1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ATTN tinman: Walgreens executive says ‘maybe we cried too much last year’ about theft

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Jan 6, 2023.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

astros123, FranchiseBlade and adoo like this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

They targeted the right stores to close. Square business.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I get it
    The d&d encourages shoplifting
    And
    Don’t even live in the cities that they want shoplifting to thrive

ROXRAN and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I will review the situation in SF for a few days next week.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Make sure you spend all your time in the most blighted areas where people who live here rarely venture, like Union Square, the mausoleum of mid-20th-century shopping habits. ;)

Seriously, enjoy your visit! The eastern edge of the city, along the Bay, has really enjoyed some impressive development, from the ferry building to the baseball park, on to Warriors new arena, but further on to Crane Cove as well. If it's not raining (unlikely, sad to say), you might really enjoy a long walk in that area, given the chance.

For a nice off-grid-but-close-enough-to-downtown restaurant experience, I recommend The Morris.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Go to the tenderloin.
    Also tell me how much commercial space is available for lease

after the d&d tour
    Go to dragon beaux or rich table and enjoy that you aren’t a cheap non contributing member who never travels

7. tinman

Supporting Member

8. tinman

Supporting Member

9. Salvy

Salvy Member

I thought Target liked and embraced the woke.... Why not stay and let the criminals continue to steal from them, they are rich...

10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

The guy had a point that I think is valid, Costco and Sams charge a fee to shop there and for that you have to sign up, pay and give them your info and then when you walk in you have to present who you are, maybe that's what some of these stores need to do. The brazen stealing has to stop, it's almost become an event where you have these flashmobs showing up and ransacking the place. I also realize this is a tough crime to prosecute, the courts are already backed up with serious crimes and stealing a purse isn't exactly that serious when you compare it to other serious crimes. I think it's time to change the game, I like the pay for shop idea, and I am not opposed to increasing the consequences of shoplifting but in reality, its going to be hard to charge someone 5 years in prison for stealing a bottle of tide, an exaggeration I know but thinking how that would play out.

11. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

IMO Target likes everyone who has money and to do that you embrace EVERYONE, even the crazy maga folks. :cool:

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

There's a reason why pharmacists are walking out. Corporate greed with ceos getting high a$$ salaries while cutting down manpower to run a pharmacy safely.

Burnout rate in retail pharmacy is high bc of these greedy folks

Invisible Fan and cheke64 like this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It's happening everywhere. I know a mcdonalds store manager that refuses to replace old ass black grease because it cuts into his bonus.

I know big corporate hospital system that runs a dangerously high nurse to patient ratio to also make money.

Corporate greed is everywhere and they don't get punished.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

That's not the root problem.

The problem is complex but it's the combination of cultural, parental and criminal policy
    you can say it's economical, but it's not. these looters are targeting either items to resell or Air Jordans.

Remember when some American Youths tried this in China? This wasn't because they didn't have money to buy things.

I'm sure the people here who advocate for this 'culture' don't like this post. but it's true.
    Culture, parenting and policy.

China has very good shoplifting policy, I doubt they have issues with looters.

@ROXRAN
    @Salvy
    @AroundTheWorld

ROXRAN likes this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

Salvy likes this.
  16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If there's a Tiktok or YouTube of it then surely it's a common everyday occurrence. Actual data just isn't as accurate as selective Tiktok, Xeet, and YouTube posts.

Amiga and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Thomas Sowell is outspoken against popular culture promoted by hiphop celebrities.

Anyone who can't understand why former suburbanite Ja MoranT **** his season and possibly his career away is putting on PC blinders on how personally and societally destructive embodying that culture can be.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

@Salvy
    @ROXRAN

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've said it before.

Social media algorithms have created one of the most efficient ways for rapid radicalization.

Think of any group of humans and there exists a pipeline through social media algorithms that will confirm your hate for that group of people regardless of who that group is. It's universal. Any group. Jews, white people, New Yorkers, Armenians, Nigerians whatever the group is. A social media algorithm can confirm your biases against any group as it will spam you every single instance of a person from that group doing or saying something objectionable and it's just going to spam your feed

Same with narratives like crime

Amiga and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I can definitely verify this. A few months ago, on Twitter, I clicked a tweet about some right wing conspiracy theory.

Immediately after that, my “for you” Twitter feed turned into a steady stream of wacko nut job, unverified right wing crapola by random sources. The posts all “look” like news.

I know it’s nonsense because I am predisposed to caring about whether something is real and validating before believing. But the vast majority of people are not. A large number of people don’t give a crap about whether the posts are real. It just makes them feel good to be “right”, like a ha, I told you so you stupid sheep.

I’m pretty convinced that US society peaked sometime before the combo of (1) social media algorithms and (2) Donald Trump hit. We might advance economically but socially, this country is not coming back. Even after Trump, other terrible people will do the same thing, now that the path has been shown.

Amiga, fchowd0311 and FranchiseBlade like this.