1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros release Rosario

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DoitDickau, Nov 19, 2003.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It's valid, if Lugo is the subject.

2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I was hoping Rosario would be given a chance to be a part of the rotation. This is bad news in my opinion!

3. Major

Major Member

I just do not feel the steardship of this team is commensurate with the money spent, and I am sick and totally fed up with the owner spending so much energy talking money. Is that how he enters all discussions while on business for Baylor -- or, Heaven forbid, his grocery biz?

You mean that one time every year when he tells Hunsicker what the budget will be? When is the last time you heard him whine about money? How much time do you think he spends per year talking money to the media? 10 minutes? 5, maybe?

I want to feel the product being put out there is the best possible product. Heck, the way players are being dumped 'in this new economy' it appears if some owner decided to up the payroll a few % he could add lots of talent to his roster. Go for it. Raise your payroll 7%, increase your ticket sales by ?% + marketing contracts by another ?%. It might prove to be very good biz, a very good biz investment, indeed.

You need to re-learn business. Increasing payroll won't increase ticket sales nor marketing contracts. In MLB, raising payroll is virtually never a good business investment - especially in the long-term, because its not sustainable. There's a reason that everyone that has raised payroll in the last decade is cutting it significantly again.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

According to the Astros, he would not be available to pitch in 2004 anyway.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

THANK YOU FOR THE LESSON. I THINK I'LL GO WITH THE WINNING PUTS FANNIES IN SEATS, APPROACH. THIS ISN'T A SPEND $25 MIL MORE CONVERSATION, IT'S SPEND ANOTHER $7 MIL +/-. WATCH THE TURNSTILES SPIN WITH WINS, WATCH THEM STAY IDLE WITHOUT IT. THERE ARE LOADS OF GUYS OUT THERE WHO WILL STILL BE OUT THERE IN JANUARY DESPERATE FOR A CONTRACT, AND MANY WILL BE BETTER THAN WHAT IS CURRENTLY ON THE ROSTER.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you're right...WINNING puts fans in the seats...no doubts there.

but spending more money on player payroll does not necessarily equate to more winning. contrast the Rangers and A's. contrast the Orioles with the Astros. you're assuming that another dollar spent equals more wins...and it just doesn't work that way. that's why virtually every team in the league, save the Padres, is cutting payroll.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

There are lots of reasons payrolls are being cut. I am advocating, no -- just wishing, that the 'stros look to STEAL a guy or three who falls through the cracks. They did that with Kent last year. This year the BARGAINS will be much better, yet. Take advantage, even if the payroll goes up a 'mesely' few million.

8. Timing

Timing Member

I agree with you but our window is closing. The older Bagwell gets and the more we have to trade off to maintain payroll flexibility the faster the window closes. Not to mention our minor league system is tapped out from this constant recycling of talent that we've done. If it's about winning then it's right now or wait to reload. This is why I think Drayton will sell the team right after 2004. We should have a solid season and we'll have the All-Star game. After that this team is in for a decline and we all know Drayton knows the score which is probably why the decks are cleared payroll wise for 2005.

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

bad move, bad move, bad move, bad move.............

I was completely impressed w/Rosario and I know I am not the only one. Whether or not he could pitch next year is insignificant. He will be a top three rotation major league pitcher. Some other team will recognize this and sign him for the cheap. Probably the cubs who have enough arms anyway.

can't wait for the all star game so drayton will get his bucks and move on.... Sell the team you cheap b*stard!!!!!!!
    Can't believe I ever like him as an owner

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It sounds like you believe they released Rosario because McLane is cheap. He, in no way was due any kind of raise unless he was on the major league roster and then he would only be making the minimum. This move has nothing to do with money. It is also likely they will resign Rosario.

Considering his injury was/is serious enough for him to miss 1 1/2 seasons, I doubt anyone knows what type of pitcher he'll be in the future.