1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros have quit

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rvo384, Sep 24, 2023.

1. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Spin it anyway you want. They quit.

lw17, Bobbythegreat, jayfree and 3 others like this.
  2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. Can't dispute that.

lw17 likes this.
  3. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Other teams are just better than them.

Younger. Hungrier. Stronger.

lw17, Jake Tower and InTheGroove like this.
  4. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Also another thing. Dusty is fine if they don’t make it since he doesn’t have a contract.

lw17 likes this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I equate it to when Rocky didn't throw the white towel in time when Apollo was getting pummeled by Drago. Not exactly quitting when you are getting your collective asses pounded around.

lw17 and whiskeyred like this.
  6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

No "heart of a champion" with this team. Disappointing to see a team with so much talent and experience flounder this bad. Not sure what's going on, but something feels very wrong.

lw17 and whiskeyred like this.
  7. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

8. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Yeah this is a lack of leadership

IBTL likes this.
  9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. All season this has been pretty obvious. Also throw in that we had a terrible geezer manager really holding the team back by benching the young and hungry players that we do have.

Another thing is that we didn’t have the same Framber or Javier. No Luis Garcia. We didn’t have McCullers to help us at home, and to at least eat a few innings for us. Verlander isn’t the same either and when he was at his best this year, it was while he was with the mets. JV was already almost spent when we traded for him. I don’t think he can make it through a full season anymore and still be effective.

Dusty starting Maldy over Diaz was a huge glaring problem. I’m very surprised the front office allowed it, especially after Diaz started mashing. It’s like they just let Dusty make the obvious wrong choice over and over again and just took the consequences. What the hell is that???

The Chas issue was also glaring. The front office did nothing about this either. They let it fester until the media finally jumped on it and blew it up. That was an unnecessary distraction that could’ve been avoided by simply playing the obvious better player, whether it’s Dusty making that decision or someone over him forcing it.

Bregman played every game but 1. It’s clearly taken it’s toll on his performance down the stretch and that is 100% Dusty’s fault. Dubon at 3B a handful of times would’ve been an easy thing to do.

In my opinion, these factors weighed heaviest against us all year.

1. The pitching fell apart
    2. Team was tired down the stretch from last 2 years of WS runs and also international play.
    3. Awful, selfish, sabotaging, out of touch geezer manager.
    4. Horrible contract to Abreu in the offseason.
    5. Players weren’t hungry enough to turn the ship around.

#9 Tomstro, Sep 24, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    lw17, hou$tonScrew$tonTX, AXG and 7 others like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Framber said something similar a day or two ago. :rolleyes:

“We’re still the Houston Astros.”

OK cool hook’em.

Didn’t help you beat the A’s or Royals.

“Tomorrow we’re going to have to flip that switch and activate playoff mode.” As for why the Astros haven’t activated it already, Alvarez replied, “I don’t know. Maybe it’s one of those things that we didn’t feel it because we were in first place.”

“We're still the Houston Astros. We're still the champs.”

“We’re Houston.”

lw17 likes this.
  11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

An off-season at home while they're watching other teams in October might be good. A new manager with some strategic FA signings to bolster pitching is really the only pressing need to bring them back. It's depressing as **** watching this play out, but the big picture remains. Getting Dusty's crusty ass out of here will do wonders.

lw17, solid, ryan_98 and 2 others like this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Lol he's such a ****ing moron.

Rvo384 likes this.
  13. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

a city also known for "missed 27 threes in a row", "lost 24-0 lead against chiefs", "lost to mavs by 40 in game 7", "lost to spurs without parker or kawhi in an elimination game", "couldn't beat a wild card national team in the WS", "got swept in the world series".

a lot more failure than success i'd say.

lw17, youknowme, REEKO_HTOWN and 2 others like this.
  14. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

The attitude must be rampant throughout the clubhouse because Dubon has only been there since last year.

lw17 likes this.
  15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I hear ya but getting to the WS and losing isn’t really failing.

AznH-TownFan and Jake Tower like this.
  16. scott_summers

scott_summers Member

Man some of you people on here. They have given us the Golden Era of Astros Baseball. The minute they have a bad stretch u people wanna abandon them.
    I really doubt Jose Altuve has quit.
    And what were yall doing during the 100 loss seasons? I guess you weren't watching then either.
    They are in the middle of a race.
    I guess yall would only watch if they were 10 games up and clinched a playoff spot already huh?
    I acknowledge they are in a bad spot.
    I know this team can flip a switch on any day and beat the **** out of any team in MLB.
    So until they are mathematically eliminated
    Go ****ing Astros

17. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

why couldn't they do it against the 100 losses teams for 3 series?

lw17 likes this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I promise you Dubon probably doesn’t know of those events and wasn’t referencing the Astros from decades ago or other sports franchises that play in other sports

lw17 and Bregatron like this.
  19. Newlin

Newlin Member

I wouldn’t say they have quit. But, the starting pitching the second half has been awful. Dusty playing Maldonado has been awful. Our fielding hasn’t been as good this year. It all adds up to more losses. We’ve had a good run, but it was bound to end at some point.

lw17 and Kim like this.
  20. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

The starting pitching isn’t the same reason for the terrible at bats and plate discipline.