1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AT&T U-Verse Internet Worth It?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tommyboy, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

So I can finally get U-verse internet here in my part of Pearland but want to check with others to see if it's worth it and if you actually see/experience faster speeds. I'm currently on AT&T DSL Pro which lists peak speeds of 3mbps but I usually get anywhere from 2 to 2.5 mbps. I'm thinking of going with the U-verse Max Internet with 12mbps for $30/mo. For those with U-verse now do you actually come even close to the listed peak speeds and is it worth it? I would primarily use the added speed to stream movies/music. Thanks for any advice!

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I was in the same situation, getting 2-2.5 Mbps with ATT DSL. With UVerse I'm getting at or near the promised speed. I just ran a test and it was 2.88 Mbps, so not bad.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I work with the people who answer the customer service calls for Uverse... you want me to ask them? :)

We can't even get it here in northern Kentucky, but we host the call center.

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Thanks Cannonball and Hayesfan for your replies!

@Cannonball - So you purchase the 3mbps U-verse internet and are getting pretty close to that right now? Do you ever experience any down time?

@Hayesfan - I'm sure if you ask the CSRs they'll speak very highly of the product they support but ask away if you wouldn't mind. And sorry to hear that you can't even get U-verse in your neck of the woods. I've been in Pearland since 2004 and I am just now able to get U-verse in my neighborhood so hopefully it'll reach you soon.

5. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

i have the 12 mb service and it rocks

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

If you can, get the higher MBPS... I mean, if you can afford it. We are a family of four and are satisfied with their 3mb/s downloads. Most people who download a lot will want more.

The customer service is top-notch and the signal almost never goes out. I've had problems because my equipment was one of the first in my neighborhood. They quickly fixed those with newer equipment.

I've had the service for a very long time. :cool: I highly recommend it.

7. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Defintely get the 12mbps. 2-3mbps won't cut it for HD-streaming.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

YW

I'll see if I can corner one of the reps tomorrow :) I know that a lot of their calls are unhappy people - cause you know it sucks to be without tv or internet... especially when something is on you really want to watch... like a Rockets game is on - but since we can't get it here I would think they are able to be pretty unbiased about it.

I am happy with my directv right now... though I could do with a cheaper price... though I will probably try U-Verse if they can package internet/tv and I can still get my League Pass when it gets here.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't think I've had a problem with the internet service.

I had a problem with one DVR/Receiver and they had to send a guy out. Then they tried to bill me for the house call and I had to fight that. Also, early on, I missed a bill and didn't realize it and they shut of my service and it was a $30 reconnection fee for each service (TV, internet, and phone). $90 total.

So that stuff sucks but as far as the actual service being consistent and reliable, it's all been good other than that hardware failure. And with the internet, I've never had to mess with it. My old DSL was always giving me blinking red lights and I was having to reset the modem fairly often and I haven't to do bother with any of that with the Uverse.

10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

[​IMG]

Not in Texas, but you definitely get what you pay for; this is my benchmark for San Diego ATT U-Verse Max (12Mb Down), using the included wireless-g modem.

No complaints thus far, and you also get an increase in your monthly data cap whenever it's implemented.

11. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

i still run on 768 kb/s smh...

12. Prince

Prince Member

but sometimes uverse cheats... here's my current reading..

[​IMG]

i'm paying for the 12mbps.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

eh i have u-verse 12mbps...and the pages load a lot less snappier than when i had comcast.

i mean it's fast, but not what i expected with 12mbps.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

15. gatsby

gatsby Member

16. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

U-verse is fast enough and gets you close to what they promise bandwidth-wise, however for me it's inconsistent. Like there is static on the line or something. After many call and tech visits, they haven't found anything.

Plus the whole data cap/usage thing is annoying. At least they haven't gotten the uverse cap working so right now its still unlimited.

http://www.att.com/esupport/internet/usage.jsp#fbid=ZWXRALskMG3

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

ya sometimes it's fast. but i am just judging by the overall responsiveness from different pages.

i dont think it's my computer either because it didn't do that with comcast.

core i7 with 6gb ram and an intel ssd.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The problem won't be with your connection in the house...it will be at the box somewhere down the street from you. When they hook up new customers, sometimes they have too many feeding off the same line...they call this a "tap break."

We've had this happen to us 3 times since we've been with Uverse. They fix the problem....but a year or so later it will start up again.

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Thanks to all who responded and provided your experience with U-verse. I'll most likely go with at least the 12mbps option and see what kind of real world speeds I get. I'm assuming I'll need to replace my DSL modem with something else or is it still usable?

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

they will give you a new modem.