1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade Hampton

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Francis3, Dec 23, 1999.

1. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Thats exactly what i want to know. WHy not trade Hampton for Griffey?!?!?

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Alou won't be going anywhere.Losing Carl and Hampy while only getting: sucks!At least we got rid of Bell's bloated salary
    Dotel...He's very young and will be a damn good pitcher for a long time...mid 90's fastball and a changeup taught to him by Pedro.
    Cedeno....an excellent centerfielder who when his hitting catches up with his fielding will be awesome
    A.Everett...our shortstop of the future...could be another Dickie Thon
    One high level pitching prospect
    One upper middle level pitcing prospect
    Both pitchers are 22
    ALL THIS BEING SAID,I AM APPALLED.OUR WINDOW TO WIN A SERIES ANYTIME SOON IS VERY SMALL AS IT WAS...NOW KISS IT GOODBYE.....DRAYTON IS NOW OFFICIALLY PERMANENTLT ON MY SH%& list.
    One more thing,we have a cool baseball bulletin board ,much like ours here over at the ASTROS homepage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. PhiSlammaJamma

The interesting thing here is that Biggio will now be batting second. His RBI's are about to skyrocket with Cedeno leading off.

However, look now at our 5th pitcher. Wade Miller? We are in big trouble. And Bogar at short. You got to be kidding me. I like Bogar, but he's like having another pitcher in the line up. Hampton was a better hitter than bogy. Adam Everett better move up quick.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited December 23, 1999).]

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

So the pitching rotation will be

1. Lima
    2. Reynolds
    3. Dotel
    4. Holt
    5. MILLER!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

One question i want to ask. Ok Wagner is a closer, but can he ever become a starting pitcher?

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Elarton moved into the rotation. So it's Holt versus Miller. Personally, I think Holt stinks and would rather try Miller. Anybone for that matter other than Holt.

I'm not as concerned as most because I think Bagwell alone gives us like 85 wins. However, to win a series we will need a pitcher to step up. Elarton must be the one. He's got to be more consistent.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

wagner started his career as a starter...he is basically a one pitch pitcher thus the move to the bullpen (you can only throw 97 mph for so long)..there is no way he will ever be moved to the rotation...he is way too valuable where he is...

if elarton is healthy the rotation is still solid PROVIDED that lima continue to pitch well...

i would look for them to add a veteran left hander to the staff to compete with holt...

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Guys if you look at the team now , we really have a great hitting and defensive team. We just got to pray that the pitchers do well.

8. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

1.roger cedeno
    2.craig biggio
    3.jeff bagwell
    4.moises alou
    5.ken caminiti
    6.daryl ward
    7.mitch mulusky
    8.adam everet/tim bogar
    9.pitcher

pitching rotation

1.jose lima
    2.shane reynolds
    3.octavio dotel
    4.scott elarton
    5.chris holt

bullpen:

billy wagner
    wade miler

9. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Also in the bullpen .. Jose Cabrera.

Astros have alot of money now. What do you think they will do? Trade for griffey and sign him to a big deal or something?

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Griffey will reject any trade not to Cincy. His dad is an assistant there.

Odd thing is the Mets were offering Cedeno, Dotel, and Cook for Griffey.

11. Rocket

Rocket Member

I think that this trade was all right considering the fact that Hampton wasn't going to sign a contract extension. The trade would have been better if they would have included another good pitcher. I had heard talks before for Hampton by himself for Yoshii, Dotel and some other pitcher. But getting Cedeno was pretty good too.

Why go after Griffey lets go after A-rod. He's is, one of the best shortstops in baseball and God knows we need a shortstop not another outfielder.

12. Ollie

Ollie Member

What's up Joe Joe... How's your holiday been? When we get back I'll trade you my Plant stuff for your Process stuff... BTW, What did you end up with in Analytical, and did you win your playoff game? I think I won, but I ended up with a freaking C in Analytical. When I get back, Shear is gonna hear it from me.

[This message has been edited by Ollie (edited December 23, 1999).]

13. No two way about it, this trade stinks, right now.

Almost as bad as the Everett deal.

You mean to tell me, with the new revenues sure to be made off of Enron (Ballpark at Union Station sounds way better) field, now the Astro's want to be mindful of money?

You mean to tell me, you trade away a complete 5 tool, all star caliber of a player. A cy young cabiber pitcher, who when he took the mound your team won 25 of 29 times. And you cant even get at least bonafide talent where the Astro's needed it most? Short stop, and Catching.

From what Ive read Everett is a light hitting defensive SS. Great, we now have Guity with even less ability at the plate, but with more D.

Houston's outfield was crowded to begin with, so you add a player to it, after you make tough decisions to let some of them go?????

So far the Astros gave away their most consistant hitter (yes more so than Biggio, or Bagwell), and a fine, fine outfielder. And what many believe was the Cy young winner last year, for unproven, hopes.

I heard Hunsiker saying how the last time the Astros dealt with the Sox they got Bagwell. And that he's hoping to pull it off again. Lets see your HOPING to pull off another once in a lifetime trade????

You mean to tell me a deal involving Everett (who is only getting better, and is young) and Hampy ( who is only getting better, and is young), and you couldnt wrangle at least a sure fire prospect, or a single proven player?

Pitiful.

14. Ollie

Ollie Member

Keeley-I know this doesn't belong here, but nonone would see it in the other forum.. You can delete/move it if you want.

The deal is supposedly Hampton and Bell (the only good part of the deal) for P Octavio Dotel, OF Roger Cedeno and a minor league prospect to be named later.

And to think I was really excited about our team next year. Now I'm just kinda excited.
    Here's the story from ESPN

15. Francis3

Francis3 Member

OHHH **** WHAT THE **** IS THST ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Francis3

Francis3 Member

sorry for the language but man come on why the hell did we trade hampton!

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Im gonna look at the bright side, Dotel is gonna be a great pitcher, and i think he has better stuff then hampton. but right now, the trade doesn't look so great.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

18. Ollie

Ollie Member

Francis3- We traded him because he was going to test the free agent market after next season. He said, through his agent, that he had no interest in discussing a contract extension with the Astros. We wanted to get something for him instead of losing him totally next year, since we probably couldn't afford him in today's market (Chuck Finley (in case you're wondering, he sucks) for a 3-year $27 MM contract) and stay within McLane's pre-determined budget.

19. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Yeah I understand but couldnt we get more players like steal one of their infielders or something. We are a young team now, are we in a rebuiliding process like the Rockets. HMMMM...

Darryl Ward is the Steve Francis
    Jeff Bagwell is Hakeem
    Caminiti is Barkley
    Biggio is anderson
    Lima is mobley
    Wagner is cato!!!!!!!!1
    Cedeno is Rogers

I hope this team is good.

20. Ollie

Ollie Member

Francis3- I wouldn't compare Biggio to Anderson. Although Biggio looks like he's pretty young, he was here before Bags. I'd switch Biggio to Hakeem and Bags to Anderson, (although Bags has way more skills)