1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Update: Bautista, Cruz Jr., Winn, Burnitz, Byrd, Estes

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NIKEstrad, Jan 11, 2005.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On Bautista, Cruz Jr., Winn, and Byrd

TAMPA - The Devil Rays' pursuit of free-agent outfielder Danny Bautista could be affected by the Astros' fail- ure to re-sign All-Star center fielder Carlos Beltran.

Tampa Bay has a contract offer on the table for Bautista, who would come in as a temporary replacement for injured Rocco Baldelli, who is expected to miss at least the first two months of the season after undergoing reconstructive surgery on his left knee.

The offer to Bautista is believed to be similar to the contract signed last week by new Rays third baseman Alex Gonzalez (one year, $1.75 million).

The Astros also are believed to be interested in signing Bautista to add outfield depth. In addition to losing Beltran to the Mets, Houston will be without Lance Berkman (knee) until May at the earliest.

The Astros also reportedly have discussed trades involving Rays right fielder Jose Cruz Jr., Mariners (and former Rays) outfielder Randy Winn and Phillies outfielder Marlon Byrd.

The Rays likely wouldn't part with Cruz (who is scheduled to make $4 million in 2005) for less than a starting outfielder (Houston's Jason Lane?) and a pitching prospect.

I probably wouldn't want to trade Lane for Cruz straight up, especially if we were footing the bill for Cruz. Much less throw in a prospect.

Bautista hit .286 with 11 HRs last year, probably his best season. Pretty lukewarm numbers imo. He'll be 33 when the season starts. He's listed as a RF; his SB numbers don't indicate him to have the speed to play CF.

Byrd is a 27 year old CFer coming off a horrible season. ..228 BA, 287 OBP. He hit .303 with a .366 OBP the year before. He's a pretty speedy defensive player if memory serves, but hasn't displayed much power in his career- 20 XBH in 346 ABs this past year. For comparison's sake, Adam Everett had 25 XBH in 384 ABs.

I won't go over Randy Winn- he's a speedy, leadoff CF type with serviceable power (14 HR this year).

On Jeromy Burnitz (and Estes

Houston, after losing outfielder Carlos Beltran, remains a slight favorite to land Burnitz, who has indicated he would like to play center field. Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh and the Chicago Cubs also are interested.

"Best that I can tell you is that we should have something done by the end of the week," agent Howard Simon said of Burnitz, who hit 37 home runs last season.

Coors inflated or not, 37 HR, 110 RBI is rock solid. Very interesting that Burnitz wants to play CF- he's been a corner OF most of his career, and has a pretty good arm. The article mentions Estes, a rumored Astros target, signed for one year, 2.5 mill.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

so would i

This is some Plan B we had!

Marlon Byrd can't hit his weight. Estes is a disaster. Burnitz couldn't negotiate a speed bump...let alone Tal's Hill.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

No, its not. .244, 14, 42 are his road numbers, and he strikes out alot. He's also 35. He actually split time between LF and CF last year in Coors, and did OK in center. But the Rockies declining a 3m option on him means that they, evidently, aren't fooled by the 37 Coors-assisted homers into believing he's a good everyday player.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

In other words, we're screwed...To think after rehab Berkman will be 100%...give me a break...It'll take time for him to get back to his form...

It's going to be a long season...:(

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

What a said list.... and just say no to Marlon Byrd!!!!

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Out of all of them, I would take a chance on either Burnitz or Bautista. Bautista can hit for average and is a good defender. He has had some injury problems over the years and has yet to really play a full season. He would be good off the bench once Berkman is ready. I liken him to a better version of Orlando Palmeiro.

Burnitz is a local guy (Conroe) and would also be a good addition. He would be a good power hitter. He strikes out a lot and his numbers from last year were definitely Coors Field inflated. That said, he wants to play center and would add some depth. If it means keeping Palmeiro out of the lineup, then I'm all for it.

7. leroy

BTW, it was a mutual option and the Rockies said all along that they were going with a youth movement.

8. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

And wasn't Estes the one that stole that police bicycle a few years ago?

9. NJRocket

Oooh...pinch me...i must be dreaming. There's a one way ticket to the playoffs

If we were fielding a mens slow pitch softball team, I'd agree. He could then go to Little Woodrow's after the games and brag how he hit three homeruns and threw 2 guys out against Consolidated Plumbers.:rolleyes:

10. leroy

Are you now just being a jackass because I disagree with you?

The Astros didn't get Beltran. Get over it and move on. If you are so pissed about it, go become a Mets fan.

11. NJRocket

pipe down leo...if you don;t like my opinions, then place me on ignore....and if you are going to be sensitive to anyone who responds to your post, try the bbs for peace and tranquility

12. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

It's not like Burnitz came out of nowhere- he's always been a fine power hitter. He has hit 30+ HR for 6 out of the last 7 years.

For grins and giggles-

In 78 road games, Burnitz hit .244, 13 HR, 42 RBI in 270 AB with an OBP of .327, a SLG of .448, 67 Ks.

In 78 home games (KC+Houston), Beltran hit .225, 15 HR, 41 RBI in 284 AB with an OBP of .315, a SLG of .458, 49 Ks.

I'm not trying to say Burnitz is anywhere near Beltran's equal, just that as bad as Burnitz was on the road, Beltran was his equal at home- and most people here wouldn't have blinked at paying Carlos 15+ mill a year.

He's not Beltran, but if we can get Burnitz for one year, 2.5 mill or so as the stop gap until Taveras can take over, what does it hurt? You'd rather get Danny Bautista for 1.75 mill like the D-Rays are talking?

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The difference being, of course, that the Coors Field effect is a documented phenomenon that affects pretty much any player with some power who plays there, and what you're talking about with Beltran isn't. Numbers in Denver just aren't the same, period, as they are at ground level.

Bautista sucks. Burnitz is just below average. It's like making me decide between George W. Bush and John Kerry for president - I don't really like either choice. Forced to decide, I'd pick Burnitz, but only because I shudder thinking about Orlando Palmeiro as a starter. I think Burnitz could hit .250, 30, 100 given a full-time gig in Houston, which at least looks good on paper.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Just go get Soriano and Winn. Thats doable.

Lets not waste our times with these other players.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd like that.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I too shudder about Palmeiro as a starting OFer. if the 'stros don't pick up a regular outfielder to replace Beltran i would rather see Taveras in CF. After all, if Taveras isn't ready to hit this year, starting Orlando would mean Taveras would be called on a lot to PH (after Lamb or Enserg?), no? That would seem as bad for his development as throwing him out there...

17. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

SC- I think .250, 30, 100 would be fair, and hold out hope that maybe Burnitz hits closer to .270. If you can get that production out of a 1 year, 2.5 mill deal, I don't see why you wouldn't. That's a fairly ideal stop gap before Taveras is handed the keys to CF.

rez- How? The asking price for Soriano is Backe and Burke. Our pitching is pretty sparse as it is. You don't want Hernandez, Redding, Duckworth to be our 3, 4, 5 do you? As for Winn, I have no idea what Seattle would want for him. Most likely a good pitching prospect, like Buchholz.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not that I really care for the Astros to get Burnitz, but studies have shown that road numbers for Rockies players are generally deflated compared to a hitter's ability. Coors field really messes up a player's hitting because of the huge contrast between the way the ball travel at home and away.

I think Burnitz is good enough for .270 BA and maybe 20-30 HRs(depending on how well he uses MMP). And probably worth a decent one year deal. For 2006, we need to take stock of Lane's ability and Taveras' development before making any major decisons regarding the outfield.

19. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Estes is off to Arizona, so you can take him off the list.

I'd give Burnitz a one year deal, as NIKEstrad said, even if he hits like he did away from Coors this season, you've still got .250 25 homers and 90 RBI. I'd say those numbers are good enough for a one year deal.

20. right1

right1 Member

Should we go after Sosa? He had a falling out with Chicago... so what? He does a lot for the community and adds excitement, corked bat or not. What if he put up .300 45 HR 120 RBI for the 'Stros? It would be classic if we beat out the Cubs and Mets and went to the World Series with Sosa in an Astros uniform.