1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Interested in JT Realmuto

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

His multi game hitting streak was remarkable. Pinch hits, multiple days off. It was a thing of beauty

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Do people really believe this?

Hollywood Correa got a nose job - he didn't do it to be better at his sport.

3. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Can the nose affect performance? Absolutely. If the nostril canals are not allowing for proper air flow, it can affect breathing, especially under intense exercise.

4. LongTimeFan

[​IMG]

5. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

That would be nice. I came to this thread thinking I would escape it for a bit and see what's up on the JT front, wrong!

Too bad we don't have an irrelevant voting tab and once someone gets a few votes the comments get moved to a bickering thread and the poster is banned to posting in there for a week. Then the rest of us can talk actual sports in a sports thread and the toxic and clueless guys either learn and get it out of there system or go away. I know I'm living in a fantasy world but if I can't find out about the latest thoughts on trading triple and double A studs for an elite catcher my mind wanders off.

Happy New Year

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure about baseball since it's not an "intense" activity and there's a ton of standing around, but I know nasal flow and proper breathing techniques can significantly affect performance in more high-intensity sports (tennis, swimming, etc). That said, a deviated septum also can affect things like sleep or whatever, so he may have had non-baseball-reasons for doing it (including cosmetic).

7. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

My wife has had the same issue. She has opted against surgery and uses nose plugs used to open the nasal passages to alleviate snoring.

We are avid hikers that do a lot of intensive hiking, and especially at high altitudes her nose literally drains her energy away without the use of the plugs.

Laugh if u like but I get Carlos’ nose problem.

8. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

In the November article Rockets posted above Carlos mentions the difficulty he was having with breathing while playing the sport.

9. LongTimeFan

Of course he did it for non-baseball reasons. And of course he claims it will help him professionally instead of just saying what it was - a cosmetic nose job. That people actually believe he got a nose job because he couldn't run around the bases is laughable.

In the end, the actual act of it is meaningless. I just felt compelled to chime in because some people are trying to excuse his play because of an elective surgery.

10. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I don’t think anyone is making excuses for his poor play. Are we citing reasons for his poor play, that we hope he is now able to correct? Sure.

If you are going to make definitive claims about medical issues, I’d like to know—what is your profession?

11. raj87

raj87 Member

Many ladies I have known have spun a similar tale. Kindly note these same ladies all used hair extensions, had breast augmentations, and had their lips enlarged. Unsure as to why they would be ashamed of rhinoplasty?

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If it was truly a deviated septum, this is more likely a quality of life issue than a procedure to improve baseball performance. That said, very doubtful it is a cosmetic procedure.

13. Jeremy Williams

Septoplasty: During septoplasty, a surgeon, working through the inside of the nose, makes a small incision in the septum and then removes the excess bone or cartilage required to even out the breathing space of the nostrils.

This is significantly different than rhinoplasty, otherwise known as a nose job.

RockFanFirst and Joe Joe like this.
  14. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

FFS Marlins, shite or get off the pot.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL, so we're talking about Correa's nose now.

You never know what you're gonna get in this thread. I mean, you aren't gonna get any actual news involving a catcher, but otherwise anything's possible.

eric.81, Rileydog and mario elie like this.
  16. Jeremy Williams

Welcome to the exciting news/argument of the day!

This is what happens when the Astros stove is ICE COLD.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

In the non-news, sounds like Marlins have drawn a line in the sand. I expect any team trading for Realmuto will want to do it before January 11th as I doubt many teams would prefer themselves handling his arbitration than letting Miami possibly screw it up.

mikol13 likes this.
  18. Jeremy Williams

Good point about arbitration. At this point, if MIA isn't willing to come to its senses and negotiate a realistic deal, I'd put the odds of them trading Realmuto at 1%.

If that's the case, I'd say our catching situation is probably set, and we should focus on starting pitching and the DH, as well as trying to get something for at least one of our OF that does not have a home.

19. conquistador#11

Waiting for some JT news not nose job updates!
    [​IMG]
    But since you guys brought it up,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.