1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

My thoughts right now are we go for a top closer or top reliever. With all the SP guys starting to come back, a MOR SP isnt that helpful any more. We have plenty of depth already in second tier pitching options. Only a top guy IMO will move the needle.

Commodore likes this.
  2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

agree with this strategy. you either target a ToR type starter or elite reliever. seeing as the market for ToR starters is quite limited i
    agree with this strategy. you either target a ToR type starter or elite reliever. seeing as the market for ToR starters is quite limited i think the focus turns to elite bullpen help.

that said, if we were to pull off a move for a samrajzida-type starter i'd trust lunhow and his team to see something of considerable value.

3. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Why not? They're going to give him up to someone, and they're already out of this year's race. If we wind up winning the WS with his help, how does that negatively impact the Rangers? A trade to us would actually help them...we would help to improve their talent level with the prospects we send, and it hurts our long-term talent level for a one-season rental.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It'll be fluid in the playoffs; what Britton allows is the flexibility to "close" the game in the 7th if it's close and the opponent is threatening or has tough stretch of line-up due. IOW, fans need to stop worrying about labels. If the Astros have healthy Devo, Harris, Britton and Giles, they essentially have the ability to "close" 5th-9th innings in whatever order Hinch chooses.

But in terms of specifically closing out the 9th inning... yeah, unless Giles runs into a ditch and falters, that'll be his job the rest of this year.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Which would piss you off more: Keuchel helping the Rangers win the World Series or your GM compromising your team's future because, "Whah! Dallas!"? Getting prospects on the scale of Tucker + Whitley for my pending FA pitcher when we're 700 games out of first place would greatly soothe any wounds Keuchel might inflict.

GMs are not fans; it's not emotional for them. As you said, "best offer is best offer."

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

GMs are emotional, though most stay rational when decision making . Billy Beane, one of the more rational GMs (usually), can throw a temper tantrum with the best of them.

7. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Yu Darvish is overrated. Knowledgeable Rangers fans can't stand him up here (there are very few but they do exist). He thinks the world of himself but never produces when it matters. He will command a big salary for the next several years and I want nothing to do with him. I don't think Nolan Ryan thought very fondly of him which may be one of the reasons Ryan "quit". The organization and him did not see eye to eye on Yu Darvish.

He throws what he wants (mostly sliders) instead of what the catcher is asking him to throw. Waives off way too many pitches. Wants to throw fancy pitches that aren't effective instead of a 94 mph fastball on the edge.

8. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I just can't see the Astros willing to pay the Rangers' price for 15 starts of Darvish, plus the playoffs. He's not going to come cheap, as it makes no sense for the Rangers to get pennies on the dollar for him. At that point, it would be better for them to keep him, and make a final push for him this year, as they aren't terribly out of the Wild Card race, and risk losing him for nothing in the offseason. For example, even Yordan Alvarez for a pure rental like Darvish would hurt.

I rather pay more and get Gray for this season plus the next two. I would think that is the front office's strong preference as well.

9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Scouting by Jake
    [​IMG]

10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Incorrect. if Britton returns to top form, it would be his job. Britton's best is better than Giles' best. So if they were both top form, there is no argument. Britton is a better closer.

#1470 T for 3, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He could be the difference between winning and losing the world series.

12. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Sure, but so could Sonny Gray, who again, we would have for an additional two years.

Gray is 27, Darvish is 30.

Gray would be an Astro for the rest of this year (playoffs included), all of 2018 (playoffs included), and all of 2019 (playoffs included).
    Darvish would be an Astro for the rest of this year (playoffs included)

Gray is way cheaper as well.

Lastly, look at their last 5 or 10 starts. Gray has been better. So if we look at these options in a tunnel, and simply ask "who improves our chances to win it all just this year, in 2017," the answer is still Gray.

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I would opt for Gray over Darvish -- don't like the idea of sending a prospect haul to Texas for three (3) months of a pitcher notorious for being injured.

14. msn

msn Member

Darvish is brittle. Why on earth would we trade for that guy? I can remember, off the top of my head, at least two years where the Rangers did without him for most of the season.

Oft-injured 30-year-old. If the Rangers want a lower A benchwarmer for him, then maybe. If they throw in a six-pack and one of these, autographed:
    [​IMG]

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All those veto'ing any possible trade for Darvish....

How would you feel if the Indians or Red Sox acquired him?

He has typically pitched the Astros tough, when healthy. If the Astros aren't going to get him, I'm not going to be thrilled if he goes to another contender.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Darvish will get traded to the Brewers, who the Astros will meet in the World Series.

Darvish will throw a gem in Game 1...tied 0-0, Darvish will be working on a no-hitter going into the bottom of the 9th inning, before Marwin Gonzalez jerks one out down the rightfield line. Astros win thanks to Marwin the Darvish Killer.

Yaosthirdleg and Nook like this.
  17. AnHero

AnHero Member

I just don't see the Rangers trading Yu Darvish to us unless we give them the farm.

18. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I wouldn't be against a Darvish trade at all - depending on the prospect cost. My position is mainly that I feel Sonny Gray provides a better immediate and long-term improvement over Darvish.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Bob Nightengale on High Heat (MLB Network) just said Houston wasn't that interested in Sonny Gray...says Houston would love to get Darvish, but doubted Rangers would trade him in the division. Also says Astros have kicked tires on Verlander.

20. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

That leads me to believe we're going all in on Gray. This front office plays so close to vest, I put a lot of skepticism with any "insider" statements like these.