1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Spring Training 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

2. Qan

Qan Member

So quick. Texans' season has really made it go by quickly.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes, the Texans and Rockets not being complete embarrassments certainly make the Astros offseason go a ton quicker from a fan perspective.

I'm still getting my fix of competitive hometown sportsball between Astros games. Wasn't happening the last 3 years

ryan_98 likes this.
  4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

5. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

PR move

ROCKSS likes this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

What's Puerto Rica have to do with it?

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Bagwell was actually a great hitting coach but didn’t want to continue to do it daily

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

And he was an even better hitter, and known for his adjustments before video became the rage.

The Beard likes this.
  9. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

I wish Pena would of changed his stance and the waiving of the bat pre swing.

rockbox likes this.
  10. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I swear that clip happened in his rookie season even though it was posted a couple of days ago and it says players report on Feb 14th. So potentially old video and Pena did say he's worked on some changes so potentially for a new stance and no waiving of the bat.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If that's what makes him comfortable and helps him get set, what does it matter? A lot of players move the bat pre-swing.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The Astros have 2 open position spots and catcher is most likely filled.

Needs: LH bat, corner OF, 1B
    Would benefit: speed, 3B.

There are 15 inf/of who are invited to ST who are candidates for these 2 spots.

Cabbage, Corona, Dezenzo, Gittens, Hamilton, Hensley, Julks, Kessinger, Leon, Loperfido, Machado, Melton, Singleton, Wagner, and Whitcomb.

I think Dezenzo, Loperfido, Melton, and Wagner are true prospects with limited AAA/AA experience and no opportunity for extensive MLB playing time so need everyday playing time in Sugar Land and are very unlikely to make the opening day roster.

Machado brings nothing new or needed to the roster.

This leaves 10 potentials.
    LH:Cabbage, Hamilton, Singleton
    1B:Cabbage, Gittens, Hensley, Kessinger, Singleton
    COF:Cabbage, Corona, Hamilton, Julks, Leon
    40 man: Cabbage, Corona, Hensley, Julks, Kessinger, Singleton.

The more I look at this the more I feel that Cabbage is going to make this team. First of all he checks all the boxes. Secondly, if he doesn't then Hamilton is the only other realistic LH OF option, and with only 132 AAA PA I don't know how realistic he is.

That leaves only 1 spit but the good news is there are no "needs". They weakest part of the roster is likely backup 3B.

Remaining candidates:
    Kessinger: 50% - RH all 4 inf.
    Hensley: 16% - RH all 4 inf.
    Singleton: 16% - LH 1B on 40 no options
    Whitcomb: 5% - RH SS/2B/3B - behind both others.
    Corona: 5% - OF-on 40 RH and needs everyday PA
    Hamilton: 5% - LH OF not on 40 can't play inf.
    Leon: 2% - RH OF/2B not on 40 doesn't meet need
    Julks: 1%- RH limited to LF doesn't meet need
    Gittens: 0%- RH 1B - not on 40 doesn't meet need.

My 2 cents.

13. Buck Turgidson

My .75 thinks the'll have ST before making these decisions.

BlindHog likes this.
  14. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

You are discounting key potentials. Brown has a reputation for utilizing players before others think they are ready. He does not seem to give a damn about major league experience over talent. Loperfido is a better option as a versatile bench bat than Dubon. He can play corner infield & outfield and he hits left handed. He is primed for a great Spring and could convince Brown that he is just what he wanted all along. Dubon or Kessinger can play middle infield bench. Corona is among the best options for the 4th outfielder spot and will have competition from Leon but has a good chance to win the job. We have a GM that will make these choices and I have not heard him discount anybody.

No Worries and bigdaddy like this.
  15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It's not about Brown havig a history of moving talent to MLB quickly. It's about an MLB roster that already has 8 1/2 position player starters and no playing time for prospects.

I simply don't think Brown will put these guys on the 26 man just to have them get 5-6 PA per week in Houston.

Now if there is a major injury, or Meyers has a terrible April I could see Corona, or maybe Loperfido brought up (but Leon may be more likely) but short of that they need to be playing everyday

I think they are important parts of the 2025-2030 Astros teams but not 2024.

cbass, Wulaw Horn, The Beard and 2 others like this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He would always lead with, "Don't do it like me."

But honestly, his unique stance probably worked facing NL Umpires because it was almost impossible to get a low strike from them and even worse with their 4" wider zone on the outside at the same time. Things are changing because of the electronic tracking, but there is still fudge room because of wonkie setups for the top and bottom of the zone which changes for each player and sometimes for every stance for those same players.

#16 Marshall Bryant, Feb 2, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea Brown (let’s not totally forget he wasn’t actually the one making the call) has a history of bringing up guys earlier than most thought to play full time

Not bringing guys up before most think they are ready so they can sit the bench

Would take an injury for one of those guys to make it, or an awful spring by Jake

prospecthugger and Wulaw Horn like this.
  18. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Mvp season for Pena confirmed

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I am so ready for this..........................time for baseball baby!!