1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Athletic] Stone: Comfortable with the roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Dec 21, 2023.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

While I don't disagree with putting this out there, he has to realize we need to address the glaring need for a proper sized back-up center right?

2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

With his history since being at the helm, I'm pretty sure we can all confidently say he doesn't know how to evaluate basketball talent and what the team needs.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I can comfortably say he is comfortable with not knowing what skillful and talented players can bring to the table.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I feel Stone is a diplomat and lawyer, he is very positive to find deals that benefits both teams and most likely the other teams a tad more than the Rockets.

Well, the next games will tell his lawyer behind that the team is again struggling with Defense and Bench depth.....

PeterKingX and Dredd like this.
  5. bmelo

bmelo Member

he will be fired sooner or later or stepping down to lesser role

6. cbass

cbass Member

All of the anti-Stone energy on Clutchfans right now is weird considering how the team has over performed so far this season. He seems to have knocked it out of the park with his offseason moves: hiring Udoka, signing FVV, Brooks, Holiday, and Uncle Jeff. Yeah, Landale sucks, but he is only a 1-yr guaranteed deal anyway.

I get that Stone hasn’t been perfect and, as of now, the Jalen Green pick seems like it was a mistake, but on the overall, the team is trending up and much improved.

Hard to come to any conclusion other than that we’re heading in the right direction.

I guess many posters here are just miserable people who like to piss and whine about everything. That seems to be the takeaway.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not have problems with your positive takes but essentially you take a litmus test of somewhat (if you are not familiar with it)

It is the final test to see if a candidate is up to the test or not.

You go with the problems and not with what has been achieved, that is the mindset of Ime Udoka and why he is always mad or not content.

This is because he is a winner.....you never get content.

Stone's problem has always been he makes a step forward and then a step backwards, and never seem to get off the ground enough to fly.....He is always hovering above ground for a few inches.

Plus he has always been an interview partner that says absolute nothing about what is going on.....

8. cbass

cbass Member

What step backward have we taken this year? We’re exponentially better than we were last year. It’s night and day.

Also how he is in interviews is completely and totally irrelevant to how he performs in his role as GM. I literally couldn’t care less about it.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So now you are complaining about fans that want the GM to be a Top GM and better and not settle for mediocrity?

Is that it? If so, then okay, then we are just not going to see eye to eye on many issues then. I am fine with that.

I also have never said he was useless, he just is not a Top GM in my eyes.

I am not a settler as a fan. Have a Nice holiday.

cml750 likes this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

11. cbass

cbass Member

What?

I literally never said that. You’re putting words in my mouth. That’s not cool.

You said he takes 1 step forward and then 1 step back, with no evidence backing up your assertion at all. I asked you to tell me how we have taken a step back this year, when we’re infinitely better and obviously ahead of schedule.

Rather than backing up your own claim and answering my question you pivoted and put words in my mouth.

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I said that as a figurative speech, of course he is not going backwards.......

He makes good decisions with hiring Ime and that was in part Fertitta's decision too......

But he does not provide the Coach who has gone to the Finals with a Playoff worthy bench roster.

You really think Aaron Holiday, Reggie Bullock, Jack Landale, Jeff Green are great names right now?

It means Stone is someone who is content with minimalism.....he does what his boss wants and then he settles down with what he has, chills until the next Fertitta intervention.

You need to go out more, bye, man.

13. WestendMassive

I'm also super fomfortable with this roster as it is

[​IMG]

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I dont see anything wrong with what he's saying here.

15. cbass

cbass Member

We aren’t contenders this year. We were never going to be contenders this year. If you thought we were gonna compete for a championship this season, that’s on you for having wildly unrealistic expectations. We are building methodically and organically, as we should. There is no rush.

I think Holiday and Jeff have already proven to be good contributors for us. I already said Landale sucks. Bullock, whatever, don’t care about him. Would prefer a better bench shooter, but I never expected us to fix all of our issues overnight, especially when all of our most important players are between 19-22 years old.

And yeah, I get that one step forward, one step back is a figure of speech but you literally cannot give me a single example of how we have taken a step back this year.

We are trending up - it’s extremely apparent. We are also not going to win the championship this year, and that’s okay.

TheMystery008, Carpe82 and Patience like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You really need to chill and let me leave my computer, dude.......have a nice week....darn it....it is a loss after all.

Everyone has other expectations.........look up minimalism......

17. cbass

cbass Member

Is English not your fist language?

You never address my points, you just speak parallel to me while taking personal shots at me about how I need to chill or get out more when you’re the one who replied to me in the first place and you post here relentlessly all day long.

Totally bizarre.

I made a basic point: we are obviously trending up. And you disagreed I guess? But then you never actually said why you disagree or backed up your own assertions.

Talking to you is like trying to shoot a moving target.

Also, I know what minimalism is, thanks.

18. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I’m also comfortable with the roster as-is for now, and here’s why:

1. We are already exceeding expectations in terms of wins and losses—even with one of our expected core pieces (two if we count Amen) not performing up to snuff so far.

2. It does seem to me like there’s chemistry building on this roster, we have a group of guys that seem to get along pretty well off the court and are playing better with each other on the court.

3. As many people here have already pointed out better than I could, any potential trade would have to be a significant upgrade in terms of performance ceiling, and it’s hard to see that trade materializing as of now.

4. From a strictly personal viewpoint, I would like to see our homegrown talent take the next steps up and vault us into contender status in the next few years. There’s something super cool about that.

5. I’m out of things to say but I wanted to wish y’all a happy holiday to you and your loved ones :D

Y2JT, Tato1971 and Patience like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yea, sorry about that, I have other matters to attend to.

Your takes have been addressed by other posters more than in abundance.

I have been disagreeing with Stone for 3-4 years now, this should not surprise you.

Your points look generic enough, I wish I can talk to but as I said your brain works another way, that's why we won't be agreeing, what's the point then.

I have posted a lot about his personality and him not being the best choice as GM, people have agreed before with that take.

Morey at least attempted to catch lightning in a bottle, Rafael is not even trying.

This has nothing to do with reading English well, but all to do with me thinking and typing very fast while I go about doing other stuff.

I find it fascinating that Americans have the elitist attitude that if you speak English well enough that should be considered the basis for any discussion.

#19 daywalker02, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Public statements dont mean a thing to me.

AroundTheWorld and Nook like this.