1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 7, 2004.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I am aware that Williams is probably using it for rest, but it still doesn't make sense to have a team that is having difficulty scoring, leave a .350 hitter on the bench. In the last 3 games, the Astros have scored 4 runs, gotten 20 hits (17 singles, 3 doubles) and Lamb has not received one at bat.

I suspect Williams will reward Hidalgo for hitting a ball to the wall and walking last night (one of his better offensive efforts recently) :) and Palmeiro will wind up in CF. Ensberg will probably be rewarded as well for his sacrifice fly and ball to the warning track. The guy who should have gotten a rest this series was Berkman.

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Another reason the games are so long is Ichiro and Speizio. Watch how long these two take in between pitches. Speizio walks al the way to the on deck cricle between each pitch.

3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Well the Cards sure didnt have much trouble with Mark Prior today. Let's hope that the Stros can start to get things turned around at the plate tonight.

The good thing is that we are slumping yet we are still ahead of the Cubs and still in the thick of things. Pretty soon this team is going to turn this around whether by skill or luck.

4. Buck Turgidson

Lamb hasn't played in the past 2 games due to a death in the family.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's no excuse, dammit!!!!

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Why does MadMax hate death in the family?

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

:D

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its time to stop making excuses for Wade Miller. If he's hurt, that's one thing... but I hate hearing, "He'll get into a funk sometimes...", or "He's such a gamer... but sometimes he loses focus?!?"

He's reminding me of a certain Rocket player right now...

9. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Nice offense, guys.

CUT HIDALGO

:rolleyes:

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Thanks for the info. Has that been in the Chronicle the past couple of days? I've been catching the Mariners broadcast via the MLB package and they haven't said a word.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bases loaded... nobody out... and no Astros runs.

Who are we... the Cubs?? ;)

But, i stand by my statement... get ahead in the count against any Astro besides Bagwell, and you're more than likely to get them out.

Get ahead 0-2, and go for the K my friend... throw it anywhere, and you'll find a swing somewhere.

12. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Berkman falls in the same category as Bagwell in that regard, IMO.

13. BigCountry132

BigCountry132 Contributing Member

This team needs to make some changes in the offense- a new rightfielder (JD Drew), power off the bench (Matt Stairs) and a contact hitter(Juan Pierre).

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not really... most of Berkman's OBP and walks come as a product of not pitching to him at all, whereas with Bagwell... they're trying to get him out, but after he gets to two strikes, he'll only swing at a pitch in the strike zone.

Berkman, Kent, etc... will all chase a pitch when they're behind in the count 0-2, or 1-2. Berkman is especially vulnerable to the high fastball.

Btw... Jimy needs to stop this bunting of Everett as long as somebody is on base. I understand the 1st inning somewhat (although some will argue it prevents a big inning... but 1st inning runs are important too), and late in the game is very important... but in the 3rd inning, after a lead-off double... you should not be trying the bunt.

And as I type... Bags comes thru with a crushed RBI 2B, opposite field.

We'll now get to see if they pitch to Berkman.

#94 Nick, Jun 9, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  15. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

News Flash: We aren't the Yankees or Red Sox.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wow... Winn ROBS Hidalgo of a HR. (when I say robs, he ROBBED him... climbed the wall and brought it back... and nobody even knew it till a minute later when he FINALLY showed he had the ball).

We gotta remember this when we're talking about how Hidalgo still hasn't hit a HR since April. That was a freakin HR to dead center... man.

17. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Winn deserves to get one thrown near his ear-hole ... holding the ball in the glove and not showing it for as long as he did was just taunting Hidalgo making him think he hit it out.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I thought that at first too.... but on replay, I think he got a little jolt from making contact with the wall, and he was simply trying to collect himself.

Winn's not a showboat... hell... he's never really done anything that would warrant that behavior anyways. He's always been a decent guy.

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Everett did the equivalent when he threw him out at 3rd on a ball going away from 3rd base. Winn has a reputation as a speed guy; that Everett play punked him pretty bad. (That was a HUGE play- not only got the lead runner, but set up the DP ball for the very next batter; saved a probable run and some pitches in Wade's arm for sure)

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I doubt Everett was trying to show him up... it was a bang-bang play, and it took the perfect throw to get him out.

Honestly, if you're Winn, or the mariners, you want him to try and make that play every time... it could have backfired badly.