1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Atlantic Monthly] The Humiliation of Aziz Ansari

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dairy Ashford, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

Apparently, everything.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I really hope that doesn’t happen.

Even though she didn’t have any qualms about violating the privacy of a famous person she felt mistreated her, that’s no reason to respond in kind. Revealing her identity serves no positive purpose. She was probably genuinely distressed over what happened, and it would be needlessly cruel to add to her distress.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I read her info is about to be released and yeah she is going to go through hell.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

was. just a joke

5. durvasa

I wonder who leaked it.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Probably one of her friends/acquaintances she told.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

There's actually every reason to respond in kind. People act with impunity in secret. Women, and men for that matter, that do these anonymous hit jobs on innocent people should have to face consequences.

R0ckets03 and SirIvyLeague like this.
  8. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

First off, is there a reason she's allowed to be anonymous?

Serious question, unaware of laws. If you're going to make a shitty attempt, own up to it. Her life is going to be real pathetic, she'll be known as the pathetic fame seeking slut she is.

SIL

9. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Agreed. She deserves what she's going to get--good or bad. She can still get @what though, @Mathrocker we have hope.

SIL

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That would be brutal and fitting for her echo chamber, but it shouldn't be too hard for certain people to dig into who shot photos for Aziz and match it with that blurred up photo. There's an #angrybro army with the time and will to pull that off.

I agree wholeheartedly that the line has to be drawn. I hope this incident is a learning moment for more effective communication and not to use the movement as a weapon of selective privilege instead of a tool to spotlight severe injustice.

Power is highly dynamic. It's a lot harder to gauge progress nowadays because movements, like modern feminism, span over generations and changes in meaning with each "wave". Fake news and "whatabboutisms" will also erode the stronger core principles. Whose to say power corrupts equally and a woman in charge undergoes similar abuses gone unnoticed (that's likely far off)?

It's troubling that our social fabric is loosening as things become artificially digital. We're more able to customize and commoditize each other that the work it takes to break out of these misunderstanding seem more painful and meaningful opportunities become more rare.

The biggest "crime" in her revenge article is that she felt Aziz was relationship celebrity material, whereas Aziz flirted on the lines of groupie and possibly more. That failure in meeting the other's expectations is something everyone encounters. It just seems like people are having a harder time dealing with that suckiness and learning to not to repeat it so they can get what they want.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think we also shouldn't forget that she called this "the worst night of my life", if her consensually exchanging oral sex with someone on a date only to regret it later was the worst night of her life.....I mean, I think we can say she's lived a pretty charmed life.

Deji McGever likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Great post . I think objectively , learning about and dissecting some of the things that you talked about is fascinating .

But actually being in it is scary and confusing. As a single , young guy who falls into the "nice guy/ not-assertive" category I have been told that I need to be more aggressive in pursuing women . Now this opposing force is popping up .

I want to stay true to my instincts , but I feel like even talking to women "when you aren't a Greek god" can somehow constitute sexual assault .... And even if proven innocent ( if it goes to court ) it can still ruin your reputation and work.

The digital dynamic plays a huge role in this .

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

At least he didn't grab her by the p***y though

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He kind of did, he just used his tongue.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think there is a difference between regret and sexual assault. This "victim" seems to be suffering from regret and not assault or harassment.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Just like Aziz, you aren't a mind reader. The average looking woman gets hit upon at least 50 times a week. If she can't handle a simple conversation where you're displaying genuine interest, then you are the least of her problems.

Boredom or non-interest is not sexual assault. I'm assuming you don't have rapey eyes or bring up topics a serial killer would love when you talk to the ladies. But clear intentions and occasional non-sexual contact would probably make even the most cold-hearted rbf chick's day, whether she admits it or not. That can be considered aggressive because it opens the chance for awkwardness and hurt feelings. Still not sexual assault though.

The only thing you can control is your attitude and your sense of humor over how we're all ridiculous but can't seem to forgive ourselves for being ridiculous.

#156 Invisible Fan, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  17. durvasa

Yes. Women are more vulnerable than men to online harassment. She should not be subjected to that, whatever we may think of her outing Ansari as she did. Two wrongs don’t make a right. Her mental health, quite possibly her physical safety, would be compromised.

18. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Agreed.

She should've taken that into consideration before she tried this ****.

SIL

19. durvasa

So let’s **** her over and put her life in danger for a bad decision? No.

20. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Life in danger? Lol.

Perfectly fine to defame and accuse a celebrity of noting yet attempt to wreck his life, and do so anonymously. But when it's time to get exposed, please don't be too hard on her.

White Knight. Keep it moving. You don't throw **** against the wall and not expect it to maybe bounce back and hit you upside the head. It didn't stick, it's going to smack her upside the head. Get over it.

She ****ing tried to leverage a serious issue and movement on a non-criminal, extremely petty whim. Especially, at the fascination of it all materializing around a celebrity to gain an even higher power and higher level of exposure.

Instead, it all backfired on her. That level of exposure will do her in. She needs to apologize first and foremost, there's no reason to go soft on this. Little boy Aziz could've been blackballed by society, for nothing.

SIL