew?

15. RocketMan Tex

Stolen money? Please explain......

16. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Are you now driving a Chrysler or GM car?

17. RocketMan Tex

Ford :)

How about you?

18. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

How much bailout money did Ford take?

I drive a pre-bailout Chevy.

19. RocketMan Tex

Ford did not take any bail out money, but they did receive $5.9 billion in loans from the government to re-tool their plants to produce more fuel efficient cars.

Source

Do you have a point? Yet?

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I'll explain their little libertarian code word here in case you haven't heard this particular cutlitsm.

Taxes are theft as there no right to tax (i.e a democratic government has no right to take money from individuals who prefer not to pay) in the alternate universe of libertarianism.

The auto industry received tax money (doesn't matter if they paid it back) therefore it was stolen money.

Heymitch are you down with your bud rtsy on this ?

What do the books you cite tell you to think about this?