1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At the crossroads, it's time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Feb 6, 2019.

1. basketballholic

The young biff is you today. The old biff is you after our season is over.

I'm in the backseat.

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

New signature.

YOLO likes this.
  3. biff17

biff17 Member

So your whole case is betting that we will not win a championship and then you can claim that it was the reason you stated.

Seems legit.

4. basketballholic

Somebody's gotta go back in time to last year's formula. And we'll have to get a major injury from the Dubs. Make that happen biff and let's bet on the Rockets. You can do it..

(Don't even have the sense of humor to laugh at that vid. You take yourself way too seriously.)

5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If your goal is to actually have this reasonable discussion, you should probably cut down on your outrageous conclusions. I think you actually make a lot of good points, more than most people give you credit for, but then you draw such ridiculous conclusions, while acting so certain about them, that it undermines your points and turns people off from having a discussion with you. For example -

"If we want to win a championship, we need a team tailored to beat the warriors." That's fair, most posters are with you so far.

"The warriors are one of the best PnR defending teams in the league, especially Draymond, he really neutralizes a rim running PnR center." That's a good point, still with you.

"Instead of a PnR rim running dunker, we need a center who can shoot 3s, run pick n pop. We need to clear Draymond out of the paint." Hm, maybe, that's an interesting point. Not sure everyone agrees here, but it's certainly reasonable.

"And for those reasons, it is a top priority to trade Clint Capela for Thon Maker/Anthony Randolph/Nerlens Noel. If we do not make this trade, there is no chance we will EVER win a championship." This is where you lose people. Is it really necessary to include this last part? Is this really conducive to having a reasonable discussion?

6. biff17

biff17 Member

Just wave the white flag dude.

You are making no sense anymore.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  7. basketballholic

harold,

this thread that you are typing in was started by me in February of this year. Nowhere in there did I name Thon Maker. The Thon Maker trade suggestion was made in a different thread at a different point in time when Thon was in the draft in 2016 and would have 4 years on a rookie contract for us to develop and keep us out of the luxury tax that I knew we were going to be facing with Capela coming up on the end of his rookie deal last year. It was an opportunity for a reset, while replacing Capela with a free agent, and seeing what we could do with Maker. You don't freeze words and make them permanent with no consideration of time and what was going on at that moment in time. And worse yet, you don't then take written/stated words and apply them to a different point being made to come up with what you think is an outrageous conclusion.

You concocted the outrageous conclusion all by yourself. And this is an example of what many posters here do...unprofitably. And then they make outrageous claims after they cross thread and concoct erroneous outrageous conclusions.

I'm talking to you as a friend here. Because you are one of the few that tries to keep it real. And I appreciate what you are saying. And it was all accurate until you reached the end.

I made the case very clear for the trade for Thon Maker. And I subsequently showed you the conclusion of the matter....even with him being a bust, in the Maker thread. A trade or suggested trade is very rarely just about the two players. It's about the teams, the team's needs, and where the teams are at in terms of possible championship cycle, rebuild, etc., and where they are at in regards to the salary cap and the future salary cap.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

So actually go on record and predict that we'll lose to the Warriors, rather than just all this silly hinting about it.

9. basketballholic

Did long ago. And multiple times. Idiocy is thinking I'm hinting at it.

10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was just using it as an example, it's not specifically about Thon Maker. You still have your quote in your signature about Zhou Qi being a better defender than Capela, when he's not even in the NBA. Every thread where you talk about the rockets you are adamant that we have zero chance at winning, repeatedly with the "also-rans" bit. I think you could get a lot better discussions if you would cool off with the absolutes of calling us also-rans, saying we have zero chance, or claiming definitively that Capela is worse than players who can't even make the league. I think things like "would give us a better chance" or "we aren't the favorites" could go a long way if your goal is to get people to engage you in honest discussion.

Madmanmetz and naldodiaz like this.
  11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You're what's in the truck...
    [​IMG]

Lawlruschang likes this.
  12. basketballholic

I believe everything I write. I see no need to soft pedal it to this bunch.

13. basketballholic

Actually that's the mountain of you that think we're winning a championship this year. You're gonna be stink in a couple weeks.