1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros make offer to Kent?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by pugsly8422, Nov 12, 2004.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I heard on 610 this morning that we've made an offer to Jeff Kent. Does anyone have any details on this?

Pugs

2. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Astros want Kent for his talent, fire

Purpura makes offer to veteran second baseman

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

KEY BISCAYNE, FLA. - Because he is not a self promoter, few people realized how big a role Jeff Kent played in kicking the Astros into gear this season.

Few people remember the airing out he gave teammates after a loss in San Diego in July or the stern lecture he delivered after they lost Game 2 of the National League Championship Series.

Astros president of baseball operations Tal Smith and general manager Tim Purpura understand that the All-Star second baseman's value extended beyond his team-high 107 RBIs, which is why Kent received a contract offer Thursday to remain with the team.

Purpura and Kent's agents declined to divulge the terms of the offer.

Also Thursday, National League Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens filed for free agency.

"The Astros are seriously interested in having discussions about bringing Jeff back," said Kent's agent, Jeff Klein. "We'll see how fast they progress and go from there."

As has been the case throughout the general managers' meetings this week, Purpura spent Thursday going between meetings with other teams and agents.

After making the contract offer for Kent to Klein over the phone, Purpura met personally with free agent Orlando Palmeiro's agent, Barry Praver, for another negotiation session.

Purpura, who took over as Astros GM last week, hasn't had much time to be bored..

He didn't want to miss an opportunity to negotiate with Kent before teams lost exclusive rights to negotiate with their own free agents at 11 p.m. Thursday.

Beginning at 11:01 p.m. Thursday, free agents officially were free to exchange contract figures with other teams.

"Just because the window opens (for other teams) doesn't mean you stop negotiating, either," Purpura said.

Kent has had inquiries from multiple teams, and Klein plans to keep the options open.

"They made an offer, and the pace of negotiations is highly unpredictable," said Klein.

Kent hit .289 with 27 home runs in 145 games this season, starting 137 at second base and two as the designated hitter.

On Oct. 2, he hit his final two home runs of the regular season, tying and breaking Ryne Sandberg's record for home runs by a second baseman (278). In June, Kent set a franchise record with a career-high 25-game hitting streak.

A proud and rigid man, he didn't speak much or participate in some of the pranks that take place in a major-league clubhouse. But he made his words count.

"We had a lot of people that stepped up big, which is what it takes," Smith said.

"Jeff was certainly in the forefront of that. I thought he was a real catalyst. I think his approach to the game, his competitiveness, his desire, his interest to help younger players, all that is very important over and above his actual physical contributions, which were obviously significant."

Two of Kent's most memorable speeches came during the NLCS.

After the Astros dropped Game 2 at Busch Stadium against the Cardinals, Kent ripped into his teammates and challenged them to step up.

As the Astros won the next three games to move within a victory of the franchise's first World Series, Kent backed his words with a dramatic, three-run homer to win Game 5.

He also addressed his teammates after the loss in Game 7.

"Remember how this feels," a proud teammate remembered. "You young guys, remember how this feels."

Said Smith: "It's hard for anybody except those of you that are in the clubhouse and involved to really know and understand (Kent's value to young teammates).

"Sometimes directness and candor gets misunderstood ... but I just think he's been a real asset and contributor to the club both for his physical contributions and the intangibles. I hope we can work out something."

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Without the tems, hard to say if he'll stay...I hope he does, but I may be in the minority...Kent is good for this team, but he'll be able to get more money elsewhere...

4. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Thanx Blatz.

I have to agree, I'd love to have him back at the right price, but I'm sure someone else will offer more.

Pugs

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I have no problem with him coming back IF Chris Burke has the chance to be the utility guy this year. He needs a chance to prove that he belongs in the majors.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I have mixed feelings about this. First of all, I don't think it's really wise to spend much money on him, given we have a young player waiting in the wings. There are other places we can use the money on instead. And Kent's batting and defense has been slipping quite a bit lately. He still hits for power, but his average and on base ability has really been taking a hit, not to mention grounding into so many double plays.

That said, I wonder what Beltran, Clemens, and most Astros fans would think if we let him go. Not to mention that we'd replace him with a rookie. It sends the message that we're giving up on the season, even if that's not the truth.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

well obviously they're trying to get him at a discount so if he signs i'm all for it. the man had 100+ rbis last season, he's not so easily replaced. i agree however that we shouldn't break the bank on him but that's not gona happen anyways.

8. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Here's the way i look at it. We can't lose the production that both Beltran and Kent brought to the lineup. Especially with Berkman going to miss the first month, possibly more. So, if we're able to sign Jeff Kent for a biggio like contract, its well worth it. After going to game 7 of the NLCS you have to give fans a reason to buy tickets.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah...i agree..this lineup looks awfully different with both beltran and kent out. that's why i think glaus may be a good idea if we can't sign beltran.

10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Absolutely. But more important than that is the NL is virtually up for grabs. There is no truly dominant team in all phases of the game. The astros if they can either keep beltran and kent or kent and good FA hitter, plus persuade clemens to return, have as good of a shot as anyone in the NL of making it to the World Series as of right now. That is why it is no time to be complacent this offseason.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Obviously, if Kent is willing to sign for a Biggio type contract, that would be great. But what are the odds of that? He put up much better stat than Biggio last year, while playing at the premium position of 2nd base. I'd assume he'd get at least 2 years at $5 mil per.

12. JPM0016

A Biggio contract was 2 years (1 being a team option) at 4.5 million once you count the easily reachable incentives. Sounds about right to me.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Looks like Kent is checking out Detroit as well... frankly, I'm not too concerned either way, but I doubt that he's serious about going to go to Detroit... he's probably just looking for a counter-offer in case the 'Stros try to seriously low-ball him, due to a lack of other offers.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/tigers/0411/16/d09-5984.htm

All-Star Kent visits with Tigers
    By Tom Gage / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- The Tigers are interested in free-agent power hitter Jeff Kent -- and by virtue of his visit to Detroit on Monday, he's interested in them.

Kent, 36, who became a free agent after an All-Star season with the Houston Astros, met with Tigers officials at Comerica Park as another off-season of free agency quickly heats up. It's also been reported that pitchers Troy Percival and Carl Pavano will visit Detroit.

The Tigers have identified the bullpen as an area that needs attention this winter. They could also use a frontline starting pitcher and a third baseman.

Kent, however, addresses none of the above. He's an infielder whose primary position since 1993, his second year in the majors, has been second base. But he's known far more for his offense, having driven in more than 100 runs in seven of his last eight seasons. Kent hit .289 with 27 home runs and 107 RBI for Houston this year.

Consistently productive, he has had major-leagues bests of 37 home runs (with the San Francisco Giants in 2002), 128 RBI (with the Giants in 1998) and a .334 average (with the Giants in 2000). He was named National League Most Valuable Player in 2000.

A four-time All-Star, Kent made $10 million with Houston this year. If he signs, and starts at second for the Tigers, Omar Infante would have to switch positions -- possibly to third or to center field.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hope he stays, the team needs more leaders that are willing to take on the responsibility of leadership.

Quiet leaders are ok, but you need someone with fire in belly and in their words.

DD

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Is there any (management/Kent) consideration of Kent moving to 3rd and Burke starting at 2nd. Lamb in reserve. Ensberg on the market. ? ? ? ? ?

16. JPM0016

I highly doubt it. Kent wants to play 2b. Had that not been the case, we could have kept Biggio at 2b and sticking Kent at 3rd two years ago.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

'Yes, but...' This is two years on, now (then, too???) Kent's range barely exceeds mine. He is less in demand than he was, which might mean a shift might equal million(s) more on a contract.

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Kent, while not a good second baseman, is serviceable defensively. He made some solid plays in the playoffs for us. And all his value is as a 2B, a defensive position. He's a less valuable commodity at 3B, and I'm not sure his arm is enough to make him credible at that position.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It kind of looks like Jeff Kent will not be back with the Astros. The way Kent's agent put it is the Astros had the option and exclusive window. I take that to mean Kent wasn't exactly thrilled with the offer. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes elsewhere. Read below.

Kent has discussions with Tigers
    By BRIAN MCTAGGART
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

The agent for All-Star second baseman Jeff Kent said his client's visit with the Detroit Tigers is a sign the free agent is serious about considering offers from teams besides the Astros.

Jeff Klein, who accompanied Kent to Detroit on Monday for what he called an "exploratory meeting," said he's received interest from a handful of teams but that Kent wanted to visit with the Tigers because he didn't know much about them.

"The Astros had the option and the exclusive window, and now Jeff's in the position (where) teams are calling him," Klein said.

Kent spent the last two seasons with the Astros, hitting .289 with 27 homers and 107 RBIs in 2004. The Astros declined his $9 million option for 2005 with hopes of re-signing him at a lesser price.

In other news, Astros general manager Tim Purpura said Tuesday that he has spoken with former pitching coach Burt Hooton and former hitting coach Harry Spilman about returning to the organization. Hooton and Spilman were fired along with manager Jimy Williams at the All-Star break, but Purpura said they're both candidates to join the staff at Class AAA Round Rock next season.

"They're both interested," Purpura said. "I think both of them have potential options other than us."

Also Tuesday, the Astros named J.D. Elliby coordinator of professional scouting. Elliby joins the Astros from the Major League Baseball scouting bureau, where he had filled a variety of roles since 1997.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

man, i think you're reading way too much into that. it's just a fact statement...a truth. he will listen to other offers. but the guy is in the waning years of his career...home is here....and he just spoke about how playing with these guys helped him rediscover the joy of just playing the game. i like the astros chances.