1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros New Manager and GM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Someone still has the lights on in the Astros front office as they have recently spoken to Pittsburgh about Jameson Taillon and Chris Archer.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You just made the argument why the NL is more difficult. Essentially in the AL, as you said, the change is made based on the pitcher's current ability, health or matchup. In the NL, you have those same issues plus when is the pitcher due up...are there enough bench players available to pinch hit, especially if the game is in or headed towards extra innings. Now whether or not it is significantly more difficult is arguable but considering the NL has more decisions makes it more of an issue.

RKREBORN likes this.
  3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

All I said in my original comment, the decision on when to pull a pitcher, more times than not, is more difficult in the AL. I never said overall managing was. I said he will have to make pitching decisions based on the pitchers ability to continue to get people out

Pitching, not the whole game, pitching...pitching...pitching

Also, it's kind of funny to me how many people don't like Dusty because at the beginning of his career as a manager he worked starting pitchers hard...he hasn't done that lately....and back in those days it was generally accepted as ok

I'm fine with the Dusty hire by the way

Go Astros

4. The Beard

At some point there is going to be an awkward trade/signing made. Archer has been very Anti-Astro over this whole scandal BS.

Don't get me wrong, i'd take him in a heartbeat, but there will be some awkward moments when one of these vocal anti-Astro guys become...an Astro

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I bet he’ll fall in line and shut up quickly once he realizes the run support he’ll receive and the amount of pressure JV and Greinke takes off of him.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Supposedly they want the other guy more anyway.

7. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Taillon is definitely who I would want more

raining threes likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Isn't JT recovering from TJS?

9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

PITTSBURGH -- Jameson Taillon, the Pirates’ Opening Day starter, will miss all off the 2020 season -- not just the remainder of this year -- after undergoing a second Tommy John surgery on Tuesday.

Taillon knew he was going to be sidelined for the rest of this season when he underwent right flexor tendon repair surgery on Tuesday at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York. Dr. David Altchek performed that procedure, as scheduled, then determined during the operation that Taillon also required ulnar collateral ligament revision surgery. Altchek performed Taillon’s second Tommy John surgery on Tuesday.

This outcome was always a possibility heading into surgery, but it was considered to be Taillon’s worst-case scenario. Rather than returning early next year, Taillon is instead projected to return to full competition as a 29-year-old in 2021.

“He was shocked when he heard the news, as were we. But he’s got a good head on his shoulders, and he’s going to come out of this stronger than he was before,” starter Trevor Williams said. “We’re penciling him in for Comeback Player of the Year, 2021.”

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  10. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Good. I've long thought that Archer is one of the more overrated pitchers in baseball (over the last 2-3 seasons). Would really like Taillon.

EDIT: just saw that he's not expected back until 2021. Could still be an interesting guy to trade for, but the price would have to be much lower than if he were healthy going into this season.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Taillon has ties to the area, having pitched at The Woodlands High School.

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

It's definitely not Orbit.

msn likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

They know who to call Brian.

[​IMG]

desihooper, Nook and BigM like this.
  14. The Beard

kind of agree on Archer

but would love to see Strom get ahold of him

texans1095 likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

King1 and arkoe like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Just passing on what I was told from someone pretty reliable (same person that said Astros were trying to trade for Greinke before last season).

I don’t even know if you can trade for someone on the IR.

17. Buck Turgidson

Don't believe you can.

I had thought of him as another Cole-type trade target. Oh well...

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

People love to say that because it is absolutely true. As you said, “in NL there are more other tactical issues to deal with.” This is the exact point I’m trying to make. Double switches, hit and run, base stealing, sacrifice bunts etc. are more common in NL. Did you just start watching baseball?

19. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

What in gods name are you talking about? NL pitching changes are dictated a lot by when the pitcher is up to bat and/or if a pinch hitter is needed. There are more limits on lefty/righty matchups in the NL as you don’t want to burn the double switch or if the pitcher is up to bat. I feel as if you have never watched an NL game. Were you even a fan when we were in the NL?

20. Buck Turgidson

There were more sacrifices last year in the NL, of course, but there were more SB attempts in the AL.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2019-standard-batting.shtml
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2019-standard-batting.shtml