1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At the crossroads, it's time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Feb 6, 2019.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Well, thanks for that, HP. Now I won't get anything accomplished today.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

holic is getting massacred out here...my goodness

he’s the type of the dude to start rooting for the Warriors with the hope that he can come on here and say he was right after a lifetime of L’s

Deuce, AroundTheWorld, YOLO and 3 others like this.
  3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Wow. You'd assume that he would abandon this trolling and move on

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If they only had Anthony Randolph they would be 3-0 against the Warriors this season.....oh, wait....

Deuce, harold bingo, Nook and 3 others like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Been saying for years that’s one of the main flaws of motion (vs Ball Control offenses) -- isolating the worst shooter, being another. No one listens, except peeps from the cornfields of Illinois and Indiana (like me), where Motion was invented. :)

But I did think most Rockets fans have been following this low TO trend of the Rockets, since about Jan 2018, and certainly after how we demonstrated it in the playoffs last year, v Minn, Utah and in our GSW Wins.

this year, below. it’s the advantage @basketballholic never addresses.

[​IMG]

#205 heypartner, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

right now it's looking like DEN or GS might be our easiest outs in the 1st round :D

heypartner likes this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

My only problem with drawing the Warriors in the first or second round and getting them out of the way would be that we might suffer a letdown in subsequent rounds.

8. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Here are all the teams (from memory) that knocked off the defending champions in their conference that got to the finals:
    '82 Sixers, '86 Rockets, '91 Bulls, '96 Sonics, '03 Spurs, '04 Lakers, '06 Mavs, '08 Lakers, '09 Magic, '11 Mavs, '12 Thunder

And all the teams that suffered a "letdown" before the finals:
    '00 Suns, '07 Bulls, '15 Clippers

Every team that failed to make the finals after defeating the champs did so by beating them in round 1 then getting slaughtered by either a 1 or 2 seed.

EDIT: added some more teams

#208 Swiss Roll, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    topfive likes this.
  9. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Actually, I think it would do the opposite. If they get to wait for the WCF they are ready and prepared. They just have to beat the Rockets. Regardless of whether the Rockets win or lose, the Rockets are in their heads. They know they lost the series last year. Our greater worry is can the Rockets become who they were last year in time. Last night showed us a glimpse that team still exists. We know it does and they have a duty to revive it. The Rockets won that series by embracing the team during all of those streaks that said "F**k it, we are playing every damn possession and winning every damn game and there is nothing you can do to stop us."

10. basketballholic

We're not that team any longer @durcasa. We do not have a 5 man that can switch effectively, defend the post effectively, and shoot the 3 to spread the court alongside PJ at the 4/5. What we have is pieces/parts. House is mediocre defending at the 4 and he's a defensive liability at the 5. Clint can't switch on to smalls effectively nor shoot. Faired can't defend the post. (I'm glad he can shoot though apparent.) You put both those guys out there against the Dubs death lineup and we're toast. And you know it. You're too smart not to know.

We currently DO NOT have the right small ball combination to deal with their death lineup.

Maybe Morey performs a miracle with the late season roster adds. I'm waiting to see those before I write us off as also-rans for this season.

#210 basketballholic, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  11. basketballholic

IF WE actually meet them in the playoffs without a significant roster upgrade here late in the season and they are healthy you will eat those words and be blaming bad officiating after they roll out the death lineup against us. We currently DO NOT have the defenders we need in our system to beat them.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not a bad problem to have. I think we can cope! LOL.

13. basketballholic

Yes they are solid additions. But neither player can contain length and size down low. They will be exploited.

14. basketballholic

You obviously know way more about dope than I do. (I knew this type retort was coming. Because I did check the spelling of the word because I knew I didn't know how to spell it. Decided to leave it to draw out the druggies.)

15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Name a player that Kevin Durant does not exploit down low.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Or maybe I just know more about spelling than you do.

And of course it wasn't an error on your part, which would be inconceivable. No, it was merely a clever trap to catch the stoners!

You're a joy, Holic. Never stop being you.

#216 topfive, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    NIKEstrad likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Jarrod Uthoff, Zhou Qi, Thon Maker, Anthony Randolph

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

That secret Durant stopper that b_allholic knows that no other NBA team knows about.

19. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

topfive likes this.
  20. basketballholic

1. Go look at least years regular season splits against the Warriors.

2. Then go look at the splits with the Warriors in the Western Conference Finals.

3. Compare this seasons regular season splits with last years regular season splits.

4. Look at the rest of our defensive data.

5. Extrapolate.

This current roster is not as good as last year's team. Nor will it be if we just add House.