1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros re-sign Ausmus

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Master Baiter, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Astros re-sign Ausmus
    Veteran catcher inks two-year deal

HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros announced Wednesday that they have agreed to terms on a two-year deal with free-agent catcher Brad Ausmus. The announcement was made by general manager Gerry Hunsicker.

A two-time Gold Glove award winner, Ausmus has played five seasons in Houston and is the only Gold Glove catcher in Astros franchise history. He finished second among Major League catchers in 2003 with a .997 fielding percentage. He threw out 37 of 105 base stealers (.352), and was charged with only three passed balls in 143 games, ranking first among big-league catchers (min. 700 innings). Ausmus batted .229 (103-for-450) last season with four home runs and 47 RBI. He has caught at least 100 games in each of his 10 full seasons in the Majors.

Ausmus has spent the past three years in Houston, and has posted a career batting average of .256 (1107-for-4327) with 63 home runs and 430 RBI. He first joined the Astros for the 1997 season after being acquired from Detroit in a trade on Dec. 10, 1996. Following two seasons in Houston, he returned to the Tigers in another trade on Jan. 14, 1999. Ausmus came back to the Astros on Dec. 11, 2000, in a trade with Detroit along with Doug Brocail and Nelson Cruz in exchange for Roger Cedeno, Chris Holt and Mitch Meluskey.

------------------------------------------------------------

Bad move. Dude cant hit at all and his glove does not make up for it. He is an automatic our 80% of the time.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Uncle Drayton opens up his wallet!!!

Astros re-sign Ausmus
    Veteran catcher inks two-year deal

HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros announced Wednesday that they have agreed to terms on a two-year deal with free-agent catcher Brad Ausmus. The announcement was made by general manager Gerry Hunsicker.

A two-time Gold Glove award winner, Ausmus has played five seasons in Houston and is the only Gold Glove catcher in Astros franchise history. He finished second among Major League catchers in 2003 with a .997 fielding percentage. He threw out 37 of 105 base stealers (.352), and was charged with only three passed balls in 143 games, ranking first among big-league catchers (min. 700 innings). Ausmus batted .229 (103-for-450) last season with four home runs and 47 RBI. He has caught at least 100 games in each of his 10 full seasons in the Majors.

Ausmus has spent the past three years in Houston, and has posted a career batting average of .256 (1107-for-4327) with 63 home runs and 430 RBI. He first joined the Astros for the 1997 season after being acquired from Detroit in a trade on Dec. 10, 1996. Following two seasons in Houston, he returned to the Tigers in another trade on Jan. 14, 1999. Ausmus came back to the Astros on Dec. 11, 2000, in a trade with Detroit along with Doug Brocail and Nelson Cruz in exchange for Roger Cedeno, Chris Holt and Mitch Meluskey.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...tent_id=605747&vkey=pr_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

You just beat me.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Great move.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Considering they were bidding against themselves, how much is the deal worth? If not much, then good to have BA back!

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, cause he kept his wallet closed for people like Wagner, Hidalgo, Berkman, Biggio, Kent and Bagwell. Glad he's finally opening it up.

7. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

Damn! I had a bad feeling this was going to happen...I can't stand "Bradley" and his no hitting a**!

But I do know that he is Bagwells good friend. I'm just sick of all this crap they always say about him being good for the pitching staff. What the hell do we have a pitching coach for... Damn! Another couple of years of watching that no hitting punk! I'm just upset. Thanks for letting me vent a little.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

He's a great catcher, but he just can't hit worth a sh*t...

That would really balance him out if he could...I hope he didn't get as much as we paid him last year...

9. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Last year he started out good, he had those 2 homeruns in St. Louis, I thought he was going to gives us bat we needed from catcher. But nooooo he still had a solid glove, and that was about it.

10. Buck Turgidson

He was abyssmal pre-ASB, but hit .270 afterwards.

John Buck needs more time in AAA, Chavez is a solid backup. This is a good move.

Ask any of the young pitchers how valuable Bradley is. Expect good things from Duckworth this year.

Plus, he presides over the Kangaroo Court. You can't put a pricetag on that. ;)

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

So THAT was Drayton's master plan in trading Wagner, to re-sign the mighty Brad Ausmus...:)

12. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Great news!!!

Pettitte and Clemens didn't want to be throwing to some rookie catcher;)

13. spence99

spence99 Member

2 year deal? I was thinking they would sign him for this year, then bring up Buck next year. I wonder if the Astros plan on having Ausmus as a backup next year. I think it would be good to have Ausmus around to help Buck along when he comes up.

14. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Brad Ausmus is a 34 year old catcher. I think he wanted security and with the 2 year deal he gets just that. Great resigning by the astros.

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Good move if at the right price. We have more than enough offense, we need his arm and his brain.

16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

It's about time that cheapskate spent some money. I think Ausmus is good for the team, although I hope they clear the way for Buck at some point during the season after next.

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I would rather have given Chavez and Buck the opportunity to play.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

I heard the deal was $2 mil per year. If so, I've given up on the Astros. I'd much rather have the team overpay for talent(Hidalgo/Wagner at 12/8 mil), then overpay for automatic-out in Ausmus.

I hope this is actually to be a minimum deal for Ausmus to be only a part time catcher. But that's unlikely.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I wouldn't expect the Astros to make the playoffs if that happened. I'm glad Brad is back.

20. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

San Diego gets screwed in this deal. They were the only other team to pursue Ausmus, but it looked like they were going to get a solid catcher from Oakland in Ramon Hernandez. Now it looks like that deal is falling through and the Pads are left with no catcher.