1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros let four free agents go

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Dec 7, 2003.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

The Astros officially ended ties with outfielder Orlando Merced, right-handers Rick White and Brian Moehler and left-hander Ron Villone on Sunday by choosing not to offer any of the free agents arbitration. They now cannot re-sign with Houston until May 1

2. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I'll miss Orlando

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I liked what Villone did...too bad, he seemed to finally be getting the control down, and that allowed his talent to shine through.
    DD

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I agree. I thought Villone did a good job for us last season. He finally began to take control of his games. He was doing pretty well.

5. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Villone and Moehler gone....Pettite coming?

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I'm a little surprised. Villone did a solid job, and he was a lefty who could both start and relieve. On a team lacking starved for starting pitching, that seems an odd move. What happens if they don't get Pettite?

7. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Villone will be missed as an enforcer on the pitching staff.

Too bad the Astros missed on their chance to get another veteran pitcher in Chad Fox, but it was encouraging to see them try.

from http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/n...nt_id=613331&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

The Marlins avoided arbitration by re-signing right-handed reliever Chad Fox to a one-year deal worth $1.3 million. The Marlins, who initially offered Fox $700,000, were outbid by the Houston Astros by $100,000 before giving Fox a counter offer Sunday afternoon that cinched his return to Miami.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Man, they are seriously trying to clear house so they can go after Pettite and Clemens. Sad.

9. franchise?..NOT

So I guess that means that Jimmy's boy Geoff Blum has been offered arbitration? No way he is worth $1-2 mill/yr to this team. Ensberg has got to be pissed. Another year of platooning for him.

Should have kept Villone as insurance and a bullpen lefty. I thought we learned that lesson last year.

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

Astro learn a lesson never!!!!!

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The only one on their you could really argue about keeping after last year is Villone and it's not like he's had the most stellar career.

Wish we would've kept him, but losing him along with the other three isn't quite sad.

12. Buck Turgidson

So wait a sec here...keeping Blum as an insurance/utility guy at $1-2M is a terrible move, but keeping Villone as an insurance/bullpen guy at $1-2M is good?

Stros have plenty of options for the rotation, especially given that they're expected to sign another starter:
    Oswalt
    FA
    Miller
    Redding
    Hernandez/Robertson/Duckworth/various non-roster invitees;

Personally, I'm hoping Carlos comes back healthy & Duckworth can move to the 'pen.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Getting rid of the 3 pitchers they did, does not quite equal "seriously trying to clear house". Villone was spectacular in June and July. No quesiton about it. He faded to a 4.72 ERA in August and 7.03 :eek: in September.

Moeller pitched 3 games and then got hurt. There is some doubt as to whether he will even be able to pitch next season.

White is a journeyman and easily replaceable.

Regardless of the Pettitte situation, it is doubtful they would have offered arbitration to any of these guys.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm sorry, bobrek..you make too much sense. it's more fun to blast the astros for letting these "valuable" cogs go. damn, i hardly slept last night with the loss of moehler. and white?? holy crap...when I think Houston Astros...i think Rick White!!!

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

You could argue that after Oswalt, Villone was as good as any other starter for the Stros last season.

Oswalt 10-5, 2.97 era, 1.14 whip
    Redding 10-14, 3.68 era, 1.39 whip
    Miller 14-13, 4.13 era, 1.31 whip
    Villone 6-6, 4.13 era, 1.30 whip
    Robertson 15-9, 5.10 era, 1.52 whip

Duckworth was a brutal 4-7, 4.94 era, 1.52 whip last year. Actually an improvement from 2002. At least he's young enough to improve. Like Buck, I'm hoping Hernandez is healthy enough to fill the fifth spot in the rotation, because I have no confidence in Robertson or Duckworth.

The whole rotation would look excellent with an ace inserted into it. Oswalt doesn't stay healthy enough to be a #1, but he'd be a great #2. Miller isn't consistant enough to be #2, but with his stuff he could make a really nice #3. Redding's not a bad 4 by any means, and he's got room to improve.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I can understand getting rid of Orlando because he didn't do much of anything last season but I think Villone would be a nice 5th starter.

17. kevwun

kevwun Member

I don't get it. Villone has pitched very well for Houston both times he's been here and costs almost nothing. Why do they keep getting rid of him?

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Let's see:

- The Astros pursue or sign high priced free agents, they get criticized

- The Astros don't pursue or sign high priced free agents, they get criticized

- The Astros keep veterans at the expense of younger players, they get criticized

- The Astros don't keep veterans at the expense of younger players, they get criticized

- The Astros resign their own free agents, they get criticized

- The Astros don't resign their own free agents, they get criticized

- The Astros sign their aging players to long term deals, they get criticized

- The Astros don't sign their aging players to long term deals, they get criticized

- The Astros trade youngsters in order to win now, they get criticized

- The Astros don't make any trading deadline deals, they get criticized

I think that about sums it up.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i wish i could fit that into my signature. great post, bobrek.

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I liked Merced, but last year, he really didn't do anything...From a utility perspective, I like Blumm, but I don't think he needs to be platooning with Morgan, because 3rd base is his...

I liked Villone too, but hopefully these moves are for better things ahead...