1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I mentioned the opted out as he doesn't have a future commitment past this season if the Astros didn't want to offer him arbitration. Being able to cut a player if he sucks or keep him at a reasonable rate is a plus-plus regarding contracts.

No team is going to trade a prospect at the level of Tucker/Whitley/Alvarez for Abreu. They were able to play hardball with Sale and Quintana, but Abreu is not them and does not have that amount of control left. When the deadline hits, they will have to decide to trade him at a reasonable cost or pay him a few million to win an extra game or two in a losing season.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. prospecthugger

He's a 3-4 win 1B. Unless he gets some sort of injury that puts his 2019 season in doubt, no one is going to nontender him, even if it costs over $15 million. The fact that they can is less meaningful than the salary difference between his original contract and his arbitration earnings. The fact that he's under control for next year gives the Sox the option to keep him if a team doesn't meet their asking price, and try to win with him next year.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sox can do that and they might do that. That said, it would not be wise as they would be putting value into likely losing seasons at the expense to their future.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Abreu will cost more than Beltre in trade.

For that reason I prefer Beltre. Also Beltre is a gold glove quality fielder.

Rentals at the deadline have not cost a terrible amount recently.

If Beltre can avoid the IR, he would be a massive upgrade to our lineup.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I spend 75% of my time living in Chicago now. The bigger sports reporters usually are pretty plugged in. They are pretty confident he will be traded.

Knowing his value is hard to calculate because he is a DH/1st baseman with an extra year available but not at a phenomenal price.

I would gladly take him for the middle of the line up the next two years at the right cost.

6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Which of you prefer. I doubt the rangers would wanna trade Beltre ro the Astros. But if they love him like they say they do and he wants to be on a contender like they say he does. Then I don't see why they wouldn't like to keep him in the state.

Abreu wouldn't be cheaper but would make a load of since. But the price would be much higher.

So you gotta look at it.
    Beltre and Diekman
    For
    Let's say J.D.Davis and Paulino plus a Salary dump like Tony Sipp.

Your telling me you wouldn't be on this trade?

Of course Beltre has to prove he is healthy. But Beltre playing Dh 3b and 1b would not be bad for the playoffs and the rest of the year.
    If you truly wanna make a couple of trades you really should look at Avisail Garcia Amir Gerratt and Raisel Iglesias
    Don't count out Zach Britton or a off the Waller in Cory Dickerson

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm not sure the price tag for Abreu would be that much more compared to Beltre. Unless we overpay I don't see the Rangers trading with us. Also, Beltre's glove means little in my opinion. I do not see the organization moving Bregman from 3rd base considering his play in the playoffs last year. Beltre would be the DH and for that role I would prefer Abreu. Every time Beltre would be running to 1st base we would be holding our breath hoping he doesn't pop the hammy again.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s hard to gauge what Abreu and Beltre would cost. The market for 1B/DH types is WAY down, so it’s hard to imagine Abreu bringing in a real haul. Certainly Whitley and Tucker would be off the table. And I wouldn’t want to give up Alvarez either. I would hope that 2-3 prospects from that big 2nd tier of grade 50 guys (Martes, Fisher, Paulino, Davis, Bukauskas, Straw, Armenteros, Rojas, Arauz, Nova, Matijevic, James, C Martin, P Sandoval, Cionel Perez, Solis, Toro) would get it done.

Beltre is even harder to guess because he’s currently hurt. Rental bats haven’t been terribly expensive in recent years. But Beltre is a hall of famer who can still play. I would think he’d cost 1-2 of the guys in the group above. I’d be fine with that provided Houston got to have some heavy say in which 2 guys.

I certainly think Houston has the prospects to do whatever they want. The problem is deciding if adding from outside is worth it if it comes at the expense of young internal options (Davis, Fisher, White, Tucker, etc.) and would mean cutting bait on a slumping player who has been good in the recent past (Gattis, Marisnick).

body slam likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not that it carries much weight, but in his mailbag today, MacT expresses doubt that Houston will trade for a position player, indicating that Tucker will be the major addition when he is called up later this season. I’m fine with that as I expect several players to round into form and for the offense to be fine. I suspect Houston will probably be in the market for a lockdown reliever (especially a lefty) if one comes available but will otherwise be standing pat at the deadline.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

Maybe it's just me, but I've never been a big McTaggart fan. His responses to fans come off as arrogant and patronizing. I don't know if his position has gone to his head, or if he legitimately thinks he's smarter than fans because of what he does, but he comes off as unprofessional more often than not.

I also take most of what he says with a grain of salt. He's like pancakes, just an outlet for the FO because he'll play nice. He has the quickest scoops re: call ups and whatnot, but when it comes to rumblings, the FO isn't going to leak Tags anything unless it's in their posturing advantage.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Stealing valuable young resources from a juggernaut division rival so they can have ~150 plate appearances from a 40-year old free-agent-to-be is the exact kind of whip-smart move a team like the Rangers SHOULD be considering.

BigMaloe, everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Right... but they aren't smart. They are a jealous bunch of babies that had their shot 2 times at the World Series and choked. They would rather not help us even if they got the better part of the deal.

13. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Again I would look at Corey Dickerson from the pirates
    Of/dh would be a cheaper alternative to Abreu or beltre.

I think the astros are gonna go Bullpen for sure and as said before I think Whitley and tucker are for sure off the table.

But a Alvarez for hand would be nice

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

This.

Beltre may help the Astros, but that has little concern to the Rangers if it provides potentially long term help to them.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I wouldn’t deal Alvarez for Hand. Alvarez is the Astros second best prospect.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I have seen quite a bit of Tucker the last 12 months. I wouldn’t count on him playing a big role with the Astros this season. The Astros have an elite scouting department but I really question the idea that the expect him to fill a starting spot on this team, this year.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. newAge_Rockets

McTaggart said for months that there was a 0% chance the Astros trade for Justin Verlander. He's good for the Astros' internal affairs, but not so good when it comes to free agency and trades.

18. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Brad hand to me would be the only person I would trade Alvarez for. Because of his contract and yes on his deal

But to me Cory Dickerson would be the ideal target due to the fact of he can play OF DH and 1B.

I repeat I see 2 relievers getting added. And I would not I repeat would not count out a surprise holy moly trade happening.

And before it gets further Gonzalez and Keuchal are as good as gone. I would not pay them what they think there worth.
    Keuchal looks like home made poo and Gonzalez should have been moved along time ago

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  19. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Why would a first place team trade its best hitter? I don't see him dealt unless the Bucs falter.

raining threes likes this.
  20. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Pittsburgh is in 4th in there division as we speak and 7th in the hole NL.
    They need help sure but not a 1st place team and are not buyers as of late seems to be sellers. Injurys are killing them.

Next
    It was just a thought to cover a stone.

Like this one
    I would get in touch with Coach Cora of the red Sox and see what I could do about Marwin Gonzalez
    For let's say Bobby Poyner and Ty Buttrey.

I'm sure alot of you guys love Marwin but I dont really and this would be perfect to dump him off and grab some of our young guys in the minors up or trade for someone.
    I dislike his contract to productivity rate and would never resign him.