1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Austin] FunFunFunFest 2011

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsPimp, Oct 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

2. Showtyme11

Showtyme11 Member

Childish Gambino.

3. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Have my tickets. Most excited for Spoon, M83, Okkervil River, Danzig, Girls, and SLAYER

My schedule is looking something like this
    Friday- Fat Tony>Jim Ward>Cloud Nothings>Omar Souleyman>Yacht>The Thermals>The Oh Sees>Okkervil River>Murder City Devils>Danzig

Saturday- Keep Shelly in Athens>Purity Ring>Joe Lally>The Joy Formidable>Donald Glover>Dan Deacon>M83>Girls>Childish Gambino?>Lykke Li>Spoon

Sunday- Schmillion>OBN III's>Davila 666>Asobi Seksu>We Were Promised Jetpacks>Nobunny>Mates of State>Austra>Ted Leo and the Pharmacists>Architecture in Helsinki>Hum>Brian Posehn>SLAYER

Gonna try to fit Childish Gambino in on Saturday because of my mancrush on Donald Glover, but if I have a really good spot I may just stick around and keep it.

4. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Can't go, but for those going early Friday check out Tv Torso:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0xUq2kaUlgg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good guitar based "indie" rock

1 person likes this.
  5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Good riff, I liked it better when it was Pavement's "Here"

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

omar souleyman is a must see - saw him at antones a couple months ago and it was a par-tay! omar is the ultimate hypeman and his keyboard player is off da chain!

im just going on saturday - this was the day that had the most stuff i wanted to see. tinariwen, tuneyards, dan deacon and M83.

most excited for tinariwen - i love these dudes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WcqlOq1cjjc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nachbarFTW just got straight up indie-pwned!

1 person likes this.
  7. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I gotta work. Sucks. I'd LOVE to see Slayer again.

\m/ >_< \m/

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

TV Torso is the project of Matt Oliver (formerly the frontman of Sound Team). I was a big Sound Team fan before they called it quits a few years ago. I caught a show by TV Torso at this year's SXSW and I wasn't too impressed.

9. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I bought tickets to see Danzig play with Doyle and Slayer. Everything else is filler to how awesome these two bands will be.

10. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Hot Snakes
    Hum

Everything else.

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Checking out Russian Circles right now on the live stream at Pitchfork. Wish I was there tonight, but have to wait til tomorrow.

12. nickb492

**** Danzig. He was 30 minutes late and only played three Misfits songs, two with Doyle and then he blamed FFF because they shut his power off at 10. Slayer is my only savior.

But besides that Souleyman was pretty decent. Black Milk was meh. Car Stereo Wars was a bummer. But it was so damn early for a dance party.

The highlight of the day was Matt Bearden and Reggie Watts.
    Also got to chat with Matt for awhile and got to see the inside of Dale Dudley's balls. If anybody knows what I'm talking about you are awesome.

13. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Glen Danzig update from the inside (names withheld -- and this is a copy/paste, so please excuse the grammar):

The Danzig Douche lowdown , from my friend, X: Glen Danzig acts like a douche - no one is surprised...
    "Fun Fun Fun Fest Hi. I book the fest. Those that are hating could NOT be more wrong. Yes, someone has your money and ripped you off. His name is Glenn. Stop by his house in LA with some kitty litter in trade for your refund, but we still had to pay him and he didn't deserve it after what he pulled. Here is how it went down...check the timeline:
    -glenn flies in this morning and says he has a cold and doesn't want feel like playing the show. he demands french onion soup and vitamins brought to his hotel suite. he wants to soup now and wants it hot. we get it.
    -glenn says it's freezing in austin and he can't go on. says it's going to be 28 degrees tonight and he won't perform (keep in mind, it's currently 71 and sunny with a night forecast of maybe 50+). he says we have to move the show/festival inside if we want him to play (obviously, that's not possible).
    -we rent stage heaters (no other bands, public enemy, mcd, passion pit, etc need or want heaters on stage...it's warm up there and not cold out) for glenn per demand, as well as bring in an onsite doctor to make him happy and be there if his cold doesn't go away.
    -agents and managers assure us he's going to play now.
    -glenn's band/crew arrive before him in the afternoon and load gear. they said it all works, they get up the danzig banner, check lights, are happy.
    -glenn arrives at 7:45 (half hour before showtime, they go on at 8:15 exactly and have a 90 min set...park curfew by the city/police is 10pm sharp)...when he arrives, he says he's not going to play. says he doesn't like how the banners are hung on stage and doesn't like the lighting or stage size (all this was advanced in email and phone well in advance and the band/crew loaded in mid day and were happy with it and said it would work...stage wasn't small at all). he wouldn't leave his trailer to go look at the stage, though, so the lighting company drew up specs for him to look at of the stage lighting 50 feet from his trailer and brought it to him to look over and prove him wrong.
    -in the meantime, glenn's bodyguard gets pushy (literally) with murder city devils manager and tells them they can't have their friends watch MCD from stage and wants them to cut their set. kicks them off stage and gets physical with the band and stafff....oh, also danzig says he's just as big as slayer and slayer is playing a bigger stage on sunday and that's bull**** and wants to play the same stage slayer is playing...or won't play. makes him look bad.
    -it's now 8:15 and time for them to go on. the band is ready, corpse make ups done, guitars tunes. glenn says he's not playing and that it's too cold outside. he said big stages should have windscreen so wind can't blow on him from the side. the stage managers then goes and gets tarps and tarp the entire side of the stage so now wind will hit him.
    -it's now 8:40. we explain that it's cutting into the set and he's going to have cut the 90 min set if he doesn't play soon, as park curfew is 10. he says he doesn't feel like playing. says "i got a deathbug. if i go on stage and get sick, i'll die. i'm not getting sicker for this show" (NOTE: he totally looks and seems fine...no coughing, no paleness, no vomiting, just some balding and a gut, from what i can tell). we get the Dr and he says he can do a b12 shot or anything he needs if he feels bad...danzig says he only treats illnesses naturally, so won't do that. we finally get him to agree to play and have already informed his crew that it's only 60 mins (9pm at this point) and they start cutting some songs from the set list, so they can still do misfits, but obviously didn't cut enough.
    -they went on almost and hour late due to the HANDS DOWN biggest rock star moment we've ever dealt with and then he tries to start a riot and blames the fest, the city, the cops and everyone, but himself. goes backstage and tries to fight a few ppl and get in the van and leaves.
    the end....
    we're bummed to. we wanted to hear Skulls."

14. nickb492

I figured that's what happened. There is no way you don't know that they cut the power at 10. That was the biggest letdown since I had to suffer spitting up dirt from all the dust in the mosh pit. The only highlight was that he played Death Comes a Ripping. That was so awesome. I don't know how to feel though. I mean I love The Misfits and Danzig. But ****, that is heartbreaking to fans. I dislike Jerry Only's Misfits but at least he puts on a decent show and after the show is really nice and signs autographs.

15. Showtyme11

Showtyme11 Member

Whos at the festival right now?

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

People need to understand when they're talking about Danzig his temps are way skewed from the norm -- he spends so much time in hell that the wind chill kicks his ass every time.

71 degrees to a mortal is -436 to someone traveling from hell.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Btw - the Fest looked dead this year.

18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i went yesterday and lasted about 3 hours. i felt myself getting sick and congested from all the dirt blowing around so i got out of there before M83. in that short time i did see tinariwen, anarchy wrestling (awesomely entertaining), deadhorse (the real deadhorse, not the post-rock, monicker-stealing upstarts that landlord landry was into), tune-yards and dan deacon.

i did see omar souleyman on stream friday - the sexy sax man jammed w/ him for a bit too and it was actually pretty cool. he can play.

and what was up w/ the TSA-style pat-downs? ive never had to go through that at a show in austin and the only other time i can remember getting that level of search for a concert was public enemy/anthrax at the unicorn 20 years ago.

19. nickb492

Yesterday was really cool. Started off seeing Captured By Robots which was so ****ing crazy. It was a one man band with robots playing the rest of the instruments. It's like Show Biz Pizza on acid. The one band that stuck out was Youth Brigade. They put on a damn good show. Even met Brian Poeshn there. The only thing disappointing about yesterday was Rakim. Apparently he broke his foot and couldn't play.....The only thing that made up for it was laughing at how horrible Donald Glover is at rapping and how awesome Spoon is to see live. About to head back to the park for the final day and damn I'm so pumped to see Slayer.

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Remember the 30 seconds of noise during that public enemy show for Redd Foxx who had just died?