1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

No ****. That's a guy I'd trade heavy parts of the farm for.

dockerland and eric.81 like this.
  2. the shark

the shark Member

De Grom has three more yrs of arbitration after this yr.

Crazier things have happened but I can't see the Mets trading him.

3. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I'm really having a hard time rationalizing how they could, consider how cost-effective he is right now. His stuff is ace-level.

4. Buck Turgidson

He's also the only healthy starter they have.

something something...Verducci's ass...something something

eric.81 likes this.
  5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Yeah... too good to be true. Have any realistic options besides the usual suspects (Cole, Quintana, Gray) popped up lately?

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm sure Luhnow called the Mets and asked about DeGrom, and I'm sure the Mets told him to **** off. It's just the circle of life.

kaleidosky likes this.
  7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Looking at the potential sellers and I have decided that a mega deal with Detroit is a possibility and might be our best option.

Verlander, Martinez, Wilson would be an amazing haul and fill all of our needs perfectly. It'd take a big chunk out of the system but you have to go for it when you have the chance.

IslandB.O.I. likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Verlander is owned 93 million dollars over the next 3 years with an era of 4.5 and is 34 years old.

Martinez is going to be a free agent.

Wilson has 2 arbitration eligible years.

I am not sure I would give up much.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  10. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Not going to happen, Luhnow too smart to get schooled by Detroit like that.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'd take Fulmer over Verlander and Martinez has been diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat, I hope he's okay, but I would stay away from that since it could develop into something that causes him to miss a considerable amount of time ala Chris Bosh with the blood clots deal.

Wilson is ok as well. Not sure if I want any of their relief arms unless you trade for Fulmer and Verlander but place Verlander in a late inning relief role for the remainder of the season.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

NY would still have Thor, Wheeler, Matz, Gsellman, Harvey, and Lugo under control next year, plus whoever they get in exchange for DeGrom (Martes and Paulino in this case). With Smith coming up to replace Duda and Rosario ready to take over at SS, they could build a long term core around all those guys plus Cespedes Lagares and Conforto, only needing to add complementary pieces at 2B and 3B (with Moran filling that hole in this hypothetical).

They are going to sell, but their pending FA won't bring back squat. If they really want to own the NL East and compete with the Nats, they need to make a big move to align their competitive window.

13. the shark

the shark Member

Fulmer would be a HUGE get, however he's under contract next yr followed by four more yrs of arbitration. Damn good pitcher with a bright future. Don't see the Tigers giving him up.

14. KeuchelForPresident

Some speculation on Mets moves over at mlbtraderumors

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/06/mets-ready-to-listen-to-offers-on-short-term-veterans.html

That article mentions the Mets possibly asking for players at 1B and 3B. In any DeGrom talks, I could imagine Bregman, Moran, White, Kemp, Reed (Gurriel?) getting involved in the discussion alongside Martes, Perez, and a couple of the other pitchers.. Probably dreaming here but why not...

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't think anyone would argue DeGrom is more valuable than Chris Sale was when he was traded. So if you compare the package Boston gave up to Houstons prospects, yes, it probably means Tucker and Martes are both involved, along with 2 prospects from the next tier. But I don't think it would mean Bregman would be talked about.

16. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

If we're talking about the Mets, how about something smaller like Jerry Blevins as a LOOGY?

17. KeuchelForPresident

On one of the Mets fans sites, it seems the majority sentiment is in favor of trading deGrom for Astros prospects.

They are proposing packages like Martes+KTuck+Paulino and Martes+KTuck+Whitley as fair exchange for deGrom. Of course the fans don't get to decide these things, but if the Mets FO is thinking along similar lines, I could see a deal possibly getting done in July that most Astros fans would be happy with.

18. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

It's hard to imagine the Astros saying no to either of those deals.

But honestly, I think any deal the Mets offer starts with Bregman.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Maybe Johnny Cueto? Rumor is that he's going to opt out of his contract after this season and the Giants are a complete s*** show this year. He hasn't been great this year but I could see a resurgence with a trade to a contender and he has solid playoff credentials. Considering he's going to opt out and isn't having his best season, he could potentially be gotten on the relatively cheap.

20. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

If we can keep Tucker I'd consider doing Bregman in the deal for DeGrom.