1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros have quit

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rvo384, Sep 24, 2023.

1. Buck Turgidson

You forgot Scottie Pippen

ROCKSS, MadMax and Rock Block like this.
  2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

What's so frustrating is that with just 2-3 more wins throughout the season, this team would probably be ALW Champs again and a bye.

It was obvious this team was buckling to the pressure this weekend.

I watched Altuve (especially), Bregman, and Tucker swing at pitches they had no business swinging at and weren't swinging at a month ago.

3. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

It is amazing how stressed and tired this team is with all of the "Scheduled Day Offs" they have gotten. It is like those days off don't really matter, but having a comfortable lead does. Who knew? Maybe the Atlanta Braves.

4. Screaming Fist

The differential in xwOBA between Astros hitting and pitching over the past week has been significantly greater than the season average. They have actually played pretty well outside of their fielding, it's just that in baseball anything can happen over a brief stretch of games. No team can will themselves to winning at a .700+ clip on demand because even if they did perform better they would still need good luck for something like that to happen. The trick is to avoid these situations to begin with.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While what you say maybe true, if they continue to play like the last two weeks, they are toast in the first playoff series.
    So having a better record pales in terms of need compared to just playing well.

6. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Crazy as it may sound, I expect them to sweep Seattle and make the playoffs.
    Too many times over the last six years they have come back with their backs against the wall and in the clutch....usually in the playoffs already.
    They just always seem to find a way to win.
    I still have confidence they will get it together on the road.

Madmanmetz, ROCKSS and MadMax like this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

My gut says we take the 3rd wildcard over the Mariners by 1 game when its all said and done.
    My head says these guys have mentally already checked out.

panamamyers likes this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

No worries, they will get off a month early this year.

9. Qan

Qan Member

So because of what Dusty had done to lose early "unimportant" games, now it's starting to rear its ugly head and the consequences are apparent. I want to see Diaz catch tonight because their offense sucks enough already without Maldy out there batting.

10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Quit, no; tired, yes. Bad defense comes from not focused, or tired, or manager not preaching fundamentals. Then the manager doesn't care about balls and strikes, he probaly think it is part of the game. And too lazy to pull pitchers because he wants a full inning from his relievers. And starting pitchers have been horrid, so many times by the 3rd Inning we have a big deficit. You can make a game out of 1-2 runs, but it seems like the Stros get a big deficit early.

lw17 and Radricky like this.
  11. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Being tired is no excuse. This defense has been little league all season.

BlindHog likes this.
  12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I sincerely wish I could strip the fandom from every single poster in this thread. Good lord. It's not just the ridiculous doom & gloom (though that's certainly reason enough): it's the pissy-baby entitlement of somehow being upset that the team is about to make it's 8th trip to the postseason since 2015 - a number that would tie their franchise total through it's first 52 years.

Like, seriously, I do not understand you people...

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The real days off that never happened were among Javier, Brown, Framber, and France.

Dusty pretended everything just fine though.

lw17 likes this.
  14. AkeemTheDreem86

WHAT A BUNCH OF QUITTERS!!!

TracywtFacy and cbass like this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They quit listening to the Dusty Haters.....

16. jayfree

jayfree Member

Funny how 100 wins or 90 wins makes no difference to the Astros now in the post season. We underestimated the absurdity of the West division and how unclutch and untested Texas and Seattle were.

#56 jayfree, Oct 1, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
  17. AkeemTheDreem86

Speak for yourself, young buck!

18. jayfree

jayfree Member

If you knew me 2 weeks prior you wouldn't think that. 2 weeks ago I turned to the dark side and the Astros started winning. Took one for the team. Be happy to take more lickings if it means more wins so bring it ;)

19. AkeemTheDreem86

Thank you for your service!

jayfree likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It wasn’t the Stros that quit’