1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros @ Reds

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 30, 2004.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

There's Hockey on ESPN2 right now:rolleyes:

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

More than likely most every player has already been placed on waivers. As a rule of thumb (according to Hunsicker) the Astros put all of their players on waivers. Supposedly Beltran was claimed by the Phillies, Clemens by the Red Sox and Kent by the A's.

I suspect another team already has a claim in on Johnson, but under the hypothetical you propse, yes it was possible that the Astros could have claimed Johnson and then they would be the only team that could work out any kind of deal with Arizona.

Usually teams do this on 08/01. I doubt Johnson would have made it past the Mets (who may have been worse than the Astros at that time).

3. PhiSlammaJamma

3 games out with potentially 5-8 HOFamers on the roster. I say we are in it and it's ours for the taking.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bottom of the 8th in Montreal... scoreless game.

Expos' Izturis just legged out a 1-out triple.

Man on third... 1 out... PUT ON THE SQUEEZE FRANK!!!

5. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Can't believe the Expos went with Pascucci in that situation ... Seems like they have to have a more experienced option than that in such a crucial situation

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed...but that's what you get from a team with nothing to lose.

They need to give their minor league guys some crucial AB's, not try to win the game at all costs.

Meanwhile, the Marlins (probably the most dangerous team out there) is up by 1 against the Mets.

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

And they fail to bring the runner home...

It doesn't get any more frustrating than rooting for the Expos.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Marlins win... Padres losing... Montreal and Chicago still trying to score.

9. AGBee

AGBee Member

Chicago scores on a wild pitch, suck it Montreal.

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Padres lost, Giants losing early. The Cubs pulled it out, but they're fading fast. Their bats have gone just about as cold as ours were.

11. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

I tell ya damnit, the Astros getting back in this race is wreaking havoc with my daily life now :p

Seems the team we expected to show up this year, finally did just that.

Hope we can make one hell of a run at it.

At the very least, hopefully we can look to a healthy pitching staff for next year as well.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I just hope that we sustain the run and even if we fail it convinces Roger that we can do it next year.

DD

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Why would he think that? We're going to be without:

Beltran
    Kent
    Biggio?

If you thought our hitting was bad before, just wait...

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Kent and Biggio can go, they can be replaced, Beltran we should try to resign.

DD

15. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I just realized the Cubs and Marlins play each other this weekend. That will be great. If they beat up on each other and the Stros can continue their pace this could be a good weekend. A sweep either way really hurts the team that gets swept.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Kind of funny how many more posts there are in here now that they are winning again.

You have to wonder what the standings would look like if one of May, June or July was like August. We'd still be behind the Cards, but the wild card would be nearly locked.

I still think we are even better with Adam Everett out there and Viz off the bench.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They are certainly on the schedule to play this weekend, but Hurrican Frances might have something to say about that. They may have to postpone the series. I am not sure how that would work out. It's not like there are a bunch of off days between now and the end of the season. Would they puch the start of the playoffs back some to get it in?

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I don't expect to see Beltran here next year either because he wants to be P A I D. Since they will be sinking $39 million in Bagwell, they won't have enough money to go around so they'll keep the older declining player instead of the younger 5-tool player.

19. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Talk is that if it looks like it will be postponed that they will try to play 2 on Friday and then play the 3rd game when Florida goes to Chicago in a couple of weeks.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I say that totally benefits Florida, given Chicago's terrible bullpen (which would have to come into play if they do the doubleheader), and the fact that the Marlins have a certain killer instinct on the road that can't be measured by their record... and combine that with the haunting of Wrigeley Field and the NLCS curses (Bartman game).

Also, this allows them, with the off days, to set up their rotation to have their best guys (Pavano, Beckett, Burnett) going against the Cubs best... which on paper would be Wood, Prior, Zambrano... but with the way Prior is pitching, and with Maddux's "percieved" greatness (take away the Brewers, and he's had an average year)... who knows.