1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros @ Pirates

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 27, 2004.

1. deepellumrocket

Yeah, I kinda figured he'd more likely be the mascot.

My name is Bobby.
    I like to party.
    And if you don't believe me,
    watch me move my body.

2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Damnit that boy ain't right in the head is he...

3. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Astros win 2-0. Dotel struck out the side in the ninth.

Houston Native

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

2-0 win. A two hitter today by the Astros. Great pitching by Pettitte today. Great job closing the game by Lidge and Dotel.

5. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Awesome pitching today, and good defense as well.

6. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

nice outing for Pettitte, he looked good today. Astros made the right decision in holding him back in Colorado.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its amazing to see how much great pitching this team actually has. Yesterday, Roy was great... just no offense. Today, Pettite was even better... and now tommorow, Clemens, and then Saturday Miller!

I know this is how it was supposed to be to start the year, but its even more amazing seeing it live, instead of on paper.

And, the pen is being used perfectly right now... in fact, they've basically had the month off (compared to last year), with all these blowouts, and off days.

They should be fresher at the end of the year simply because our starters are that much better.

8. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Great that they pulled Andy after 74 pitches....work him back in slowly....plus he got the win.

9. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

If our offense can get on a roll, then we would be unstoppable. If this offensive slump keeps going on, I wonder if Gerry will try to go out and get some hitting. That seems wierd for the Astros to need hitting but the window of opportunity is closing and if thats our biggest need at the break then I guess you have to try.

10. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

It was great to see Dotel pitch like that in the 9th, and with Pettitte giving up 1 hit on 74 pitches in 6 innings, I hope he can keep pitching that well all year long.

11. haven

haven Member

Great outing for Pettite. Really gratifying for me. since a lot of my friends think the Astros really overpaid for Pettite. I think they maybe did, but am still glad to have him. So this gives me some ammunition :).

Also, while I have many problems with Jimy "Seat of the Pants" Williams, I'm very glad that Oswalt is still our #1 - he deserves it. I'm a little bit bothered by the # of Astros fans who actually think Clemens and Pettite are better pitchers. Clemens certainly once was, but probably isn't any more. Pettite... I don't think is in the same class.

Oh well. Silly thing to be worried about, since I like all 3. But I've got a particular fondness for homegrown guys.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

haven --

i'm with you...oswalt is the ace of this staff...

having said that, Roger looks like he may be making an all-star game appearance in his home city..in his home city's jersey...this year by his play so far.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If the big 3 can win 70% of their games, and Wade chip in with 60%, and then our 5th guy break even, this should be a great season.

DD

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think its the media, more than anything, that views Clemens and Pettite as the staff aces, rather than Oswalt.

I feel real Astros fans know first and fore-most that Oswalt is our ace, our stopper, our best pitcher.

Hell... even though Clemens has pitched his heart out, and pitched GREAT, you can make a case that Oswalt has actually pitched BETTER than Clemens this year.

The last two games (neither of which Roy won) have been classic Oswalt... just not enough offense to get him the wins. Preceeding this was the 2 hit shutout, and the opening day SF game (just one bad pitch....arrgh!).

Hopefully Roy can get that win total up, and he can join Clemens, Biggio and Bagwell as the home-town reps for the all-star game. If not, that's okay... he'll have plenty of these to attend in the future.

15. MadMax

...and hidalgo!!!! and hopefully dotel will earn a spot there as well, by July.

16. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

was Roger added to the all star roster last year BECAUSE it was his last year.. im trying to remember if that was him or another player? there was someone they were making a big deal about and I'm not sure if it was him or not.. .. if it was him I hope there isn't any resentment about that and it doesn't cost him a place.. different league so I wouldn't think it would.

17. MadMax

if he keeps pitching like this, it would take an army to keep him out of the all star game.

18. Major

Major Member

Hopefully Roy can get that win total up, and he can join Clemens, Biggio and Bagwell as the home-town reps for the all-star game. If not, that's okay... he'll have plenty of these to attend in the future.

Clemens, Hidalgo, Oswalt, and maybe Bagwell... but no way in hell Biggio makes it. He'd have to get in as an outfielder, and there's no way he's one of the top 6 or so outfielders in the NL.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Fan vote!

20. Major

Major Member

Fan vote!

Houston fans? Do they really vote en-masse for anything?