1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Update: Bautista, Cruz Jr., Winn, Burnitz, Byrd, Estes

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NIKEstrad, Jan 11, 2005.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I dont think its been stated what the asking price for Soriano is. At this point, its all speculation. I could be completely wrong. In any case, Purpura has mentioned that we have a lot of pitching prospects that teams are interested in. He didnt mention names, but he did say that we are deep in that position.

If it takes Burke and some random prospect for Soriano, I do the deal in a heartbeat. If Backe has to be included, then scratch it. I think Texas is more interested in reducing payroll by getting rid of Soriano, so their asking price may not be equivalent to Soriano's actual worth.

As far as Winn is concerned, I dont think it would take much to get him.

Everything is speculation at this point, however, I think it is quite feasible to end up with both Soriano and Winn, without depleting our whole minor league system.

2. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

4. RocketFan007

You have no idea what the Astros management have planned yet you continue to post the same thing over and over again. It's really starting to get old.

5. NJRocket

give me a morsel of a reason why i should think they are doing nothing but sitting around with their collective thumbs up their asses saying to themsleves "what now?"

6. RocketFan007

Give me a reason why you think they're sitting around doing nothing. You've given them about 48 hours to make a move after they lost out on Beltran. I'd actually be a little worried if they had already done something. I'd rather them sit back and make sure the next move is the RIGHT move. We're not probably not going to contend this season, so there's no need to mortage our future just to make a move. We all know how you feel on the issue, there's no reason to repeat it everytime a little news breaks.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

How well could Delgado play the OF? He couldn't be worse than Biggio (no offense Craig)...

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You did see that the article was from December 7, no?

Art- The answer is not really. He's a big time free agent, and he's going to be a 1B or DH. Delgado actually came through the minors as a catcher, and also spent some time in the OF his first couple years- a total of 58 games there. He hasn't played the OF in 10 years, and at 32 is much more of a lumbering slugger- he hasn't stolen a base in 3 years.

#28 NIKEstrad, Jan 11, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  9. NJRocket

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/hou/news/hou_news.jsp?ymd=20050110&content_id=929525&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp

HOUSTON -- During the Winter Meetings, the Astros and Rangers had a brief meeting regarding a possible trade involving Texas second baseman Alfonso Soriano. The Astros asked to table the conversations until after the Carlos Beltran saga ended. Now that Beltran has gone elsewhere, it appears the Soriano talks may resume.
    According to a Fort Worth Star-Telegram report, the Rangers may be willing to part with Soriano for starting pitcher Brandon Backe. But the Astros are not likely to trade the right-hander, considering Roger Clemens may decide to retire.

Astros second-base prospect Chris Burke might not be off-limits, and the Astros also have a number of pitching prospects who could factor into a trade.

The question is, with so many holes in the outfield, do the Astros need a second baseman? Burke, a former No. 1 draft pick, was set to compete for the the starting job this spring, and the Astros also have second-baseman-turned-outfielder Craig Biggio available.

But Soriano, who hit 280 with 32 doubles, 28 homers and 91 RBIs over 145 games for the Rangers last year, could provide a healthy bat in the meat of the lineup, something the Astros are in dire need of after losing Jeff Kent and Beltran this winter. The 29-year-old Soriano has said publicly in the past that he does not want to play in the outfield.

While the Astros were highly disappointed after the Beltran negotiations fell through, general manager Tim Purpura, who declined to comment on the club's interest in Soriano, was optimistic about the tremendous payroll flexibility the Astros now have. Even factoring in the large sums that are about to heaped upon Lance Berkman and Roy Oswalt -- and, possibly, Clemens -- the Astros still have money to spend.

"In terms of who's out there right now via trade or free agency, we'll have to see what works for us right now," Purpura said. "If there's not anyone, Spring Training will always bring opportunities. And even if we go into the season without a huge move, (owner) Drayton (McLane) has said, 'Come June or July, if we're competitive, we've got great capacity to add.' "

10. NJRocket

Some plan B

11. NJRocket

Well, I guess we wont have to worry about that...but thanks for offering.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

NJ, you're cracking me up dude.

I still dont agree with you about this though. ;)

13. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

14. RocketFan007

NJRocket, what would you like the Astros to do? As I said earlier, we're not likely to contend this season, and I don't think there is a deal out there that will make us a contender. So this is the perfect oppurtunity to see what guys like Burke and Lane can do, and see if they're players.

15. NJRocket

Good question....I really don't know. I know what i wanted them to do last week...but that's irrelevant now. I have been a die hard fan since 1978 when I was 9 years old. I still have an Enos Cabell foul ball that I got at the dome. When I moved to NJ, I lived for the day that Directv came out with MLB extra innings so I could watch games again on a regular basis. I bought season tickets 2 years ago even though it cost extra money and although I didnt go to many games while I still lived in NJ, i was ok with it because if I ever moved back, I'd have them.

Now I have them and I got to taste baseball in Houston in October. I've been a loyal fan and I guess I want a little loylty back. I want the team fixed....and I want it fixed now. The sun will come up tomorrow with or without Beltran...and yes there are plenty of unfortunate events going on right now in the world that make Beltrangate look like a pimple on a bulls ass...but as a die hard fan for 20 friggin years, I want to compete like we did last year...and maybe see us play in and win the World Series....even if it costs extra money

16. NJRocket

its all good

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I think that has always been Drayton's intention. I've been on record stating that we should of passed on Beltran. I have always thought that we were going to either pay too much for Beltran or Beltran would sign elsewhere without us being able to sign any other premier FA. We should of signed him earlier or we should of walked! Drayton knew what he was doing.

18. RocketFan007

I'm right there with you, but as I said is there a move out there right now that will put us at that level again? I don't think so. And as much as I want to compete now, it's not worth mortaging the future in hopes of one last run.

19. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Ok you guys are going to think I'm crazy, but how about signing Rickey Henderson to a 1 yr contract? Believe it or not the guy stole 37 bases in the minors last season. I know his major league average the last few seasons has been terrible, but look at his OBP. We are so desperate for outfielders we are looking to trade real prospects for scrubs like Cruz Jr. and Winn. Why not just sign Rickey for a mil and half and see if he can still walk his way to first base. I know its crazy, but think about it. There is not much to lose here. 80 yr old Henderson>Palmeiro

Oh yeah stats here.

Even with a .220-.230 Ba he can still maintain a .360 obp. This is better than Biggio. Also when considering his .208 ba with LA in 2003, remember that LA had a horrendous offense that season with no protection anywhere in the lineup.

#39 Xenon, Jan 12, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  20. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Heard on 610 that the Astros have invited Turk Wendell to spring training