1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros.Com] Redding: Trade me if I'm not a starter

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Feb 22, 2005.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

This is comedy. Is he really trying to threaten the Astros with this? Haha, yeah, nice try. Go ahead and walk. I have no problems trading him for anyone in the league not named Micelli.

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

It's not too big a feat to not give up more than 3 runs when you're lifted prior to the 6th inning of every start.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... and there were a few times that year when he'd allow a huge inning, after something as little as a 2-out error (thus, all the runs were unearned)... and it was clear that while his stuff was great, his head was not.

That's really the only issue here... his decision making. He doesn't throw the right pitch on 0-2, 1-2... he doesn't mix in his breaking ball enough... and he has bizzare lapses in control that truly occur randomly (hell, I've seen him walk the pitcher before... after getting thru the hardest part of the lineup with ease.)

4. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

He went effectively for 7 innings sometimes. But yeah, you are right about his decision making, Nick. Like I said before, I'm not just saying that he should be the 5th, but that he's proven himself in a good way moreso then the others in contention.

I just hope Carlos Hernandez can gain back his velocity sometime in the remotely close future, and then all this talk about Redding would be a moot point. I was at the game of his career where he went 8 innings and got his first win. It was sweet.

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Bottom line is that our 5th starter will win maybe 8 games this year and have an ERA between 4 and 5...regardless of who is out there. Given the fact that Redding hasn't gotten it done AND is b****ing about getting another chance, get rid of him and let Munro, Carlos or one of the young guys take a shot.

I'd rather face his stuff than watch it fly over our LF's head into the Crawford boxes.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, i definitely find myself rooting for Carlos in this little battle.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

As much as Redding's comments annoy me, I don't think this is the season for the Astros to give up on the guy. Last year, maybe. Because we're contenders who can't afford to wait or be distracted by someone like Redding. But next year is pretty much a rebuilding year. And Redding's stuff is just too good to be given up for trash.

I'm not sure why he's so hesitant to go to the pen. It could work out well. Garner could make him the 7th inning guy. It doesn't pressure of later innings, and allow him to simply overpower some hitters. The Astros rotation, minus Oswalt, is simply not built to go deep into games. Having someone to fill such a gap is necessary anyway for the Astros.

8. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

if you think our pen is bad now.....it will get worse if/when redding gets there

this is a guy who cannot pitch with runners on base

on the flip side, he seems to be ok the 1st time thru the lineup...so perhaps a one inning game is right up his alley

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

What an azz...I mean, if he performed consistently, then it would be a non-issue...But the guy sux...I'm not sure we'd get anything for this guy...

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Why does he have to pitch with guys on base? Most relievers come in at the beginning of the inning anyway. And his problems with men on base was only a problem last year.

Most of major league relievers were starters at some point in their career, so there's no reason to think he can't make the transition. Whether he can take on the role, of course, is another story.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You have to want to do it and be mentally tough. Redding doesn't want to do what's best for the team AND he's a mental midget. He could make the transition and he might be good at it. Everyone know's he can pitch. Everyone also knows that if you are patient, you will get a pitch right down Broadway because he gets frustrated when you don't swing at the first 3 pitches in the at bat.

12. benzman501

benzman501 Member

Hey Tim, trade this ass clown with no talent!

13. Summer Song Giver

He should porve;) he is starter material otherwise STFU.

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

In Spring Training don't even give him a shot at starting. Put him in the pen for at least the first month. If he proves himself fine, move him to the 5th spot.

That and tell him that if he opens his mouth again, the only media he'll have to give demands to will be in Round Rock.

15. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

I wish we could send him back down again....but out of options. Tim, pack your bags...I think you have worn out your welcome in Houston.