1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't wild about the Astros taking on what would come with Osuna when they traded for him and don't think overall he's been worth it.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes this is on the Media and its on the Astros.

Yes, nobody has said the facts were wrong but there has been a lot of interpretation on the motivation of the facts from the media.

The facts are somebody yelled in the direction of a group of reporters, those are the facts.

BigM likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Really?

How has he not been worth it?

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's really not hard. The Astros make it hard.

mikol13, Fyreball and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  5. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

This is still a story to this day, bad PR hit, the organization being portrayed as tone deaf idiots, etc. Just not worth it. Isn't like he's been a shut down closer or anything, and even if he had, just hate this continuing to be a story.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed.

Either politely say you will investigate it after the WS or issue an apology and punish the transgressor.

This is all about tone deaf arrogance.

mikol13, Fyreball and jiggyfly like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So all of this would be fine if he was a shut down closer right?

Why do you care about a PR hit?

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Agree it was tone deaf, don't see the arrogance.

9. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said in my comment above, even if he had been shut down, still don't think it's been worth it. As a fan it sucks seeing an organization you cheer for being portrayed in the manner the Astros are being portrayed and I know it's an unwanted distraction for Hinch and the team at times.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you are taking this personally.

I have no idea why but you are a Rockets fan you should be used to it.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'll go ahead and respond even though you didn't quote me. I wasn't a fan of the trade when it happened, and I'm still not a fan of the trade today. He plays for my team, and I'll root for him purely because of that, but suffice it to say that I won't be crying any tears the day he leaves the Astros. I'd still feel the exact same about him whether he was lights out, or if he just continues to be what he is.

The reason why I care about the PR hit is because it's really ****ing annoying, and kind of shitty to have to read article after article, and comment after comment about how misogynistic and arrogant the front office of my favorite team is. It DOES take away from the luster of being in the World Series when every single comment is, "**** THE ASTROS....SEXIST PIGS". And the most frustrating aspect of that is they brought it on themselves. The comment, and the subsequent statement make it sound like we don't give a **** about DV and the impact it's had on professional sports. To outright call the reporter a liar is SUCH a horrid look for the team. I don't know Taubman from any random person on the streets, but in this situation, he's made the ENTIRE organization look like dogshit, and instead of distancing themselves from it, they've decided to jump into the mud pit with him.

We had the Gurriel issue in the last World Series, but the difference there is Yuli took personal responsibility for what he did, he didn't make excuses, and he manned up and took his lumps. The team supported him, but also showed respect towards Darvish. It blew over because of how the Astros (and Darvish, to his credit) handled the whole thing. This is the opposite of that, and it's pretty absurd why they thought this was the way to go.

Nook, Hey Now! and roxallways like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What is wrong with that? Are DV apologists that thin-skinned that it gets under their skin when Footer deleted her tweets about Osuna after getting yelled at by another DV apologist? Taubman is 100% responsible for his actions. If you want to blame actions leading up to his actions, the root cause was the Astros acquiring Osuna.

13. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know how you can equate this to the Rox situation. The Rox to my knowledge have never been portrayed as tone deaf in a matter of this nature.

14. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

This is about words, and those that have transparent skin...Osuna, if all accusations are true is a "f--ktard", the people that are physically/emotionally injured in these situations (abusive relationships) are victims and my heart goes out to them. Those that put their own definitions to someone else's words to advance their agenda, are morons. Society has really gotta get it's sht together.

"No Offense"

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I understand that but I don't think they brought it on themselves particularly, yes the asst gm was wrong and probably a douche but this firestorm is the result of a reporter having a serious ax to grind.

This is way different than Darvish its a more of a 3rd rail issue.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is the DV apologist?

Why would she delete the tweets after complainig about it?

I am not excusing Taubman for his actions I just don't think they rise to the level of DV apologist.

BigM likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

They get negative press in the media for minor issues which is why I equate them.

So now your issue is with the Astros being tone deaf?

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

She deleted the tweets after being intimidated. What is wrong with that? Does it intimidate? Is Footer scaring you or Taubman?

DV is wrong, 100%. Taunting people about DV is 100% wrong. Trying to place any blame on the victim of DV or from taunting related to DV makes one a DV apologist. One can choose what they want to be.

#398 Joe Joe, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Nook likes this.
  19. prospecthugger

That is my interpretation based on reading about the situation. I find it much more plausible than Taubman's explanation. If you want to stick to a "you can't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt" defense of Taubman, that's fine, but that defense only really matters in criminal cases.

20. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Why do you not have a problem with someone using something as serious as domestic violence as a personal tool for their own ends?

It takes away from the hard work other women have done to bring awareness to DV, and makes a mockery of good journalism to boot. Then the only people that know the entire story in an entire room full of people, are the other 2 female reporters?

The best part is, she wants to be anonymous, after constantly taunting Ozuna on her own personally social media account? When she actually needs to be strong and defend her views, she cowards?

Clearly a case of someone using a noble cause to further their own ****ed up ambitions.